Rediscovering colour photography by direct trichromy

Old January 21st 07, 09:31 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format,rec.photo.darkroom,rec.photo.film+labs,rec.photo.misc
Tom Phillips

Default Rediscovering colour photography by direct trichromy

Well, your post said "looks like the technique that russian
guy developed..."

Course I was already very familiar with Gorskii and had
high appreciation of his work! But in fact James Clerk
Maxwell developed tricolor photography based on Thomas
Young's [very] early theories. Cheers...

Pudentame wrote:

Tom Phillips wrote:

Pudentame wrote:
john wrote:
Pudentame wrote:
Christophe wrote:
Pudentame a écrit :

This looks like the technique that Russian guy developed for taking 3
images sequentially using R,G,B (or was it CMY) filters.

In any case I was required in college to produce a
tricolor separation image using three b&w separation
exposures. The color is unmatched IMO.

However, tricolor photography was first developed by
James Clerk Maxwell in 1861, not Tauleigne or Gorskii,
based on a early 1800s theory by Thomas Young (who
also produce the first ever nonextant photograph in
1802)as well as Herman Helmholtz, that all colors could
be reproduced using additive primary RGB or complimentary
subtractive colors (Yellow, Magenta, Cyan.)

In 1861, Maxwell produced the first ever color separation
color image using three projected lantern slides called
Tartan Ribbon (a color separation image of a ribbon.)

Perhaps I wasn't clear. I make no claim the Russian guy invented color
photography, only that the images referred to in the original post
reminded me of the images he produced.