DIY Light Stand Tut Posted

Old June 24th 07, 07:29 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.misc
baument[_2_]

Default DIY Light Stand Tut Posted

http://www.diyphotogear.com

Our first DIY Photo Gear project has been posted at the above address.
It's a DIY C-Stand (heavy light stand).
This stand is super heavy duty, unlike the pvc stands seen elsewhere.
It's constructed with parts found at virtually
any home center or plumbing supply house with only basic tools and
experience needed. Total dollars spent at our local
home center in the midwest was only $30.00 !!!

Check it out when you have a minute and we've many more projects to
post in the coming weeks so check back often!

Old July 5th 07, 03:56 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.misc
Mark

On Jun 24, 1:29 pm, baument wrote:
http://www.diyphotogear.com

Our first DIY Photo Gear project has been posted at the above address.
It's a DIY C-Stand (heavy light stand).
This stand is super heavy duty, unlike the pvc stands seen elsewhere.
It's constructed with parts found at virtually
any home center or plumbing supply house with only basic tools and
experience needed. Total dollars spent at our local
home center in the midwest was only $30.00 !!!

Check it out when you have a minute and we've many more projects to
post in the coming weeks so check back often!

Well I did much the same thing, but instead of the pipe for the base,
I used piece of 3/4 inch ply for the base. I used a flange to give
the pipe something to screw into. My lights had clamps on them so I
just clamped them. I am not sure though that I fully understand how
you got the adjustment sections to work.

Old July 6th 07, 01:06 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.misc
dj_nme

Mark wrote:
[...]

These pictures shows Ed Baumgarten (the author) drilling and tapping the
hole to put the height adjustment lock knob into, which is made from the
bell coupling:
http://www.diyphotogear.com/images/cstand7.jpg
http://www.diyphotogear.com/images/cstand9.jpg
The images are on page 3:
http://www.diyphotogear.com/cstand1-3.html
It looks pretty clear in this image on page 4
http://www.diyphotogear.com/images/cstand16.jpg that the smaller,
upper tube slides up and down through the bell adapter and the eyebolt
is standing in for a store-bought locking knob.
It's from here :http://www.diyphotogear.com/cstand1-4.html
I presume that the same thing has been done for the top-most section of
pipe for it to slide up and down in the upper bell adapter, and is in
turn locked by it's own knob or set-screw.
I guess that if you wanted to, you could make the column out of more
adjustable sections, as long as you could find bell adapters that a
smaller sized piped could slide through; it might take a bit of trial
and error to find the correct parts.