Profile issue

Old November 12th 04, 03:50 PM
Jytzel

Default Profile issue

I usually tag my JPGs in sRGB profile. Yesterday I tried out of
curiosity to "ASSIGN" an image with my monitor profile; the image
turned slightly contrastier.
I'm a little confused. What would that mean? my monitor is slightly
contrastier than it should be? Or should just ignore that finding?

regards,
J.
Old November 12th 04, 04:04 PM
gestels

J,

Assign means assign ... you don't really tag it, you just use it to convert
the source (whatever profile was used to open it or that is tagged to it) to
the destination (in this case your mon profile).
So "assign" simply replaces temporarly the profile that was originally
tagged to the image with the one you select .

Pege

om...

Old November 14th 04, 12:02 PM
Timo Autiokari

On 12 Nov 2004 07:50:24 -0800, (Jytzel) wrote:

I usually tag my JPGs in sRGB profile. Yesterday I tried out of
curiosity to "ASSIGN" an image with my monitor profile; the image
turned slightly contrastier. What would that mean? my monitor is slightly
contrastier than it should be?

When you have an image in the sadRGB color-space and you then Assign
your monitor profile to that image then Photoshop shows the image to
you exactly similarly as those programs in your system do that are not
color-managed. In other words the RGB codes are sent to the monitor
directly without any color-space conversion.

In case you see a difference at the moment when you perform this
Assign operation it means that your monitor is not in the sadRGB
space.

Generally the sadRGB space is not good for Web publishing since the
the vast majority of the systems on the Web are not in the sadRGB but
in the native color space of the CRT monitor that has the gamma 2.5
transfer function. Therefore it is not wise to calibrate the system
into gamma 2.2 using the AdobeGamma or other such tool, this has only
the effect that in such a system the images appear more bright
compared to that how they appear in the Web in genereal. AdobeGamma
allows to calibrate the system to gamma 2.5, simply write the value to
the gamma box.

You can download the nativePC profile from my my site
http://www.aim-dtp.net/aim/download/aim_profiles.zip it is far better
approximation for Web publishing than the sadRGB.

Timo Autiokari http://www.aim-dtp.net