B&H is sharing your data! Sharing your DATA!!!

Old December 7th 17, 07:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
peter

Default B&H is sharing your data! Sharing your DATA!!!

On 2017-12-06 19:53, nospam wrote:
In article , peter
wrote:

If I order something from Amazon, I do not have to sign in, nor do I even
have to give them my credit card. What is strange about that is they are
using an old credit card that has expired. My new one has a different
security code, expiration date, and billing address

the bank pushed the updated information to amazon.

The the customer would see the last four digits of the currently valid
card in the payment form, when the client is asked to click on the
wanted payment method.

It can be verified if such is the case.

My guess is that the bank "redirects" the payment request to the new
card, same as they do with bank account numbers.

For instance, I'm paying with my accounts things that the supplier have
registered for recurring payments with my parents account many years
ago. It is automatic over here.

That may be the answer. I either order by phone, or in person, at the
store. I try not to go to the store unless I have a specific purpose. (It
is too hard to resist temptation.)

--
PeterN
Old December 7th 17, 09:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
Rich A wrote:

On another notr, there have been incidences of long-defunct credits cards
being billed and paid simply because the billing company is a huge
corporation.

cite.
Old December 7th 17, 09:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
Rich A wrote:

I was spammed by b&h for a lens in just bought.

don't subscribe and you won't be spammed.
Old December 7th 17, 09:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Bill W
wrote:

As someone who has had the same card compromised 4 times in the last
couple of years, I wish everyone would use it. It's tiresome updating
the info for the replacement cards when it's the same account after
all.

it's more tiresome dealing with a compromised card.

start using apple pay, and you'll only need to worry about inside leaks.

I'm sure it's the same with Android Pay,

close, but not quite. android pay is slightly less secure than apple
pay.

with both, the merchant doesn't get your actual card number, so even if
their systems are hacked, your card won't be.

but far too few places use it
around here. It's ridiculous. I can't even threaten to take my
business elsewhere because elsewhere doesn't have it either.

around here, it's nearly everywhere, with restaurants being the big
exception (mostly a cultural issue, not a technical one). some places
say they don't support it, but they do.
Old December 7th 17, 09:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Thu, 07 Dec 2017 16:15:13 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Bill W
wrote:

As someone who has had the same card compromised 4 times in the last
couple of years, I wish everyone would use it. It's tiresome updating
the info for the replacement cards when it's the same account after
all.

it's more tiresome dealing with a compromised card.

start using apple pay, and you'll only need to worry about inside leaks.

I'm sure it's the same with Android Pay,

close, but not quite. android pay is slightly less secure than apple
pay.

But more secure than handing it to the kid at the drive-through window
at Jack in the Box. I do have to give the CC companies some credit,
though: they have some pretty good algorithms for flagging sales. They
picked up on sales that seemed perfectly innocuous to even me, and
there have been no false positives at all, even for very large
charges.

with both, the merchant doesn't get your actual card number, so even if
their systems are hacked, your card won't be.

but far too few places use it
around here. It's ridiculous. I can't even threaten to take my
business elsewhere because elsewhere doesn't have it either.

around here, it's nearly everywhere, with restaurants being the big
exception (mostly a cultural issue, not a technical one). some places
say they don't support it, but they do.

Yep, big city living. You'd think Las Vegas would be a little further
along.
Old December 7th 17, 09:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Bill W
wrote:

As someone who has had the same card compromised 4 times in the last
couple of years, I wish everyone would use it. It's tiresome updating
the info for the replacement cards when it's the same account after
all.

it's more tiresome dealing with a compromised card.

start using apple pay, and you'll only need to worry about inside leaks.

I'm sure it's the same with Android Pay,

close, but not quite. android pay is slightly less secure than apple
pay.

But more secure than handing it to the kid at the drive-through window
at Jack in the Box.

or the underpaid waitstaff.

I do have to give the CC companies some credit,
though: they have some pretty good algorithms for flagging sales. They
picked up on sales that seemed perfectly innocuous to even me, and
there have been no false positives at all, even for very large
charges.

buy gas twice in the same day. they love that one.

with both, the merchant doesn't get your actual card number, so even if
their systems are hacked, your card won't be.

but far too few places use it
around here. It's ridiculous. I can't even threaten to take my
business elsewhere because elsewhere doesn't have it either.

around here, it's nearly everywhere, with restaurants being the big
exception (mostly a cultural issue, not a technical one). some places
say they don't support it, but they do.

Yep, big city living. You'd think Las Vegas would be a little further
along.

they're more further along than you might think. i see a ****load of
places w/contactless.
Old December 7th 17, 10:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Dec 7, 2017, Rich A wrote
(in ):

On another notr, there have been incidences of long-defunct credits cards
being billed and paid simply because the billing company is a huge
corporation.

There have??? Please cite.

Savageduck

Old December 7th 17, 10:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
peter

Rich A wrote:
I was spammed by b&h for a lens in just bought.

That would only happen to you.

Request an opt out

--
PeterN
Old December 7th 17, 10:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Dec 7, 2017, Bill W wrote
(in ):

On Thu, 07 Dec 2017 16:15:13 -0500,
wrote:

In , Bill W
wrote:

[...]

I believe that if you actually looked you would find that they are further
along than you thought. You have several Trader Joe’s in Las Vegas and they
use Apple Pay. I just got home from doing my pre-weekend resupply shopping,
and one of the stops was our local Trader Joe’s where I paid $62 via Apple
Pay using my iPhone.

Savageduck

Old December 7th 17, 10:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 07 Dec 2017 16:40:33 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Bill W
wrote:

[...]

I've bought gas three times in one day and twice the next day - and
nobody blinked. They probably recognised that each purchase was
several hundred miles from the previous purchase.