Alaska bears

Old August 4th 09, 08:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
rwalker

Default Alaska bears

On Mon, 3 Aug 2009 20:42:52 -0700, C J Campbell
wrote:

snip

On the Denali buses, of course, all a bear has to do if something is
bothering it is move away from the road.

Or open up the bus like a can of sardines?
Old August 4th 09, 08:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_4_]

On 2009-08-03 14:30:21 -0700, Hates Tourista
said:

On Mon, 3 Aug 2009 13:52:30 -0700, C J Campbell
wrote:
----------Le Snip-------------

Unfortunately, I tell people about the walkways, platforms, etc. I am
not imaginative enough to make up stories about dangerous encounters
with bears.

There were indeed people there taking pictures of bears with P&S. Even
camera phones. I doubt that makes them idiots. Too bad you hate
tourists. I hope you live in an ugly place where you don't have to deal
with them.

When at my home-base, as I am now, I live far in the country. So far that
it took them two years to decide on a cost-effective way to string a phone
line out here, at great cost. For the first year they left it hanging over
the branches of miles of trees until they could come back later and bury
sections of it. I specifically bought this place because it reminded me of
some of my most favorite remote camping sites. As long as I owned this land
then others could also no longer "develop" it. (develop = destroy) I don't
have deal with stupid tourists and the values that breed them. I also don't
have to "tame" any of the wildlife with guns in order to get photographs of
them.

So now we know what happened to the Unabomber's long lost cousin. :-)

Savageduck

Old August 5th 09, 12:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell[_2_]

On 2009-08-04 04:47:34 -0700, "N" said:

"C J Campbell" wrote in
message

My D3x was damaged on this trip. My monopod bounced out of the overhead
rack on the school bus and hit the camera in my lap. Smashed the lens
release button, jamming it. I had to use a pocket knife to cut material
away to free it enough to get the autofocus to work. Hard to do when
you can't see anything because of the tears, you know. We will see what
Nikon has to say about the repair bill. gulp

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Surely, that would be covered by insurance.

Surely. But to keep my rates down I have a $500 deductible. I suspect
that repairs will be somewhat more than that...

Old August 5th 09, 12:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell[_2_]

wrote:

snip

On the Denali buses, of course, all a bear has to do if something is
bothering it is move away from the road.

Or open up the bus like a can of sardines?

From the Far Side:

"I just LOVE these things! Crunchy on the outside, chewy on the inside."

Old August 5th 09, 12:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell[_2_]

On 2009-08-04 16:36:14 -0700, C J Campbell

On 2009-08-04 04:47:34 -0700, "N" said:

"C J Campbell" wrote in
message

My D3x was damaged on this trip. My monopod bounced out of the overhead
rack on the school bus and hit the camera in my lap. Smashed the lens
release button, jamming it. I had to use a pocket knife to cut material
away to free it enough to get the autofocus to work. Hard to do when
you can't see anything because of the tears, you know. We will see what
Nikon has to say about the repair bill. gulp

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Surely, that would be covered by insurance.

Surely. But to keep my rates down I have a $500 deductible. I suspect
that repairs will be somewhat more than that...

$590. Hardly seems worth submitting to the insurance company.

Old August 5th 09, 12:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
prestocorrecto

wrote:

snip

On the Denali buses, of course, all a bear has to do if something is
bothering it is move away from the road.

Or open up the bus like a can of sardines?

From the Far Side:

While chewing on an igloo (not bus) one polar bear says to another:

"I just LOVE these things! Crunchy on the outside with a soft and chewy center."

One of my favorites.

Another being two spiders building a web at the end of a children's
playground slide.

One saying, "If we pull this off, we'll eat like KINGS!"

Old August 5th 09, 03:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell[_2_]

On 2009-08-04 16:54:12 -0700, prestocorrecto

wrote:

snip

On the Denali buses, of course, all a bear has to do if something is
bothering it is move away from the road.

Or open up the bus like a can of sardines?

From the Far Side:

While chewing on an igloo (not bus) one polar bear says to another:

"I just LOVE these things! Crunchy on the outside with a soft and chewy
center."

One of my favorites.

Another being two spiders building a web at the end of a children's
playground slide.

One saying, "If we pull this off, we'll eat like KINGS!"

That one, and the fat kid with the straw and the nearly empty goldfish
bowl saying, "Still won't talk?"

Old August 16th 09, 06:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

On Tue, 4 Aug 2009 16:49:09 -0700, C J Campbell
wrote:
: On 2009-08-04 16:36:14 -0700, C J Campbell
: said:
:
: On 2009-08-04 04:47:34 -0700, "N" said:
:
: "C J Campbell" wrote in
: message
: news:200908031203478930-christophercampbellremovethis@hotmailcom...
:
: My D3x was damaged on this trip. My monopod bounced out of the overhead
: rack on the school bus and hit the camera in my lap. Smashed the lens
: release button, jamming it. I had to use a pocket knife to cut material
: away to free it enough to get the autofocus to work. Hard to do when
: you can't see anything because of the tears, you know. We will see what
: Nikon has to say about the repair bill. gulp
:
: --
: Waddling Eagle
: World Famous Flight Instructor
:
:
:
: Surely, that would be covered by insurance.
:
: Surely. But to keep my rates down I have a $500 deductible. I suspect
: that repairs will be somewhat more than that...
:
: $590. Hardly seems worth submitting to the insurance company.

$90 would pay for a couple of good-sized CF cards. Or one or two spare
batteries for the camera.

Bob