Alaska bears

Old August 3rd 09, 10:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Hates Tourista

Default Alaska bears

On Mon, 3 Aug 2009 13:52:30 -0700, C J Campbell

On 2009-08-03 12:54:08 -0700, Hates Tourista
said:

On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 13:37:26 -0400, wrote:

On Mon, 3 Aug 2009 10:03:23 -0700, C J Campbell
wrote:

We just returned from a trip to Alaska, visiting Brooks Falls and
Denali. Photos taken with Nikon D300 and D3x. I really enjoyed this
trip and got lucky a few times.

http://gallery.mac.com/christopherjc...ck&view=gri d

Nice photos. I hope you had a longer lens that it appears.
Those critters can take offence.

As long as you don't tell them what it's really like where you
photographed them.

Unfortunately, I tell people about the walkways, platforms, etc. I am
not imaginative enough to make up stories about dangerous encounters
with bears.

There were indeed people there taking pictures of bears with P&S. Even
camera phones. I doubt that makes them idiots. Too bad you hate
tourists. I hope you live in an ugly place where you don't have to deal
with them.

When at my home-base, as I am now, I live far in the country. So far that
it took them two years to decide on a cost-effective way to string a phone
line out here, at great cost. For the first year they left it hanging over
the branches of miles of trees until they could come back later and bury
sections of it. I specifically bought this place because it reminded me of
some of my most favorite remote camping sites. As long as I owned this land
then others could also no longer "develop" it. (develop = destroy) I don't
have deal with stupid tourists and the values that breed them. I also don't
have to "tame" any of the wildlife with guns in order to get photographs of
them.

Old August 3rd 09, 10:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Floyd L. Davidson

C J Campbell wrote:
Unfortunately, I tell people about the walkways, platforms, etc. I am
not imaginative enough to make up stories about dangerous encounters
with bears.

Here's a shot that isn't from your average zoo.

http://web.newsguy.com/floyd_davidso...d2x_1069.s.jpg

Note the angle of the nose and where he is looking,
which is a bear's way of inviting me for dinner.

This was the last shot I took before taking evasive
actions, because any closer than that and I just can't
react fast enough to get away if a bear decides to make
a rush for it.

When photographing polar bears this is not uncommon.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old August 3rd 09, 10:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Floyd L. Davidson

wrote:
[...]

The tourist season here is relatively too short. And
the bag limit is too small too...

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old August 3rd 09, 11:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell[_2_]

On 2009-08-03 14:30:21 -0700, Hates Tourista

On 2009-08-03 12:54:08 -0700, Hates Tourista

wrote:

[...]

Good. You can stay there. You wouldn't want to become one of those
awful tourists.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old August 3rd 09, 11:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell[_2_]

On 2009-08-03 14:33:35 -0700, (Floyd L. Davidson) said:

C J Campbell wrote:
Unfortunately, I tell people about the walkways, platforms, etc. I am
not imaginative enough to make up stories about dangerous encounters
with bears.

Here's a shot that isn't from your average zoo.

http://web.newsguy.com/floyd_davidso...d2x_1069.s.jpg

Note the angle of the nose and where he is looking,
which is a bear's way of inviting me for dinner.

This was the last shot I took before taking evasive
actions, because any closer than that and I just can't
react fast enough to get away if a bear decides to make
a rush for it.

When photographing polar bears this is not uncommon.

I'll keep that in mind when photographing polar bears.

While I was at Brooks Lodge there was a photographer camping there. He
was complaining about all the tourists (especially the Germans, whom he
considered to be particularly rude). So I said, yeah, no one belongs
here but us. And he laughed. His favorite spot is out at the lake,
where there aren't so many rangers. Nice sunsets out there, too.

Old August 3rd 09, 11:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell[_2_]

On 2009-08-03 13:37:03 -0700, HAL said:

On Mon, 3 Aug 2009 11:03:16 -0700, C J Campbell
wrote:

And you could get eaten by a bear, too. It has happened to
photographers in Denali in the past.

I hear they like the Nikon-flavored tourists more just because they're old,
stupid, and easy to catch.

Describes ME to a T....

However many are found to be quite pretentious
on the palate, so much so that they get spit out if they get a really bad
one. Still, they're easy pickings and the flavor is tolerable as a
mainstay.

Hey!

The Canon-flavored ones are also good, but too dry, crunchy, and
common for the more distinguishing Ursus-Gourmand. They haven't learned yet
that the Sony-flavored tourists are the best of all. Young and
full-flavored. Far too few in existence to get enough tastes to have
learned this yet. For a favorite snack they do like to pick off a
Lumix-flavored tourists whenever possible. They're so light and quick, hard
to catch, but the taste-sensation is so worth it. The Pentax-flavored
tourists aren't too bad. They're not found often but they're a good filling
and wholesome diet for the bear on a budget. They're still undecided over
the Sigma-flavored tourists. The first Sigma-flavored dinner fills their
expectations more than they could have hoped for, but then an hour later
they're hungry again.

The Apple, Motorola, Nokia, and Sanyo flavored tourists all taste about
the same -- like ground-up cardboard. There was a Leica-flavored
tourist running around out there, but the bears wouldn't touch him. Too
bitter.

Old August 4th 09, 02:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
The pixel Bandit

C J Campbell wrote:
We just returned from a trip to Alaska, visiting Brooks Falls and
Denali. Photos taken with Nikon D300 and D3x. I really enjoyed this trip
and got lucky a few times.

http://gallery.mac.com/christopherjc...ck&view=gri d

DO those bears worry about you being there and taking their
photos? Thanks for the look. I've never seen this sort of
stuff before.

--

I'm coming back as a Pelican...
Watch out because I'm staying the worlds biggest ass-hole!
Old August 4th 09, 04:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell[_2_]

On 2009-08-03 18:22:33 -0700, The pixel Bandit said:

C J Campbell wrote:
We just returned from a trip to Alaska, visiting Brooks Falls and
Denali. Photos taken with Nikon D300 and D3x. I really enjoyed this
trip and got lucky a few times.

http://gallery.mac.com/christopherjc...ck&view=gri d

DO those bears worry about you being there and taking their photos?
Thanks for the look. I've never seen this sort of stuff before.

Apparently not. Flash is not allowed at Brooks Falls because it is
thought to disturb the bears. Also, standing on bridges and walkways
that bears pass near or under is not allowed. Loud noises are also
prohibited.

On the Denali buses, of course, all a bear has to do if something is
bothering it is move away from the road.

Old August 4th 09, 12:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
N[_5_]

"C J Campbell" wrote in message

My D3x was damaged on this trip. My monopod bounced out of the overhead
rack on the school bus and hit the camera in my lap. Smashed the lens
release button, jamming it. I had to use a pocket knife to cut material
away to free it enough to get the autofocus to work. Hard to do when you
can't see anything because of the tears, you know. We will see what Nikon
has to say about the repair bill. gulp

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Surely, that would be covered by insurance.

Old August 4th 09, 04:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Does it take a long time to squeeze a photograph down that phone line?

--
Chris Malcolm