Old February 2nd 05, 12:22 AM
Gilbert

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 21:52:09 -0800, David Nebenzahl r loading
technique will correct it.

Actually, after last night's wrestling match between a plastic reel and a
36-exposure roll of film, it seems to me that even high humidity can make a
reel unloadable.

You're right. On summer holidyas I load film in a changing bag. With
the heat and my hands in a black bag, they begin to sweat. The
humidity in the bag rises and films get very difficult to load.

A tip:

When you have difficulties loading certain films in your darkroom, use
the infrared mode (nightshot) of your videocamera. Take care not to
let the light from the screen or eyepiece get to the film by using a
darkcloth. You cdan even develop films by inspection this way.

Gilbert

_____________
http://www.apug.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15
Voor fans van films
Old February 4th 05, 02:57 PM
Jean-David Beyer

Stefan Patric wrote:
On Saturday 29 January 2005 15:31, Andrew Price wrote:

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 15:12:26 -0800, Stefan Patric
wrote:

[---]

I think the main reason SS reels have such a bad rep is that tyro
photographers are so excited about the propects of developing and
printing their own stuff, that that enthusiasm leads to impatience --
because they want to "get on with it" -- and they fail to take the
time to learn proper technique, and naturally have problems, which
causes frustrations, resulting in accusations and the laying of blame
for their diffulties on the reel -- because the film doesn't load
right -- and not properly on their bad technique. Thus, garnering the
lowly SS reel its "hard to load" reputation.

So why don't plastic reels have the same reputation?

They do. Sort of. Ever tried to load a plastic reel that's not
totally, 100%, Sahara Desert bone dry? It won't. And no amount of
proper loading technique will correct it.

Had a friend, who used plastic reels, always kept a portable hair dryer
in the darkroom to dry the damn things when making multiple developing
runs. It worked most of the time, but if he didn't get rid every drop
of water or damp spot... The language. And the volume.

I use both plastic (Jobo 2500 series) reels and Stainless Nikor reels. I
have much more trouble loading the plastic reels than the stainless ones.
The only reason I use them is they fit my Jobo processor and it is more
convenient to use them. But sometimes I have to completely unload the
plastic reels and start over. Not a pleasure, and risks fingerprints on
the negatives.

^^-^^ 09:55:00 up 15 days, 18:09, 3 users, load average: 4.19, 4.05, 3.66

Old February 7th 05, 04:17 AM
Stefan Patric

On Friday 04 February 2005 06:57, Jean-David Beyer wrote:

Stefan Patric wrote:
On Saturday 29 January 2005 15:31, Andrew Price wrote:

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 15:12:26 -0800, Stefan Patric
wrote:

[---]

[...]

The only plastic reels I own are the Jobo ones for 4x5 -- you know, the
ones the require the little loading jig. Never had any problems, once I
got the hang of loading them. I only do b&w with them. Use an old
Beseler color print roller base for agitiation. Works quite well.
(Don't own a Jobo processor.) Everything else goes on my SS Nikkors. I
even have some 220 reels (bought them from a photographer at a photo
equipment swap meet years ago) that are designed to go into "standard"
size Nikkor tanks. It's very convenient not needing the larger
diameter 220 tanks to do 220.

--
Stefan Patric
NoLife Polymath Group

Old February 7th 05, 03:09 PM
Jean-David Beyer

Stefan Patric wrote:

I use both plastic (Jobo 2500 series) reels and Stainless Nikor reels.
I have much more trouble loading the plastic reels than the stainless
ones. The only reason I use them is they fit my Jobo processor and it
is more convenient to use them. But sometimes I have to completely
unload the plastic reels and start over. Not a pleasure, and risks
fingerprints on the negatives.

The only plastic reels I own are the Jobo ones for 4x5 -- you know, the
ones the require the little loading jig. Never had any problems, once I
got the hang of loading them.

I use those too. I never have trouble loading the 4x5 reels. It is just
the 35mm reels that give me trouble

I only do b&w with them. Use an old
Beseler color print roller base for agitiation. Works quite well.
(Don't own a Jobo processor.) Everything else goes on my SS Nikkors. I
even have some 220 reels (bought them from a photographer at a photo
equipment swap meet years ago) that are designed to go into "standard"
size Nikkor tanks. It's very convenient not needing the larger
diameter 220 tanks to do 220.

My 2500 series reels will take a roll of 220 or two rolls of 120. But I do
not shoot the stuff. If 35mm will not do the job, why mess around? Go all
the way to 4x5. (Or larger if you have someone to pay for the equipment
and someone to help carry it.)

^^-^^ 10:05:00 up 18 days, 18:20, 3 users, load average: 3.31, 3.20, 3.18