Britain under the stars

Old December 17th 10, 08:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Britain under the stars

On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 22:13:17 -0800 (PST), Val Hallah
wrote:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/c...s.html?image=1

The length of the arcs traced by the stars show that a long exposurre
was used. Yet, in all that time the ship has neither drifted around on
its mooring lines nor risen and fallen with the tide.

My conclusion is that either the ship is firmly aground or the picture
is a composite constructed with photoshop or the like.

Eric Stevens
Old December 17th 10, 08:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_16_]

wrote:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/c...s.html?image=1

The length of the arcs traced by the stars show that a long exposurre
was used. Yet, in all that time the ship has neither drifted around on
its mooring lines nor risen and fallen with the tide.

My conclusion is that either the ship is firmly aground or the picture
is a composite constructed with photoshop or the like.

Eric Stevens

Agreed, but the ship looks to be sufficiently rusty that it may well be
permanently anchored, and not everywhere experiences large tides. It's
the very uniform lighting on the ship which seems odd to me.

Cheers,
David

Old December 17th 10, 01:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Andrew Templeman

Bruce wrote:

"David J Taylor" wrote:
"Eric Stevens" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 22:13:17 -0800 (PST), Val Hallah
wrote:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/c...ies/8207068/Br

itain-under-the-stars-Phil-Daintiths-pictures-capture-the-beauty-of-aban
doned-sites.html?image=1

The length of the arcs traced by the stars show that a long exposurre
was used. Yet, in all that time the ship has neither drifted around on
its mooring lines nor risen and fallen with the tide.

My conclusion is that either the ship is firmly aground or the picture
is a composite constructed with photoshop or the like.

Agreed, but the ship looks to be sufficiently rusty that it may well be
permanently anchored, and not everywhere experiences large tides. It's
the very uniform lighting on the ship which seems odd to me.

The ship is the former British Railways ferry "TSS Duke of Lancaster".
It was beached at Mostyn Dock in north Wales in 1979 and has remained
there ever since.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TSS_Duke_of_Lancaster
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mostyn
http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/northeast...ges/ship.shtml
http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/northeast...ges/ship.shtml

I can almost see this from my house, but the photo here is a much nicer
capture.

--
Andy Templeman http://www.templeman.org.uk/
Old December 17th 10, 04:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
irwell

On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 13:05:56 +0000, Andrew Templeman wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Thanks, I was puzzled over what TSS stood for, wiki gives
definitions of what it can mean, but I suppose Twin Screw Steamship
must be the one for the Duke.
Old December 17th 10, 05:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_16_]

"Bruce" wrote in message
[]
The ship is the former British Railways ferry "TSS Duke of Lancaster".
It was beached at Mostyn Dock in north Wales in 1979 and has remained
there ever since.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TSS_Duke_of_Lancaster
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mostyn
http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/northeast...ges/ship.shtml
http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/northeast...ges/ship.shtml

Thanks, Bruce.

David

Old December 17th 10, 07:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 11:24:02 +0000, Bruce
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

I'm pleased to learn that the ship is actually aground. Its a 'real'
photograph.

Eric Stevens
Old December 17th 10, 09:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
irwell

Bruce wrote:
The ship is the former British Railways ferry "TSS Duke of Lancaster".
It was beached at Mostyn Dock in north Wales in 1979 and has remained
there ever since.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TSS_Duke_of_Lancaster
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mostyn
http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/northeast...ges/ship.shtml
http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/northeast...ges/ship.shtml

I can almost see this from my house, but the photo here is a much nicer
capture.

Thanks, I was puzzled over what TSS stood for, wiki gives
definitions of what it can mean, but I suppose Twin Screw Steamship
must be the one for the Duke.

TSS = Turbine Steam Ship.

That would make more sense, seems there are lots of ship's name
prefixes according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_prefix.
Old December 18th 10, 12:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
irwell

Irwell wrote:
Thanks, I was puzzled over what TSS stood for, wiki gives
definitions of what it can mean, but I suppose Twin Screw Steamship
must be the one for the Duke.

TSS = Turbine Steam Ship.

That would make more sense, seems there are lots of ship's name
prefixes according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_prefix.

So you think it would make more sense, eh?

Well, that is so very kind of you, Irwell. First you thank someone
else for the factual information I provided, then you suggest that my
statement about the origin of the term TSS "would make sense".

For the avoidance of any further doubt on your part, it was a
statement of fact, not a mere suggestion or guess.

No doubt you will find a suitably patronising response; after all, it
does appear to be what you are best at. ;-)

Maybe take up embalming as a hobby.
Old December 18th 10, 01:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
peter

On 12/17/2010 2:48 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:

I'm pleased to learn that the ship is actually aground. Its a 'real'
photograph.

A ground what? ;-)

--
Peter
Old December 18th 10, 02:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 20:37:24 -0500, peter
wrote:

On 12/17/2010 2:48 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:

I'm pleased to learn that the ship is actually aground. Its a 'real'
photograph.

A ground what? ;-)

Nuts - to you.

Eric Stevens