M42 System

Old January 5th 04, 05:27 AM
Sam Graham

Default M42 System

As a poor student (or rather a student, which, by definition, should make me
poor) I'm looking to get a camera set-up that is good quality but doesn't
cost a lot. In fact, costs very little.

I've been looking at things that might be somewhat redundant. There seem to
be a lot of M42 lenses around that are cheap. There also seem to be a fair
amount of bodies that take these m42 lenses that are cheap as well.

My understanding is that these are decent quality. Good quality. So:
1) Are the lenses good quality, desite their likely age?
2) What camera bodies would be recommended?

Thank you.

Sam

Old January 5th 04, 05:34 AM
Sam Graham

Sorry - this was meant to be posed to the equipment newsgroup. Ignore it
(unless you've got something to say!).

Old January 18th 04, 07:07 PM
Harris Austin

About the best of the M42 stuff is the Fujica ST-801..they hold up(however
you'd better figure on redoing the light seals on just about any of them you
buy) the finder is the brightest of the older M42's and they handle well and
take the easy to find PX-28 battery. As for lenses,..well,the older Tamron
Adaptall stuff is pretty good and prices are pretty good. The 80-210 F 3.8/4
zoom is pretty good and they go for as low as $50 on Ebay.