Nikon D50 overexposes

Old July 18th 06, 01:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
3putt

Default Nikon D50 overexposes

I've read many suggestions and comments on how to compensate for
overexposure with the D50. But I'm not convinced that I am getting the
sharpness that I expected. I wore out the Canon Digital Rebel, but was
pleased with the sharpness it produced outdoors. The D50 just does not
measure up, and now I'm stuck with it. I've experimented with many exposure
settings under different lighting conditions. Presently I've settled on an
EV -.7 setting, with ISO 200, center focus for outdoor bird/animal shots,
usually in sunlight. I've almost got the overexposure beat, but the focus
is not that great. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am shooting
with the Sigma AF 70-300mm lens. With my Canon Rebel I also used a Sigma AF
70-300 and was very pleased with it.

Old July 18th 06, 01:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Greg \_\

In article ,
"3putt" wrote:

I've read many suggestions and comments on how to compensate for
overexposure with the D50. But I'm not convinced that I am getting the
sharpness that I expected. I wore out the Canon Digital Rebel, but was
pleased with the sharpness it produced outdoors. The D50 just does not
measure up, and now I'm stuck with it. I've experimented with many exposure
settings under different lighting conditions. Presently I've settled on an
EV -.7 setting, with ISO 200, center focus for outdoor bird/animal shots,
usually in sunlight. I've almost got the overexposure beat, but the focus
is not that great. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am shooting
with the Sigma AF 70-300mm lens. With my Canon Rebel I also used a Sigma AF
70-300 and was very pleased with it.

Set the camera up to presharpen the image if it bugs you.
--
Reality-Is finding that perfect picture
and never looking back.

www.gregblankphoto.com
Old July 18th 06, 04:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Little Green Eyed Dragon

In article ,
Bill wrote:

Have you checked the sharpness settings on the camera?

have you checked any other previous responses suggesting similar things?

--
Would thou choose to meet a rat eating dragon, or
a dragon, eating rat? The answer of: I am somewhere
Old July 18th 06, 04:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Sheldon

"3putt" wrote in message
I've read many suggestions and comments on how to compensate for
overexposure with the D50. But I'm not convinced that I am getting the
sharpness that I expected. I wore out the Canon Digital Rebel, but was
pleased with the sharpness it produced outdoors. The D50 just does not
measure up, and now I'm stuck with it. I've experimented with many
exposure settings under different lighting conditions. Presently I've
settled on an EV -.7 setting, with ISO 200, center focus for outdoor
bird/animal shots, usually in sunlight. I've almost got the overexposure
beat, but the focus is not that great. Any suggestions would be
appreciated. I am shooting with the Sigma AF 70-300mm lens. With my
Canon Rebel I also used a Sigma AF 70-300 and was very pleased with it.

Check the settings in the camera and try your lens on another camera. Your
results tend to make me think there is something wrong, as the D50 has been
getting great reviews. It's possible the problem may be with the lens. Go
into a store and see if they will let you put a Nikon lens on the camera and
see if you have the same problems.

Since exposure can be very subjective, depending on the kind of photos you
are taking, IMHO -.7 would not be that far off to get the kind of images
"you" want. Many people have bumped the exposure on the D70, as that camera
tend to underexpose a bit to keep highlights from blowing out.

Also, I don't know about the D50, but the D70(s) allows you to download
curves into the camera which will effect every photo you take. This is a
good way to tweak all the images the camera takes more to your liking.

Old July 18th 06, 04:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Little Green Eyed Dragon

In article ,
"Sheldon" wrote:

Check the settings in the camera and try your lens on another camera. Your
results tend to make .

Yawn This really is starting to sound familiar.

Old July 18th 06, 11:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
3putt

"Bill" wrote in message
.. .
3putt wrote:

I've read many suggestions and comments on how to compensate for
overexposure with the D50.

Does the D50 have an exposure issue? From what I've seen, it exposes
right on the button.

OK, I Googled "Nikon D50 Overexpose" before I started this thread. There
are many, many references to overexposure with this camera. And as many
suggestions as to how to compensate for the overexposure. And there was no
mention, that I found, of any problems with the lens. Whatever terminology
we use here, outdoor shots are blown out, and not in "sharp" focus. I had
taken over 10,000 shots with the Digital Rebel with no complaints with
exposure and sharpness. I would have expected the same or similar results
with the NIkon. So.....I will be visiting the camera shop today for some
further advice. The owner is a professional photog, and not just a
salesperson. Hopefully, I can get it right.

Old July 18th 06, 12:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
3putt

You buy Sigma lenses to put on a Nikon body?

Sorry dude, your problems start and end with the glass in front of the
camera.

--
http://www.nikongear.com/

I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I also drive a Ford, wishing it were a Toyota. I,
as well as many in this group, am looking for suggestions, not criticism.

Old July 18th 06, 12:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ole Larsen

3putt skrev:
I've read many suggestions and comments on how to compensate for
overexposure with the D50. But I'm not convinced that I am getting the
sharpness that I expected. I wore out the Canon Digital Rebel, but was
pleased with the sharpness it produced outdoors. The D50 just does not
measure up, and now I'm stuck with it. I've experimented with many exposure
settings under different lighting conditions. Presently I've settled on an
EV -.7 setting, with ISO 200, center focus for outdoor bird/animal shots,
usually in sunlight. I've almost got the overexposure beat, but the focus
is not that great. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am shooting
with the Sigma AF 70-300mm lens. With my Canon Rebel I also used a Sigma AF
70-300 and was very pleased with it.

A D50 that isn´t defective does _not_ overexpose or make unsharp pictures.

Maybe the problem is in front or behind the camera-house

--
Med venlig hilsen, Ole Larsen.
New Images And Design, june 2006
Old July 18th 06, 03:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Thomas T. Veldhouse

3putt wrote:
I've read many suggestions and comments on how to compensate for
overexposure with the D50. But I'm not convinced that I am getting the
sharpness that I expected. I wore out the Canon Digital Rebel, but was
pleased with the sharpness it produced outdoors. The D50 just does not
measure up, and now I'm stuck with it. I've experimented with many exposure
settings under different lighting conditions. Presently I've settled on an
EV -.7 setting, with ISO 200, center focus for outdoor bird/animal shots,
usually in sunlight. I've almost got the overexposure beat, but the focus
is not that great. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am shooting
with the Sigma AF 70-300mm lens. With my Canon Rebel I also used a Sigma AF
70-300 and was very pleased with it.

I would expect that metering to be off either on the camera or the
communication through the lens. Try a different lens and see how you do. I
am not a fan of sigma as the one I used wasn't consistant at all across focal
length or apeture (75-300). I have become quite a Tokina fan however. So
far, I own all Nikon lenses and one Tokina (80-200).

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Old July 18th 06, 03:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Thomas T. Veldhouse

3putt wrote:

OK, I Googled "Nikon D50 Overexpose" before I started this thread. There
are many, many references to overexposure with this camera. And as many
suggestions as to how to compensate for the overexposure. And there was no
mention, that I found, of any problems with the lens. Whatever terminology
we use here, outdoor shots are blown out, and not in "sharp" focus. I had
taken over 10,000 shots with the Digital Rebel with no complaints with
exposure and sharpness. I would have expected the same or similar results
with the NIkon. So.....I will be visiting the camera shop today for some
further advice. The owner is a professional photog, and not just a
salesperson. Hopefully, I can get it right.

The lack of sharpness and the over exposure indicates to me that you probably
have an issue with the lens and not the camera.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse