Confusing camera product names and series

Old May 6th 07, 02:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc
[email protected]

Default Confusing camera product names and series

I still have a hard time to figure out on how the major camera
companies place their product in the market. Are their product names
and series designed on purpose to confuse the consumers? Or are they
as confused as we are (in trying to sell products which cover our vast
budget range)? Reviewing a variety of products will become difficult
for the consumers.
Can anyone explain or may be can direct me to a website, which may
provide information behind the naming of the products and series? Do
lower numbers refer to older models, cheaper price, lower features or
all of the above? Examples as follows

Canon cameras:
Powershot series : What are the difference between A,G,S,Pro,SD and TX
series? I know that SD is the ultra compact, TX has camcorder vertical
style, A series using regular AA batteries? How does G7 compare to S3
IS and Pro series? Why SD1000 camera is cheaper than SD900?
Digital series : Are EOS ( 5D,30D, etc) series are superior that
Digital Rebel series (XT, Xti) ? Are EOS series designed for
professionals?

Nikon Cameras:
Powershot series : What are the difference between series L, P, and
S? Is the new Coolpix P5000 similar to Coolpix 5000 introduced much
earlier? Is Coolpix S9 has better features, and more expensive that
the Coopix S5? Is P5000 Nikon best offer to compete with high end
powershot camera (rival to Canon G7)?
Digital series: Is the D200 the new ultimate digital camera produced
by Nikon? How does it compare to the older D1 or D1H introduced in
the early 2000s?

Panasonic/Lumix cameras:
Powershot series : What are the difference between series FX, FZ, LX,
LC, LZ and TZ?
I found the Panasonic series are even worse than Canon in term of
trying to compare with. LZ series is the bulky one. What series is the
ultra compact one? Is it LC series?
Is the FZ50 currently the top of the line of the powershot series?
How is this compare to Lumix LX2, for example? Does Lumix produce
product similar to Canon G7?
Only one digital product, which is L1 - so, no comparison.

Thanks for info.

Old May 6th 07, 03:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc
Silicon Sam

On May 6, 8:49 am, wrote:

Digital series : Are EOS ( 5D,30D, etc) series are superior that
Digital Rebel series (XT, Xti) ? Are EOS series designed for
professionals?

Thanks for info.

On the Canon Digital, the shorter the number, the more Pro the
camera...

1D, 5D Professional

10D, 20D, 30D Pro-Consumer

300D, 350D, 400D Consumer

The 300D, 350D, and 400D is the "other" name for the Digital Rebel,
Rebel XT, and Rebel XTi

Sam

Old May 6th 07, 04:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc
Not Disclosed

Silicon Sam wrote:
On May 6, 8:49 am, wrote:

Digital series : Are EOS ( 5D,30D, etc) series are superior that
Digital Rebel series (XT, Xti) ? Are EOS series designed for
professionals?

Thanks for info.

On the Canon Digital, the shorter the number, the more Pro the
camera...

1D, 5D Professional

THe 5D . . . IS NOT A PRO CAMERA, Canon on considers the 1D series as
pro. Only the 1D series will get Canon Pro Service, in other words if it
breaks a 5D goes into the que and doesn't get any priority in servicing,
which in Canada runs 4-6 weeks...
Old May 6th 07, 04:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc
Matt Ion

Silicon Sam wrote:
On May 6, 8:49 am, wrote:

Digital series : Are EOS ( 5D,30D, etc) series are superior that
Digital Rebel series (XT, Xti) ? Are EOS series designed for
professionals?

Thanks for info.

On the Canon Digital, the shorter the number, the more Pro the
camera...

1D, 5D Professional

10D, 20D, 30D Pro-Consumer

300D, 350D, 400D Consumer

The 300D, 350D, and 400D is the "other" name for the Digital Rebel,
Rebel XT, and Rebel XTi

Also, ALL of the above are EOS series. "EOS", IIRC, actually refers to
the lensmount design used in all of their autofocus SLRs, film or digital.

Old May 6th 07, 06:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc
Randy Stewart

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

You are not going to find any theme for model naming which would be
seriously useful for comparison shopping between models, as opposed to just
looking at the feature set of each model. Whatever patterns exist are going
to be subject to so many exceptions that your inquiry is probably useless.

Having recently shopped two 7 meg point-and-shoot digitals with and for two
pre-teens, I have experienced your confusion. I ened up sitting at a
computer with each "end-user", fixing a price range, then briefly comparing
the most important features of each model within the offerings of two
makers. For what its worth, the type of battery options usable [AA],
physical size, time from power-up to first exposure, and shutter lag
reported by users proven to be the most important issues. I was surprised
at the sophisiticated shopper's decision-making of a 10 and 13 year old; I
was not so surpised that the cameras are used more as novel toys, exotic
possessions, than as photographic appliances.

Old May 6th 07, 09:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc
John McWilliams

Randy Stewart wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
I still have a hard time to figure out on how the major camera
companies place their product in the market.

Canon cameras:
Powershot series : What are the difference between A,G,S,Pro,SD and TX
series? I know that SD is the ultra compact, TX has camcorder vertical
style, A series using regular AA batteries? How does G7 compare to S3
IS and Pro series? Why SD1000 camera is cheaper than SD900?
Digital series : Are EOS ( 5D,30D, etc) series are superior that
Digital Rebel series (XT, Xti) ? Are EOS series designed for
professionals?

You are not going to find any theme for model naming which would be
seriously useful for comparison shopping between models, as opposed to just
looking at the feature set of each model. Whatever patterns exist are going
to be subject to so many exceptions that your inquiry is probably useless.

Did you even read the other replies? Although I'd agree that down and
dirty comparison of features and price points is more important.

--
john mcwilliams
Old May 6th 07, 10:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc
Charles[_2_]

wrote in message
oups.com...
I still have a hard time to figure out on how the major camera
companies place their product in the market.

As do we all. I have been teaching digital photography in my community and
find it difficult to help others select a camera.

This might be an excellent opportunity for someone. A web-based parametric
search engine. One would enter price and key items from their desired
feature set, and then be presented with models that comply with the search
parameters. Such a site would be a major PITA to constantly debug and
upgrade but with paying links to vendors, it could be profitable. No, I am
not about to tackle it myself but would be interested in helping anyone who
would.

Old May 6th 07, 11:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc
Robert Coe

:
: Canon cameras:
: Powershot series : What are the difference between A,G,S,Pro,SD and TX
: series? I know that SD is the ultra compact, TX has camcorder vertical
: style, A series using regular AA batteries? How does G7 compare to S3
: IS and Pro series? Why SD1000 camera is cheaper than SD900?
: Digital series : Are EOS ( 5D,30D, etc) series are superior that
: Digital Rebel series (XT, Xti) ? Are EOS series designed for
: professionals?
:
: Nikon Cameras:
: Powershot series : What are the difference between series L, P, and
: S? Is the new Coolpix P5000 similar to Coolpix 5000 introduced much
: earlier? Is Coolpix S9 has better features, and more expensive that
: the Coopix S5? Is P5000 Nikon best offer to compete with high end
: powershot camera (rival to Canon G7)?

Nikon has a "Powershot" series? Won't that get them sued for copyright
infringement? I'm pretty sure Canon was there first.

Bob
Old May 7th 07, 12:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc
[email protected]

On May 6, 11:49 pm, wrote:
[...]

Dont forget Fujifilm, and its weird reason? to call S700 a S5700 in
different regions

WHY?

Kinga 2o2