Digital camera with GPS capability

Old October 24th 07, 09:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc
Ron Hunter

Default Digital camera with GPS capability

ASAAR wrote:
On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 04:56:26 -0500, Ron Hunter wrote:

That's a matter of opinion. Having spent quite a few days working out
the grid references for upwards of 15,000 aerial photos, I could really
use a GPS system that worked well. Trouble is, none that I've seen can
accurately locate the subject area as opposed to the camera's position
which may be half a mile away.
http://www.pixaerial.com

Half a mile! You REALLY need a better GPS. Mine is usually accurate to
a few feet!
If I go on a trip, and return home, it won't go to 00 until I actually
put the car under the carport. Leaving it in the driveway (20 feet)
won't do.

whoosh!
If you're in your carport and take a picture of an object half a
mile away (with a GPS enabled camera), does the "00" refer to the
position of the camera or the position of the object? Now if you're
using a camera that records the direction that the camera was
pointing, and that can also record the subject's distance in the
EXIF data, I suppose that the subject/object location can be
determined with a trig. calculator. Not with a great deal of
accuracy, but to a better resolution than half a mile.

I suppose the problem would be significant should one have a long
telephoto lens, and being taking pictures from a mountaintop. I recall
taking some nice shots of the mountains on Hawaii from the top of
another mountain on Maui.... Quite a distance, but that adds another
dimension to the needed numbers, altitude. sigh.
Old October 24th 07, 09:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc
Ron Hunter

The Spider Formally Seated Next To Little Miss Muffet wrote:
"John Blessing" wrote in message
"The Spider Formally Seated Next To Little Miss Muffet"
wrote in message
You don't want GPS builtin. Why? Because it is going to be mediocre
at best. It isn't an overly useful function if it takes 3 or 4
minutes for it to find the salellites, It also isn't very useful if
it keeps loosing those satellites. You want something that is going
to work and work well you want to invest in a good GPS system one
that connects fast and can remain connected even under trees,
unvalleies, in cities with buildings all around, etc. Just make sure
that it can export the waypoint data and then you take that with one
of the many free or for cost programs that will take that data
compare the information to your photos and then embedd the data in to
the images.

e.g. http://code.google.com/p/gpicsync/

Of course, I doubt any add-on GPS/software can tell what you are
focussing on in relation to the camera position.

--
John Blessing

businesses
http://www.room-booking-software.com - Schedule rooms & equipment
bookings for your meeting/class over the web.
http://www.lbetoolbox.com - Remove Duplicates from MS Outlook,
find/replace, send newsletters

I knowing what the picture is matters when it comes to being able to
show where you took the picture on a map because?

The Spider

Well, because many of us would like to later return to the scene, and
can't recall WHERE it was, exactly. It also makes the story of your
once-in-a-lifetime trip more interesting if you can tell WHERE the
picture was taken so someone else can also go there.
Not many people are organized enough to write down that information for
every picture.
Old October 24th 07, 09:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc
Ron Hunter

The Spider Formally Seated Next To Little Miss Muffet wrote:
John Blessing observed

wrote in message ...
[...]

Yes! Quick - patent it!!

GPS position + direction of camera orientation + focussing distance,
all in EXIF. How did we manage without?

Mike

Michael J Davis

Some newsgroup contributors appear to have confused
the meaning of "discussion" with "digression".

More important what the **** do you do with the other data beyond the
latitude and longitude? Nothing is what.

The Spider

Many of us DO use the EXIF information. Just because YOU don't doesn't
make it useless for the rest of us.
Old October 24th 07, 09:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc
Mark Dunn

While we're getting picky, if he's talking about photographs of the ground
from the air, those would be AIR photographs. A photograph of something in
the air taken from something else in the air is an aerial photograph.
"Ron Hunter" wrote in message
Willy Eckerslyke wrote:

Just what digital cameras need - another useless feature.

Old October 24th 07, 10:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc
MB[_2_]

"Mark Dunn" wrote in message
While we're getting picky, if he's talking about photographs of the ground
from the air, those would be AIR photographs. A photograph of something in
the air taken from something else in the air is an aerial photograph.

So the RCAHMS have got it wrong?

http://jura.rcahms.gov.uk/APF/start.jsp

And Keel University

http://www.evidenceincamera.co.uk./

And Terraserver

http://www.terraserver.com/

MB

Old October 24th 07, 10:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc
MB[_2_]

Isn't there some software available where you leave your GPS recording your
track then download that when you get home, the software then links each
image to the position by getting the date / time from EXIF - I think it was
clever enough to allow for any error in the camera time setting.

MB

Old October 25th 07, 09:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc
Ron Hunter

MB wrote:
Isn't there some software available where you leave your GPS recording your
track then download that when you get home, the software then links each
image to the position by getting the date / time from EXIF - I think it was
clever enough to allow for any error in the camera time setting.

MB

Yes, there is such software, and it will allow some correlation between
the GPS and camera, after the fact, but it still won't help with camera
direction, or altitude.
I have never, personally, used my GPS tracking data, but it is there if
I want it.
Old October 30th 07, 05:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc
Dale DePriest

Ron Hunter wrote:
MB wrote:
Isn't there some software available where you leave your GPS recording
your track then download that when you get home, the software then
links each image to the position by getting the date / time from EXIF
- I think it was clever enough to allow for any error in the camera
time setting.

MB

Yes, there is such software, and it will allow some correlation between
the GPS and camera, after the fact, but it still won't help with camera
direction, or altitude.
I have never, personally, used my GPS tracking data, but it is there if
I want it.

Modern track logs do record altitude. You need a compass for direction
so that is one thing you need to write down.

Dale
--
_ _ Dale DePriest
/`) _ // http://users.cwnet.com/dalede
Old December 18th 07, 05:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital, uk.rec.photo.misc, rec.photo.equipment.misc
rakerman

On Oct 30, 11:32 am, Dale DePriest wrote:
Ron Hunter wrote:
MB wrote:
Isn't there some software available where you leave yourGPSrecording
your track then download that when you get home, the software then
links each image to the position by getting the date / time from EXIF
- I think it was clever enough to allow for any error in the camera
time setting.

MB

Yes, there is such software, and it will allow some correlation between
theGPSand camera, after the fact, but it still won't help with camera
direction, or altitude.
I have never, personally, used myGPStracking data, but it is there if
I want it.

Modern track logs do record altitude. You need a compass for direction
so that is one thing you need to write down.

Dale

There are a few options for geocoding photos: you can get a GPS logger
and use separate software to match time-stamps in order to determine
photo location, or you can get a bundle with the logger and software
together. The altitude data I have gotten is pretty good - I've even
used it on a plane and you can clearly see the takeoff and landing
when visualised in Google Earth. (NOTE: Do not use Bluetooth on a
plane without checking with the flight staff.) I've reviewed a number
of GPS loggers, with and without photo mapping software included.
Unfortunately very few loggers support the Mac. You can see a list of
my reviews at

http://scilib.typepad.com/techreviews/reviews-list.html

-- Richard Akerman