Good Photos / Super-Zoom Advice??

Old November 17th 04, 11:13 AM
Lukas Varossieau

Default Good Photos / Super-Zoom Advice??

Should I look for an SLR or a "super-zoom"?? I don't think that I'll need to
swap lenses (don't have any to swap at the moment!!) and probably won't take
photography to that level within the near future.

By "super zoom" you probably mean ZLR. You don't need an SLR if you
are not sure which to get. Get the Olympus Camedia C-8080. It is the
best reviewed of the current ZLR type cameras. You will not need to
waste a fortune on extra lenses like you would with an SLR. The camera
is built solid like a truck but reasonably light compared to a DSLR.
Good luck with your purchase.
Old November 17th 04, 05:59 PM
Swingman

b) I regularly read www.steves-digicams.com website. Over the years, =
I've
noticed a few cameras (not SLRs) which claim to have over 10X zoom =

lenses.
These sound great until I read the technical specifications. The =

exposure times
are often poor and they don't seem to offer the picture quality found =

using
SLRs. Are they really inferior? If so, is it possible to get an SLR =

with such a
great zoom. I don't really know where to look for SLR lenses but my =

research
indicates that such a lens would cost almost as much as the camera. Is =

this
correct?

The Panasonic FZ20 offers a 12X image stabilized optical zoom that's =
fast i.e. f2.8 across the full zoom range. The image stabilizer feature =
helps with the slower shutter speeds of low light shots. The camera =
also has an autofocus assist lamp and a hot shoe for external flash. =
Read about it and check out user opinions at www.dpreview.com