Anyone remembers those old soft and hard camera cases?

Old June 1st 09, 01:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc
C J Campbell[_2_]

Default Anyone remembers those old soft and hard camera cases?

On 2009-05-29 14:12:22 -0700, said:

In the old film cameras era, I recall that when you purchase an SLR
camera, it usually comes with a soft or a hard (leather) case. The
case is attached to the camera via a screw to the tripod mount at the
bottom of the camera. I wonder why they do not have any more of this
type of camera case? Since it is attached like a "skin" to the
camera, I usually did not need to buy a camera soft pouch case. The
case will protect the camera outer shell from dust, and perhaps little
bumps; although it will not likely help to reduce impact if the camera
falls. On a second thought, I also wonder if the new padded camera
cases that you can get at the camera stores nowadays can protect the
camera if it falls either. Anyone has some thought about this?
Thanks for the info/discussion.

They were unpopular, mainly because they took too much time to unfasten
and get the camera ready. The only thing they did was protect the
camera from minor scratches. People complain because it takes two or
three seconds for their digital cameras to power up. They would have a
fit if it took ten times that long to unfasten a case, too. Many a pro
does not even know where his lens caps are.

But if you want one, most manufacturers still make them for their
consumer cameras. You just have to order it. If you have a pro type
camera, forget getting one from the manufacturer. You will have to go
to some third party supplier.

Much more popular are belt pouches and holster systems, which offer
better protection and faster accessibility.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old June 1st 09, 03:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc
Their Inexperienced Ignorance Never Ends...

On Sun, 31 May 2009 17:39:47 -0700, C J Campbell

On 2009-05-29 14:12:22 -0700, said:

[...]

Yet they pride themselves on a camera design that takes many moments of
lost photos to change to a new focal-length lens to capture the subject
properly. Ooops! It flew away! Ooops! The shot victim is already collapsed
and already loaded in the closed & fleeing ambulance! Ooops! That crashing
plane already landed out of sight behind the buildings! Ooops! The moment
is lost forever! Ooops! ... insert scenario of your choice that has
caused multitudes of lost photos due to DSLR lens-change design. Enjoy
your fast burst modes while you miss those thousands of award-winning
photos because you were ineptly busy changing lenses on your pride & joy,
highly-antiquated, DSLR.

LOL!

Old June 1st 09, 10:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc
Michael J Davis[_2_]

C J Campbell was inspired to
say
On 2009-05-29 14:12:22 -0700, said:

[...]

The real problem was that the flap that went over the top would bob up
in front of the camera lens!!

However, I'm not too proud to admit that I used my Leica M3 for years in
one - but the Leica case had the advantage that the cover could be
completely removed, and the camera was protected in the little cradle
that held the body. Then I got a Benser bag (the first equipment case -
AFAIK - that opened away from the body to give rapid access to the
contents); nice, but heavy!

But if you want one, most manufacturers still make them for their
consumer cameras. You just have to order it. If you have a pro type
camera, forget getting one from the manufacturer. You will have to go
to some third party supplier.

Much more popular are belt pouches and holster systems, which offer
better protection and faster accessibility.

But too easy to sit on, with the consequences of damage to vital parts!

Mike
--
Michael J Davis

Now with added pictures on
http://www.flickr.com/photos/watchman

The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.
Dorethea Lange

Old June 2nd 09, 08:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc
C J Campbell[_2_]

On 2009-06-01 02:43:11 -0700, Michael J Davis said:

C J Campbell was inspired to say

But if you want one, most manufacturers still make them for their
consumer cameras. You just have to order it. If you have a pro type
camera, forget getting one from the manufacturer. You will have to go
to some third party supplier.

Much more popular are belt pouches and holster systems, which offer
better protection and faster accessibility.

But too easy to sit on, with the consequences of damage to vital parts!

Mike

Snork

Which is why I use a Blackrapid R strap if carrying just one body. This
strap can also be screwed into the tripod mount of a long lens, making
it much more comfortable to carry.

http://www.blackrapid.com/

If carrying two, I use a CameraSlingers Duel Deluxe strap, though I may
get the Blackrapid RS DR-1 double strap when it comes out. The
Blackrapid straps are much higher quality.

http://www.cameraslingers.net/

I have run into two problems with these straps:

1) The strap mount must be entirely removed if the camera is to be used
on a monopod or tripod.

2) When removing the CameraSlingers strap from your shoulders, it is
very easy to slam a camera with a long lens into the ground. Best to
unclip the cameras from the strap first. I can see this being a problem
with the Blackrapid double strap, too.

There is a third problem with dual straps -- they look like a manzierre
or some fool thing. And it looks like you are wearing it backwards, on
the outside of your clothes. As if we do not have problems with people
thinking we are all pervs anyway.

And the straps do scratch furniture.

Old June 4th 09, 01:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc
whisky-dave

C J Campbell was inspired to
say
On 2009-05-29 14:12:22 -0700, said:

[...]

I though it was cost, but I did have a cheap one and found it useful.
I used to carry a few camera around and it certainly stopped them damaging
each other from rubbing and knocking against each other.

The only thing they did was protect the
camera from minor scratches. People complain because it takes two or three
seconds for their digital cameras to power up. They would have a fit if it
took ten times that long to unfasten a case, too. Many a pro does not even
know where his lens caps are.

The real problem was that the flap that went over the top would bob up in
front of the camera lens!!

Mine would I do that if I tried to take a shot with that part of teh case
still atached.
Mine had a key&hook and I uswed to remove that secion of the case
just before removing the lens cap.
But that was on my old Praktica L which didn't even have a battery.
I wound the film on by hand too ;-0

However, I'm not too proud to admit that I used my Leica M3 for years in
one - but the Leica case had the advantage that the cover could be
completely removed, and the camera was protected in the little cradle that
held the body.

Sounds very much like my cheap case.

But if you want one, most manufacturers still make them for their consumer
cameras. You just have to order it. If you have a pro type camera, forget
getting one from the manufacturer. You will have to go to some third party
supplier.

Much more popular are belt pouches and holster systems, which offer better
protection and faster accessibility.

But too easy to sit on, with the consequences of damage to vital parts!

isn't that part of the fun ;-)