Calling all HC-110 users....

Old October 15th 04, 07:09 PM
Michael A. Covington

"jjs" wrote in message ...
"Michael A. Covington" wrote in message

The reason this is a relevant question is that some developers reportedly
need to "season" for a few hours before use.

Oy! How do you know when it is ready? Sniff the cork? Do you pour it from
a decanter?

Well, I said "reportedly"... If true, it is probably confined to specific
formulas.

(I can't see how this "seasoning" issue has escaped the manufacturers all
these years.)

Good point. Kodak does not say, "Let your D-76 stand for 8 hours before
using it..."

Old October 15th 04, 07:21 PM
Nick Zentena

Michael A. Covington wrote:

The reason this is a relevant question is that some developers reportedly
need to "season" for a few hours before use.

I suspect that if you use distilled water, and do it the same way each time
(either "seasoning" or not), then you'll have no problem. You'll adjust
your developing time to suit your needs, and then it will be reproducible.

I use tap water but the local water is pretty much the same every season.
I know some other places have more variation in the water.

Nick

Old October 15th 04, 07:24 PM
Nick Zentena

Michael A. Covington wrote:

(I can't see how this "seasoning" issue has escaped the manufacturers all
these years.)

Good point. Kodak does not say, "Let your D-76 stand for 8 hours before
using it..."

I think seasoning is mostly an issue with developers that are reused.
Kodak sells starter to add to fresh C-41 developer. Instant seasoned tank. I
forget the B&W developer [777?] but it's supposed to get better with age.

Nick

Old October 15th 04, 08:19 PM
Tom Phillips

Nick Zentena wrote:

Michael A. Covington wrote:

(I can't see how this "seasoning" issue has escaped the manufacturers all
these years.)

Good point. Kodak does not say, "Let your D-76 stand for 8 hours before
using it..."

I think seasoning is mostly an issue with developers that are reused.

That's called replenishment. And it's necessary to maintain
developer strength due to exhaustion and oxidation.

As usual Michael is stating a photographic fallacy (or nonsense,
whichever comes first.)

Developers oxidize quickly at working strength. I've never heard
of "seasoning" (which would allow for greater oxidation,) nor would
I repeat as advice something "reputed" but not chemically confirmed
by either literature or wide experience. D23 does not need to "season..."

Old October 15th 04, 10:12 PM
Michael A. Covington

"Tom Phillips" wrote in message
Nick Zentena wrote:
Michael A. Covington wrote:

I think seasoning is mostly an issue with developers that are reused.
Kodak sells starter to add to fresh C-41 developer. Instant seasoned
tank. I
forget the B&W developer [777?] but it's supposed to get better with
age.

That's called replenishment. And it's necessary to maintain
developer strength due to exhaustion and oxidation.

Actually, what Nick had in mind is indeed called seasoning. It's the
addition of silver iodide or some such compound, dissolved from the film
that is being developed. I've heard of a seasoning compound that is added
to developer to simulate the effect of partial use, so that it is stable and
ready for regular replenishment, rather than being a lot more active at the
start.

As usual Michael is stating a photographic fallacy (or nonsense,
whichever comes first.)

Are you saying that I usually state photographic fallacies or nonsense?

In any case, what I meant by "seasoning" was simply letting the developer
age after mixing. I've heard this recommended, but I reserve judgment as to
which developers, if any, actually require it or benefit from it. As
someone else pointed out, commercially manufactured developers do not (as
far as we know) say in their instructions that the developer must stand a
while before use.

Developers oxidize quickly at working strength. I've never heard
of "seasoning" (which would allow for greater oxidation,) nor would
I repeat as advice something "reputed" but not chemically confirmed
by either literature or wide experience. D23 does not need to "season..."

Eh? It's not OK to ask, in this forum, whether a reported phenomenon
actually occurs?

--
Clear skies,

Michael A. Covington