Orbs

Old February 4th 06, 06:03 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.film+labs

Default Orbs

Can someone provide a detailed description of what causes orbs to
appear on photographs, please? I've looked on the web and all
I find is either idiots talking about photographing fairies, aliens, ghosts
or whatever. Other than that I find single line answers, like "out of
focus specks of dust"

I'd like something a bit more detail;ed and helpful than that. Eg,
information about lighting conditions, type of camera and so on that
would produce the effect.

TIA

Old February 4th 06, 06:58 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.film+labs

Joe Drake wrote:

Can someone provide a detailed description of what causes orbs to
appear on photographs, please? I've looked on the web and all
I find is either idiots talking about photographing fairies, aliens, ghosts
or whatever. Other than that I find single line answers, like "out of
focus specks of dust"

I'd like something a bit more detail;ed and helpful than that. Eg,
information about lighting conditions, type of camera and so on that
would produce the effect.

Dusty air and a flash usually.
Old February 4th 06, 07:19 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.film+labs

Can someone provide a detailed description of what causes orbs to
appear on photographs, please? I've looked on the web and all
I find is either idiots talking about photographing fairies, aliens,
ghosts
or whatever. Other than that I find single line answers, like "out of
focus specks of dust"

I'd like something a bit more detail;ed and helpful than that. Eg,
information about lighting conditions, type of camera and so on that
would produce the effect.

It's an out-of-focus highlight - a very small object that is very
brightly-illuminated and out-of-focus. The shape that you see is actually
the shape of the lens' aperture, or round if not stopped down. In addition
to what's been said of dust, I've seen it caused by rain, snow, and
reflective surfaces (shiny metal) as well.

Contrary to what others have said, it doesn't take a point-and-shoot
camera - even with my 70-200mm f/2.8L, I have a picture with the same
phenominon - the picture is of a stream, and the sun was going down at about
90 degrees to the camera. A few out-of-focus areas in the stream reflected
the sun brightly enough, from a small enough area that was sufficiently
out-of-focus to cause them. The smaller format of a digital
point-and-shoot, coupled with the greater need for flash, and compounded by
having the flash so close to the lens all make a point-and-shoot vastly more
prone to the problem, but other formats aren't entirely immune.

steve

Old February 4th 06, 08:21 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.film+labs

It also depends on whether or not the person is TRYING to be devious.

For example, the number one cause of orbs and unexplained items is
Photoshop. With care, you can put anything anywhere.

Just before Christmas, I saw sunglasses in a party store. They had a
printed pattern on them. Then you looked into regular light, they
looked like sunglasses. When you looked into a point of light, like a
Christmas tree, you got a saying or an image (such as an angle).
Basically, it's the same thing as a really weird star filter. If you
put that over a lense, it would cause some interesting effects, esp.
since the angel would be out of focus.

Speaking of star filters, they will also cause lines of light to shoot
off of a spot of light.

In addition to what has been mentioned by other posters, you can also
get interior light reflections inside of your lense. It is a bright
spot of light coming into the lense and bouncing around. This isn't as
prevalent as it was due to better coatings and such, but it can still
happen. You'll see it on TV during things like football games when
they will shoot into the sun to cause the effect during when doing
intros, etc. It is usually characterized by a series of light spots.
Then can be roundish or they can be octagonal because of the lense's
iris. Like the other poster mentioned, it is caused by an extremely
bright point of light. If you get two close together, you might get a
UFO.

So if you are questioning a picture, look at the shadows. Was it shot
into the sun (or other bright light) or are there other lights around
(such as street lights).

Sometime dirt and dust in inadvertent. Take a camera from a cold place
into a warm and humid house, take a picture, and you'll get blurred and
light pictures from the fog. But with the right random pattern, it
might look like a ghost.

Of course, there is always the possibility that you did see a pixie and
you have the first photographic proof of it.

Old February 5th 06, 02:49 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.film+labs

"Joe Drake" wrote in message
k...
Can someone provide a detailed description of what causes orbs to
appear on photographs, please? I've looked on the web and all
I find is either idiots talking about photographing fairies, aliens,
ghosts
or whatever. Other than that I find single line answers, like "out of
focus specks of dust"

I'd like something a bit more detail;ed and helpful than that. Eg,
information about lighting conditions, type of camera and so on that
would produce the effect.

TIA

True "Orbs" are an unexplained light anomalies. What you are probably
getting, however, is either fine dust or fine water droplets in the air
which are illuminated by your flash. This is a more common occurrence with
digital compacts than it is with digital SLRs or film cameras.

I speak as a Paranormal Investigator and do not trust "orb" photos a great
deal.

MC

Old February 5th 06, 08:48 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.film+labs

On 4 Feb 2006 11:21:46 -0800, Pat wrote:

Of course, there is always the possibility that you did see a pixie and
you have the first photographic proof of it.

Other than the pixilated images provided by a couple of little
girls to Arthur Conan Doyle?

Orbs Joe Drake Digital Photography 7 February 5th 06 08:48 AM
Sony F828 Flash characteristics Marsha Adams via PhotoKB.com Digital Photography 8 February 20th 05 05:48 PM
'Orbs' [email protected] Digital Photography 8 December 12th 04 12:21 PM
digital cameras and flash = poor image quality?? michaelb Digital Photography 25 July 3rd 04 08:35 AM