Best option for large film processing order?

Old March 29th 07, 05:51 PM posted to rec.photo.film+labs
Pete

Default Best option for large film processing order?

Not so long ago I had an SLR and was shooting film faster than I could
keep up with having it processed, then said SLR was stolen, and I went
digital for reasons of logistics and economics. I still have,
however, a sizable amount of film I need processed/printed (literally
dozens of rolls).

What would be the best option for handling these? I'd like to have
them processed by someone who's going to do a halfway decent job, but
considering the volume I'd like to keep the cost reasonable.

The film is all run-of-the-mill 35mm, no unusual processes. I'd
pretty much like two sets of matte prints from each. I don't need
digital scans (unless they're really cheap or free) because the
quality I get from lab scans is never all that good anyway.

Are Snapfish or York reliable enough to send it out to? Their prices
are very good.

Or, alternatively, is it possible to go straight to Qualex or someone
with a very large order and get a better price?

Any other reasonable choices? I'm in the Boston area, if that matters.

Old March 29th 07, 10:35 PM posted to rec.photo.film+labs
jeremy

"Pete" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

BJ's Wholesale Club uses Qualex. 24-exp and 5 x 7 prints are $3.99. Costco
used to use Qualex but I seem to recall that they recently dropped film
processing. Not sure of this.

Old March 30th 07, 03:49 AM posted to rec.photo.film+labs
Michael Weinstein[_4_]

Old March 30th 07, 02:33 PM posted to rec.photo.film+labs
Thomas T. Veldhouse

jeremy wrote:

BJ's Wholesale Club uses Qualex. 24-exp and 5 x 7 prints are $3.99. Costco
used to use Qualex but I seem to recall that they recently dropped film
processing. Not sure of this.

Costco did indeed drop Qualex and all offsite film processing [at least in the
Twin Cities area]. The only economical option that I can recommend is using
Fuji mailers, which is about $4.25 per roll plus two stamps. It is possible
to put all the film in a single box along with the proper amount of mailers
and to ship to the address on the mailers ... this could save considerable
postage.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Old March 30th 07, 02:34 PM posted to rec.photo.film+labs
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
jeremy wrote:

BJ's Wholesale Club uses Qualex. 24-exp and 5 x 7 prints are $3.99. Costco
used to use Qualex but I seem to recall that they recently dropped film
processing. Not sure of this.

Costco did indeed drop Qualex and all offsite film processing [at least in the
Twin Cities area]. The only economical option that I can recommend is using
Fuji mailers, which is about $4.25 per roll plus two stamps. It is possible
to put all the film in a single box along with the proper amount of mailers
and to ship to the address on the mailers ... this could save considerable
postage.

Oh ... of course the recommendation I just gave is for E6 processing of slide
film and doesn't include making prints.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse