SD Replacing Compact Flash?

Old September 27th 04, 06:10 PM
Larry R Harrison Jr

I guess I'm being a nut, but I'm so adament about this that even
though I'm pro-Nikon and to some extent anti-Canon, I may well lean
towards Canon with regards to carry-everywhere cameras (like Powershot
A95, vs Coolpix 5200) instead of Nikon simply because Canon still uses
Compact Flash even with their compact cameras while Nikon has gone to
Secure Digital. I might even prefer the Canon Digital Rebel to the
Pentax *ist DS in the D-SLR realm because of the *ist DS being a SD
camera (although my real "dream" camera in the D-SLR world is the
Nikon D70).

You see how compact Nikon's Coolpix 3100 and 4300 were with Compact
Flash, so it's like--why change? Why not still offer both? Yeah the
5200 and Nikon's other compact Coolpixes are really small, but so were
the 4300 and 3100. Who says you MUST change to SD to continue to be
small?

I actually prefer Sony's Memory Stick (and MS Pro) to SD even though
obviously it's far more propretiary than SD. Why? Because it doesn't
threaten Compact Flash's continued existence, and because even Sony
with their DSC-F828 and DSC-V3 made their cameras able to handle
either Compact Flash or Memory Stick. I sort of give Sony some
creditability for embracing a universal standard like Compact Flash
even as they still use Memory Stick in those cameras (and only Memory
Stick with their compact models).

It won't happen, but I frankly kind of hope SD goes the way of APS
film. Despite its compactness I just see no reason for the compact
world to totally embrace it and totally dump Compact Flash altogether.
Kudos to Canon (I can't believe I'm saying that) for keeping Compact
Flash in their small point & shoot cameras.

LRH

LRH
Old September 27th 04, 09:14 PM
Ron Hunter

Larry R Harrison Jr wrote:
[...]

I don't think you will see anything replacing CF cards, at least not for
a decade. They are still pretty prevasive, in devices that need large
storage sizes and have room for the larger format. As for SD cards,
they are just bit smaller than I am comfortable with, but the trend
seems to be toward even smaller formats. I don't see any advantage,
other than physical dimensions, to the SD format.
Old September 27th 04, 09:46 PM
Larry R Harrison Jr

"Ron Hunter" wrote in message
[snip] the trend
seems to be toward even smaller formats. I don't see any advantage, other
than physical dimensions, to the SD format.

Yeah, one day we might see "Micro SD" or something like that--something
which makes SD look like a boulder-sized rock.

I know what you mean about comfort--I've never had a problem misplacing my
Compact Flash cards or even my Sony Memory Stick, but somehow I think I'd be
prone to misplacing the SD cards they're so tiny.

LRH

Old September 28th 04, 01:24 AM
Ron Hunter

Larry R Harrison Jr wrote:
"Ron Hunter" wrote in message
[snip] the trend

seems to be toward even smaller formats. I don't see any advantage, other
than physical dimensions, to the SD format.

Yeah, one day we might see "Micro SD" or something like that--something
which makes SD look like a boulder-sized rock.

I know what you mean about comfort--I've never had a problem misplacing my
Compact Flash cards or even my Sony Memory Stick, but somehow I think I'd be
prone to misplacing the SD cards they're so tiny.

LRH

And the xD cards are about half the size of the SD cards. At that
point, don't drop it on a shag carpet....

Old September 28th 04, 07:48 AM
Brian Rusten

"Larry R Harrison Jr" wrote in message
Yeah, one day we might see "Micro SD" or something like that--something
which makes SD look like a boulder-sized rock.

Well, Mini SD is already around : http://www.sandisk.com/retail/minisd.asp

:-)