Is Quality Control going out the window?

Old October 1st 04, 01:56 PM
Matt White

Gordon Moat wrote:

Dallas wrote:

[snip]
I have heard a great deal about Sony P&S digital cameras expiring very
ccourtesyy the warranty period, so perhaps they are doing this correctly

prod a forced upgrade path. Phone makers already do this.

[snip]

Little bit of a story follows.

At the camera shop I work at, we carry very few Sony products, but we do
offer to ship cameras to them for repair as a courtesy to our customers.
Long story short, the problem isn't with build quality of Sony products,
but it's with the absolutely awful customer support they give. Little
things like a non-refundable, non-deductible $50 estimate fee for repairs,
when almost all other manufacturers only charge $10 or $15, or even none at
all on good days with Nikon or Canon. Things like 3 month wait times, and
missing parts when they finally do ship repairs back. Things like never
returning calls.

It got so bad that we now only ship repairs to Sony if the product is on
warranty, and was bought at our store. If it's out of warranty or was
bought elsewhere, we just give the customer Sony's address and tell them
how to properly package cameras for shipping. I'll never buy Sony again,
and I'll never recommend them again but it's _not_ due to build quality
issues. Just my two cents.

- Matt White

Old October 1st 04, 02:10 PM
Chris B

"Gordon Moat" wrote in message

With the smaller Sony electronics, they are usually well made, but many

have
partial failures near the end of the warranty. It could just be the

climate, and
overuse in this area, but there certainly seem to be many returns.

Undoubtedly,
most are probably fine, and never have problems . . . though hearing of so

many
makes one wonder about quality control.

Reading this made me remember something, which partially goes against my
other post, but nevermind

I had an Ericsson A1018s some years ago which failed after a year or so with
an antenna fault. Basically, it would connect to the network, but was unable
to make or recieve calls. A few years later I bought an Ericsson T68. After
about a year, it failed in exactly the same way. Now, there was probably
five or more years of development between these two phones, but when I
looked into it, apparently the failure was caused by poor design - and other
Ericsson phones had exactly the same problem. Ericsson must have known they
had a design flaw which they kept building into their phones, yet they
didn't seem to rectify it. However, they did replace my T68 under warranty
and it's replacement (a Sony Ericsson T68i) didn't fail in the same way.
Newer Sony-Ericssons don't seem to suffer from it.

Chris.

Old October 1st 04, 02:18 PM
jimkramer

"Dallas" wrote in message
newsan.2004.09.30.21.18.14.463000@realphoto...
On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 18:52:18 +0000, John McWilliams had this to say:

Dallas wrote:
Not wanting to start anything up, ......

But that's a flat out lie..... unless your previous posting history over
the last couple of months is wholly irrelevant.

john mcwilliams

Hey, does anybody know who this John McWilliams guy is?

--
DD™
"And that's all I got to say about that" ~ FG

One of the lucky few in my killfile?

Old October 1st 04, 02:31 PM
Dallas

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 16:48:31 -0400, Alan Browne had this to say:

Gordon Moat wrote:

I think ideally for the manufacturers, they would make products that
expire just past the warranty period. With the ever changing pace of
direct digital cameras, they should want people to get the next thing
often, and continue the "upgrade" path . . . much like marketing of
computers a few years ago.

I don't think they need to fail for people to upgrade. People seek the
best (apparent) performance and upggrae on their own. Never changes,
change.

I have heard a great deal about Sony P&S digital cameras expiring very
close to the warranty period, so perhaps they are doing this correctly
to prod a forced upgrade path. Phone makers already do this.

You only hear about the ones that fail. You don't hear about the ones
that keep on ticking and ticking and... I've had my current Nokia cell
phone for 3 years, it has fallen off of my car (in motion) and scattered
its parts all over the road ... still works after reassembly. My prior
Nokia went to my ex-wife (got to love the PIN card) and she is still using
it.

Cheers,
Alan

Well let's not talk about cellphones! But seeing as you brought it up...

My original cellphone was a Nokia 5110 which is still going strong today,
nearly 6 years after I first got it. It is now my 7 year old son's latest
toy! My second Nokia was a 3310 which although it is still working, has
given me endless trouble. It's been in for repair so many times that its a
joke. I know a LOT of people who have the same problems with that
particular phone.

When I got my last upgrade I thought I would try something different and
got a Motorola 720i. What a lot of crap. It really sucks.

I'll get a new phone about midway through next year and I am wondering if
I ought to get a Samsung - they seem to be very good.

Old October 1st 04, 03:39 PM
Dallas

On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 12:56:49 +0000, Matt White had this to say:

[...]

I hear you!

I have had a lot of **** with EVERY single piece of Sony equipment I have
ever bought. From CD writers to mini-hifi's to VCR's, you name it. They
have all been sub-standard.

Sony is a greedy company that is out to screw everybody in the name of
profit, recording artists included.

They will not see any more of my money.

Old October 1st 04, 03:39 PM
Dallas

On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 11:38:16 +0000, Al Denelsbeck had this to say:

Dallas wrote in

Dallas wrote:
Not wanting to start anything up, ......

But that's a flat out lie..... unless your previous posting history
over the last couple of months is wholly irrelevant.

john mcwilliams

Hey, does anybody know who this John McWilliams guy is?

Observant?

Ha. Ha.

Seriously, I don't think I have seen the name before, but he seems to
think he knows me quite well.

He might be one of the 300D owners I recently insulted by calling their
camera a piece of over-priced crap. Oh well, can't please everybody.

Old October 1st 04, 03:39 PM
Dallas

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 22:58:27 -0700, Mark M had this to say:

"Dallas" wrote in message
newsan.2004.09.30.16.00.28.282000@realphoto...
Not wanting to start anything up

Great!
Does this mean you're gonna silence your pie hole? -I just want you to
know that I support your efforts 100%!

Bye bye, Markie, sweet ****ING dreams!

Old October 1st 04, 05:38 PM
McBarker

Dallas wrote:
[...]

I had a near "top of the line" model Sony VCR which performed really
poorly (terrible recordings and really poor playback quality of
commercial movie tapes). It got so bad that I that I threw it out of my
second story window. That was the most enjoyment I ever had with the
unit.

On the other hand, I have a Sony Artisan computer monitor which is
excellent (but pricey). The included software didn't include a Windows
monitor driver file (.inf), and since WinXP recognized the unit only as
a generic monitor, I tried calling their technical support. No one there
had ever heard of a Windows .inf file for their monitors, and basically
told me that I didn't know what I was talking about. After a lot of
searching on their website, I finally found the file I needed. Even
their tech support staff is clueless.