anti-yellow light film

Old October 2nd 04, 05:45 PM
Developwebsites

Default anti-yellow light film

I've noticed that in places (museums, mansions) where photography is not
allowed they use some type of low ceiling yellow light
that renders photos too dark. The lamps seem to be placed
at precise spots where tourists would want to take photos.
I've used ISO400 inside the Museum of Natural History in NYC, but the photos
came out too dark as all the dinos were back-lit by the yellow light of doom.

What film and/or ISO is good to use in very dark places that would defeat
this anti-photography system.(perhaps all it would take is a stronger flash?)

Old October 2nd 04, 06:17 PM
BandHPhoto

I've noticed that in places (museums, mansions) where photography is not
allowed they use some type of low ceiling yellow light that renders photos too
dark.

The purpose of this lightng is not to prevebt photography but to reduce the
chance that the light will bleach or otherwise damage the displays. It also
makes it easier to see through the display glass without distracting
reflections.

You should consider using the fastest film possible -- ISO 1000 or more -- and
an 80B filter to reduce the yellow cast.
- --

regards,
Henry Posner/B&H Photo-Video
http://www.bhphotovideo.com

Old October 2nd 04, 07:19 PM
Joseph Meehan

Henry has it right. They are not trying to make life hard on you, they
are just trying to protect their treasures.

His suggestions on film and filtering are good.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old October 3rd 04, 02:19 AM
William Graham

"Developwebsites" wrote in message
I've noticed that in places (museums, mansions) where photography is not
allowed they use some type of low ceiling yellow light
that renders photos too dark. The lamps seem to be placed
at precise spots where tourists would want to take photos.
I've used ISO400 inside the Museum of Natural History in NYC, but the

photos
came out too dark as all the dinos were back-lit by the yellow light of

doom.

What film and/or ISO is good to use in very dark places that would defeat
this anti-photography system.(perhaps all it would take is a stronger

flash?)

Perhaps a digital camera would work? The sensing plane might be sensitive to
the peculiar spectrum of the yellow light........

Old October 8th 04, 08:54 PM
me

Set your camera to manual, meter off a gray card or similar colored surface
that is receiving the same light as the subject or better still take an
incidence reading, use 800ISO Fuji Superia. Works for me.

"Developwebsites" wrote in message
I've noticed that in places (museums, mansions) where photography is not
allowed they use some type of low ceiling yellow light
that renders photos too dark. The lamps seem to be placed
at precise spots where tourists would want to take photos.
I've used ISO400 inside the Museum of Natural History in NYC, but the

photos
came out too dark as all the dinos were back-lit by the yellow light of

doom.

What film and/or ISO is good to use in very dark places that would defeat
this anti-photography system.(perhaps all it would take is a stronger

flash?)

Focal plane vs. leaf shutters in MF SLRs KM Medium Format Photography Equipment 724 December 7th 04 09:58 AM
Now its Ilford jjs In The Darkroom 86 September 5th 04 04:00 PM
ALDEN-74 BULK FILM LOADER - This will be in 35mm and darkroom and no other postings Richard Knoppow In The Darkroom 0 July 14th 04 09:05 PM
below $1000 film vs digital Mike Henley Medium Format Photography Equipment 182 June 25th 04 03:37 AM
film for outdoor portraits in strong light? Phillean Film & Labs 3 October 9th 03 09:12 AM