Good books on photography?

Old December 12th 04, 07:14 PM
Musty

Default Good books on photography?

Hi,

I wanted to buy a book (or books) on the following subjects:

(I would appreciate any comments/suggestions on these)

1) Composition:

So far I am thinking of getting "Photography & the art of Composition" by
Freeman, Patterson
There is also "Photographic Composition" by Grill

Any experience with these books? Any other suggestions.

2) Technical Techniques (specifically with SLR) - but a book that discussed
DSLR would even be better. This book would have to deal with technical
aspects (eg lighting, color, lenses, tricks etc). A deep discussion on
post-processing would be required.

3) A good technical book on Adobe photoshop (one that deals with PS 7.0 or
CS would be best)

In terms of knowledge, I would consider myself novice. I have really only
gotten into photography using digital cameras (previous owner of an Oly
C-5050Z). Currently I have a 20D /w 17-85mm EF-S.

Thanks
Musty.

Old December 12th 04, 08:37 PM
Michael A. Covington

2) Technical Techniques (specifically with SLR) - but a book that
discussed
DSLR would even be better. This book would have to deal with technical
aspects (eg lighting, color, lenses, tricks etc). A deep discussion on
post-processing would be required.

3) A good technical book on Adobe photoshop (one that deals with PS 7.0 or
CS would be best)

The one by Jim Milburn may fill the bill for both of these, especially the
latter. It's oriented toward photographers rather than people who want to
make weird color patterns.

Old December 12th 04, 09:27 PM
BigMike631

1st book on list - Exposure by Bryon Peterson
2nd book on list - Learning to see creatively by same
or
The photographic eye - Obrien and Sibly (text book type, with q's)

I like the top one the best for any beginner... You will learn most of
what you need from it...

Old December 12th 04, 11:11 PM
Mike Henley

I have not seen that "photography & and the art of composition" but if
it's the same Freeman by whom I have another book, then I wouldn't,
because his images did not appeal to my understanding of composition at
all. I did not like his sensibilities (he was evidently fond of those
silly environmental portraits and did them to an extreme; placing a
judge in a magnificent court hall or a collector amongst his
collection, all resulting in images in which the subject appeared very
small and remote, and achingly nerky, and he was also a fan of
extensive flash work and paraphenalia, which is a bad thing(TM) if your
image is badly composed to start with).

Old December 12th 04, 11:20 PM
Tony

Patterson's book is not about Composition - it is about Zen and pretty much
a really nice picture book. Grill and Scanlon are ok. Start out at the
library and look for books on composition in the art section. Most photo
composition books were written by people who have not studied composition
(or art at all) and have no idea what they are talking about. Photographers
tend to be a techy bunch and they figure they'll get around to composition
after they learn how to do a five light high key set-up or whatever other
technical goal they have.
I have a list of composition books that are actually about composition
at:
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com/mani/books/mbookcomp.html
The one I recommend most is
Image - Designing Effective Pictures, by Michael Freeman. It is out of print
but worth hunting down.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto