Is Quality Control going out the window?

Old October 4th 04, 02:10 PM
jimkramer

"Dallas" wrote in message
newsan.2004.10.02.05.37.19.115000@realphoto...
On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 13:09:22 -0400, jimkramer had this to say:

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
Dallas wrote:

Every single bit of Sony equipment I have works and works very well,

including
the "Walkman" I have here which is near 25 years old.

Me too; but remember who you are talking to.

Jim Kramer

Okay.

All Sony products are wonderful and everyone should buy them

--
DD™
"And that's all I got to say about that" ~ FG

Now, just say the same thing about Canon and all will be forgiven ;-)

Jim Kramer

Old October 5th 04, 02:10 AM
Uranium Committee

Dallas wrote in message news:pan.2004.09.30.16.00.28.282000@realphoto...

No, out the door....

Not wanting to start anything up, but I am hearing more than just a few
reports of discontent from early 20D owners. Are there QC issues with the
camera?

Are manufacturers cutting QC corners just to have the latest thing out
first? This is not just limited to Canon, but I have also heard of
problems with the Nikkor AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8 EDIF VR not working.
Fortunately I haven't had any problems with my lens, but with the amount
of electronics involved, I don't expect it to work forever without some
kind of trouble.

Similarly, I wonder if Konica Minolta will have a bug free anti-shake
system in their new DSLR?

What's your opinion on the rate at which new technology is being foisted
on the imaging sector in relation to the QC of the products we buy?

Old October 7th 04, 08:39 AM
Sander Vesik

Chris Brown wrote:
In article pan.2004.09.30.16.00.28.282000@realphoto,
Dallas wrote:
Not wanting to start anything up, but I am hearing more than just a few
reports of discontent from early 20D owners. Are there QC issues with the
camera?

It sounds like the reported problems are software related. Sad to say (and I

people often forget that printers, scanners, digital (ok, not only digital,
applies to af film cameras aswell) are really embedded computers running
some "contraption".

Which is why printers, scanners and copiers by a company that will not
be named getting stuck in various states and needing a powerdown more
often than convinient is relevant to photography.

say this as a software engineer myself), the software industry is relatively
immature compared to many other engineering disciplines, and has "issues"
regarding its ability to turn out consistently reliable products. To a large
extent, software that drives personal computers and related consumer
electronics (such as digital cameras - you know the digital EOSes run an
MS-DOS clone?) does tend to rely somewhat on the early end-users discovering
problems.

As it happens, Canon have just announced new firmware for this camera.
Hopefully this should fix these teething troubles.

Maybe they should make it inconvinient for their developers to reboot the
protoype testbeds...

--
Sander

+++ Out of cheese error +++