N80 vs. F100, Do I really need to spend twice as much??

Old September 17th 04, 02:17 PM
Michael Benveniste

"ds" wrote in message
om...

Things that kinda suck:
- 92% viewfinder coverage over 96% for the F100
- cheaper build quality
- uhh, what else really?

Unless you're using AF-S lenses (or the third party equivalents),
the N/F80's AF speed is slower than the F100. The N80 is also
lacking a flash sync (PC) terminal, but I use a Wein Safe Sync
even on my F100.

OTOH, with the N80 you don't get to spend an extra $40 on a "nifty"
MC-30 Remote Cord, either.

The going price for an F100, either used or new, is likely to be
volatile for a while, due to the F6 announcement. An additional
price drop of $100-$200 wouldn't shock me.

--
Michael Benveniste --

Old September 17th 04, 06:12 PM
columbotrek

I own both bodies. The useful features which the F100 has over the F80
not already mentioned IMHO are. F100's cam 1300 AF system. Is so much
better than the F80's cam 900 that it is able to AF in much lower light
levels. It does not have or need the focus annoy light. It focuses
very well in light levels where my eyes have a hard time of it and to
where you will require a tripod or a speed light. And if you use a
Speed light, Say a SB-28 or 800, those come with a near IR patterned
focus assist lamp which works better on the white lamp of the N80. Does
not have the lens limitations of the built in lamp either. The F100
keeps a database of your exposures for download through its serial port.
A feature not available on the F80. The F100 uses a removable battery
holder with holders for AA's and CR123s should you so desire whereas the
F80 has a fixed battery compartment which accepts the CR123s only. The
F100's back is removable as is the focus screen. I replaced my focus
screen for the one with the frame lines like on my F80. The F100 uses
1/3 stop steps to the F80's 1/2 stop steps. All that said, I still use
my F80 as much as I use the F100. It is lighter for one and most of the
time I don't miss the high end features of the F100. Although the F6
has piked my attention. I may be selling my F80 and F100 and maybe a
range finder or two to get one

ds wrote:
Could I get some opinions from some Nikon users out there? I'm really
having trouble deciding, and I just don't want to sell myself short in
the long run by geting the N80.

Old September 17th 04, 06:36 PM
Phil Stripling

columbotrek said, in pertinent part:
A feature not available on the F80. The F100 uses a removable battery
holder with holders for AA's and CR123s should you so desire whereas the
F80 has a fixed battery compartment which accepts the CR123s only. The

The CR123s last quite awhile, and I have a spare pair clipped to my camera
bag. Also, please note that there is a battery pack grip for the N80
(MB-16) which allows you to use AAs on the camera. I don't know anything
about it, so I can't comment on length of battery life and such. At $70, if
the AAs have a short life, it may not be worth the cost of grip plus
batteries. Carrying a spare pair of 123s has worked for me so far.

(Of course, I've carried backup batteries since my Nikon FG was a new
purchase. :- Heavy duty pros who run thousands of rolls through their
camera each week may have different opinons about a pair of spare 123s.)