Your thoughts on these

Old December 20th 05, 05:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Your thoughts on these

Flowers
http://www.brendemuehl.net/images/IMGP1403800.jpg

Violin
http://www.brendemuehl.net/images/IMGP1400800.jpg

I have gleaned some other reviews from PDML and also have my own ideas.
But more is useful.

The flowers are "good" as is, but would have been better @ a higher
f-stop so that the background would fall out.

Same with the violin except that the addition of some sheet music or
other interesting component would make it more complete.

Collin

Old December 20th 05, 06:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Cheesehead wrote:
Flowers
http://www.brendemuehl.net/images/IMGP1403800.jpg

Violin
http://www.brendemuehl.net/images/IMGP1400800.jpg

I have gleaned some other reviews from PDML and also have my own ideas.
But more is useful.

The flowers are "good" as is, but would have been better @ a higher
f-stop so that the background would fall out.

Same with the violin except that the addition of some sheet music or
other interesting component would make it more complete.

Collin

The flowers photo is fantastic.

Scott

Old December 20th 05, 06:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

The flowers are "good" as is, but would have been better @ a higher
f-stop so that the background would fall out.

I think the flower picture is already pretty good. If I wanted to add
something more to it, I'd look for something to create more mood or drama in
the lighting, and see if I could compose the shot with the flowers a little
less in the center. And as a technical nit-pick, I'd try to get the table
level, although if I couldn't, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Same with the violin except that the addition of some sheet music or
other interesting component would make it more complete.

I think I'd play around with having the violin upright, but that's just
me. And there's a lot of character in the wood of the violin, you could
move in closer, use some more contrast in the lighting, and play with that -
but that may be headed in an entirely different direction than you mean to
go. One of the best things about shooting a still life is that you can
arrange it in many different ways. One of the WORST things is having to
take all of your really good shots and decide which you like the most,
especially when they're all terrific, just different.

steve

Old December 20th 05, 06:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Thanks.

Also,
(if equipment matters)
Pentax DS digital
lighting: 2 Sunpak 611 units @ about 25-30 deg. off either side,
left through umbrella, right through soft box.

Collin

Old December 20th 05, 07:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

The purpose was really just as an exercise.
Stills aren't my favorite or main venue, but
doing them on occasion does keep up my
knowledge and practice with lighting and settings.

Collin

Old December 21st 05, 03:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

I like the mood of the flower shot. It sort of looks old and dignified. I
think the patterned background is good.
I wonder if it woud be even better cropped tighter.
The scratch on the table in both shots bothers me. It could be fixed easily
in PS.
The violin shot does nothing for me. Maybe if it were at a different angle
or lit differently or the texture of the wood was more evident...
ds

Old December 21st 05, 03:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

I like the mood of the flower shot. It sort of looks old and dignified. I
think the patterned background is good.
I wonder if it would be even better cropped tighter.

Old December 21st 05, 12:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Thanks.
My further thoughts about a suitable background are leaning toward
a more classic 19 c. curtain. That might add more completeness
to the sense of age and maturity of the content.

Collin