Digital camera with GPS capability

Old January 23rd 08, 01:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital, uk.rec.photo.misc, rec.photo.equipment.misc
[email protected]

Default Digital camera with GPS capability

Google Earth can tie pictures with the geographic location of the
shots. It would be nice if the camera itself records the GPS
coordinates, the pointing directions, the angle of the shots into the
digital picture. Is there any such product in the market?

On Dec 18 2007, 8:07*am, rakerman wrote:
On Oct 30, 11:32 am, Dale DePriest wrote:

Ron Hunter wrote:
MB wrote:
Isn't there some software available where you leave yourGPSrecording
your track then download that when you get home, the software then
links each image to the position by getting the date / time from EXIF
- I think it was clever enough to allow for any error in thecamera
time setting.

MB

Yes, there is such software, and it will allow some correlation between
theGPSandcamera, after the fact, but it still won't help withcamera
direction, or altitude.
I have never, personally, used myGPStracking data, but it is there if
I want it.

Modern track logs do record altitude. You need a compass for direction
so that is one thing you need to write down.

Dale

There are a few options for geocoding photos: you can get aGPSlogger
and use separate software to match time-stamps in order to determine
photo location, or you can get a bundle with the logger and software
together. *The altitude data I have gotten is pretty good - I've even
used it on a plane and you can clearly see the takeoff and landing
when visualised in Google Earth. *(NOTE: Do not use Bluetooth on a
plane without checking with the flight staff.) *I've reviewed a number
ofGPSloggers, with and without photo mapping software included.
Unfortunately very few loggers support the Mac. *You can see a list of
my reviews at

http://scilib.typepad.com/techreviews/reviews-list.html

-- Richard Akerman- Hide quoted text -

Old January 23rd 08, 11:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc
John Blessing

Gps only knows your heading (and only whilst moving), not your bearing. So
what you want would require a built-in compass and inclinometer and
presumably some sort of rangefinder (or tied to the autofocus). I suspect
the cost of such a device would be prohibitive.

--
John Blessing

businesses
for your meeting/class over the web.
http://www.lbetoolbox.com - Remove Duplicates from MS Outlook, find/replace,
send newsletters

Old January 23rd 08, 03:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital, uk.rec.photo.misc, rec.photo.equipment.misc
Pat

Google Earth can tie pictures with the geographic location of the
shots. It would be nice if the camera itself records the GPS
coordinates, the pointing directions, the angle of the shots into the
digital picture. Is there any such product in the market?

Yes, there are a few cameras on the market that record your GPS
coordinates as well as direction and angle. They are used in real
estate -- especially appraisals. You used to be able to buy a card
that went into your CF slot which would record the image and the data,
but I'm not sure that's still around. They are also used by GIS
offices.

If one were to find a good programmer, one could probably make it so
that your camera phone recorded the GPS data, too.

Old January 23rd 08, 08:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc
Mike Coon

John Blessing wrote:
Gps only knows your heading (and only whilst moving), not your
bearing. So what you want would require a built-in compass and
inclinometer and presumably some sort of rangefinder (or tied to the
autofocus). I suspect the cost of such a device would be prohibitive.

My digital compass cost only around ten pounds (and has other functions
too). I believe some devices detect which way up they are being held to
switch between portrait and landscape display. So those aspects are probably
not expensive. But it all adds to power requirement too...

Mike.
--
If reply address = connectfee, add an r because it is free not fee.

Old January 25th 08, 07:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc
Ray Paseur[_3_]

"Mike Coon" wrote in
:

John Blessing wrote:
Gps only knows your heading (and only whilst moving), not your
bearing. So what you want would require a built-in compass and
inclinometer and presumably some sort of rangefinder (or tied to the
autofocus). I suspect the cost of such a device would be prohibitive.

My digital compass cost only around ten pounds (and has other
functions too). I believe some devices detect which way up they are
being held to switch between portrait and landscape display. So those
aspects are probably not expensive. But it all adds to power
requirement too...

Mike.

One of my colleagues suggests taking a photo of your GPS, then taking the
photo of your subject. Low-tech but an elegant solution!
Old January 25th 08, 08:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc
L.D.[_2_]

Some way I've missed the first part of this thread, so this might not be
the proper
John Blessing wrote:
Gps only knows your heading (and only whilst moving), not your
bearing.

If you have a waypoint that you are or want to navigate to, the gps
knows your bearing and it knows it moving or not. You watch it, you get
off course, the bearing will change. You are correct that it knows
heading only while moving.

Ray Paseur wrote:
"Mike Coon" wrote in
:

Old January 25th 08, 08:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

In rec.photo.digital Ray Paseur wrote:
:
John Blessing wrote:

Gps only knows your heading (and only whilst moving), not your
bearing. So what you want would require a built-in compass and
inclinometer and presumably some sort of rangefinder (or tied to the
autofocus). I suspect the cost of such a device would be prohibitive.

My digital compass cost only around ten pounds (and has other
functions too). I believe some devices detect which way up they are
being held to switch between portrait and landscape display. So those
aspects are probably not expensive. But it all adds to power
requirement too...

Mike.

One of my colleagues suggests taking a photo of your GPS, then taking the
photo of your subject. Low-tech but an elegant solution!

And if you want the direction in which the camera is pointing as well
as the location then include a compass in the photograph of the GPS.

--
Chris Malcolm DoD #205
[

Old January 26th 08, 03:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc
Mike of Wrexham

wrote in message

Google Earth can tie pictures with the geographic location of the
shots. It would be nice if the camera itself records the GPS
coordinates, the pointing directions, the angle of the shots into the
digital picture. Is there any such product in the market?

GPS devices don't know where they are pointing, only in the direction they
are actually moving.
Mike.

Old January 27th 08, 09:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc
Ron Hunter

Mike of Wrexham wrote:
wrote in message

Google Earth can tie pictures with the geographic location of the
shots. It would be nice if the camera itself records the GPS
coordinates, the pointing directions, the angle of the shots into the
digital picture. Is there any such product in the market?

GPS devices don't know where they are pointing, only in the direction they
are actually moving.
Mike.

Some GPS receivers also include a digital compass. I am not aware of
any that have orientation sensors.