Software for creating animation from time-lapse photos

Old March 17th 07, 06:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

Default Software for creating animation from time-lapse photos

I have just taken 500 shots of time-lapse photography of the sky and I
want to make an animation out of it. Can anybody recommend software
for doing this?

Thanks
Allan

Old March 19th 07, 03:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!) wrote:

On 17 Mar 2007 11:17:59 -0700, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
wrote:

I have just taken 500 shots of time-lapse photography of the sky and I
want to make an animation out of it. Can anybody recommend software
for doing this?

I use Animation Shop 3 which I have from an old version of PSP. I see
Corel is now selling this separately.
http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satelli...=1047024390003
I believe other have posted that Windows Moviemaker will do this and is a
free dl. But I'm not sure of this.

Windows Moviemaker comes free with winXP's SP2. It's not a complete
solution. I shot some more time lapse today, crunching down the files as
we speak... I re-summarized my notes (cause I always forget some
details) still a little messy but more thorough:

-----
Notes on technique

I used Irfanview to quickly batch the jpegs down to 640 wide, VirtualDub
to make the jpegs into .avi movies, for something more complex, make
each sequence a separate movie & use Windows MovieMaker (WMM) which
comes free with winXP's SP2 to arrange them and clip the ends as needed
to get the timing right. You can't get WMM to compile jpegs except at
like 1 frame per second. I'm sure there are simpler paid software
solutions, ProShow Gold is one, this is a free way to do it. CoolEdit is
not free if you need to fade out a song for a short movie. VirtualDub
can add sound too I think but you'd have to guess the timing.

I used a Nikon D200 with built in interval timer function, 4 seconds
seems to work for most clouds, 2 seconds for fog or sped up freeway
driving, one second for a winding road, I do 15 fps, well Windows
Moviemaker turns it into 30fps. CoolEdit is good for fading the sound
out at the end to match and free Windows Moviemaker to assemble the
bits, refine the timeline & add titles & credits. About 1,500 frames.

Note, for VirtualDub you need to rename the files in a perfect sequence
(no gaps), I use Adobe Bridge or ACDsee for renaming 001 002, etc then
open the first image and it opens them as a movie, then be sure to set
the frame rate and compression/output format/codec both are in the Video
menu, I chose the last codec in the list Microsoft Windows Media Video
9 and save as AVI. Other formats work with some variation, I'm not
saying that's the best one, it turned 18MB of jpegs into 1.5MB of video
for example. The default uncompressed was 170MB without music!
Old March 19th 07, 05:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Paul Furman wrote:

I shot some more time lapse today

Here it is, kind of a silly little flick but fun (7MB and small):
http://tinyurl.com/2qtufz
http://www.edgehill.net/1/?SC=go.php&DIR=California/Bay-Area/Peninsula/2007-03-18-los-trancos/movie

And a couple shots from today's hike where I shot the movie:
http://tinyurl.com/3ca6dc
http://tinyurl.com/39llp9
I really like the soft light filtered down from high trees, it's a way
of getting good light even at noon.
Old March 19th 07, 08:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
D.M. Procida

wrote:

I have just taken 500 shots of time-lapse photography of the sky and I
want to make an animation out of it. Can anybody recommend software
for doing this?

iStopMotion works directly with nearly all digital cameras, with the
digital stills camera plugin: http://istopmotion.com.

It will even remote control some of these for time-lapse photography.

Daniele