Focus Fallibility: Lens Test Fallacies

Old June 21st 08, 01:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

Default Focus Fallibility: Lens Test Fallacies

Here is an interesting article by Dave Etchells:
http://www.slrgear.com/articles/focus/focus.htm

I found it interesting that according to him manual focus through the
viewfinder is not precise enough, while manual focus through live
preview on an LCD screen delivers the best results.
--

Alfred Molon
Old June 21st 08, 02:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
N[_5_]

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
Here is an interesting article by Dave Etchells:
http://www.slrgear.com/articles/focus/focus.htm

I found it interesting that according to him manual focus through the
viewfinder is not precise enough, while manual focus through live
preview on an LCD screen delivers the best results.
--

Alfred Molon

Indeed, an excellent read.

Old June 21st 08, 04:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chris H

In message , Alfred Molon
writes
Here is an interesting article by Dave Etchells:
http://www.slrgear.com/articles/focus/focus.htm

I found it interesting that according to him manual focus through the
viewfinder is not precise enough, while manual focus through live
preview on an LCD screen delivers the best results.

The point about testing the lens and not the camera is good.

I use the DXO RAW converter because DXO is also a lens test house and
the DXO RAW software can compensate for lenses and bodies.

They have a whole list of camera and lens modules and it automatically
loads the appropriate one(s) for each shot.

Old June 21st 08, 04:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_5_]

Matt Ion wrote:
Alfred Molon wrote:
Here is an interesting article by Dave Etchells:
http://www.slrgear.com/articles/focus/focus.htm

I found it interesting that according to him manual focus through the
viewfinder is not precise enough, while manual focus through live
preview on an LCD screen delivers the best results.

However did I survive with my old Minolta X-700??

As with any tool, by gaining experience in how best to use it. And
stopping down a little probably helped..... G

David

Old June 21st 08, 05:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , Matt Ion says...

However did I survive with my old Minolta X-700??

What do you think of the Tamron 70-300? I'm looking for a 70-300 lens
suitable for a Pentax K20D or Sony 350.
--

Alfred Molon
Old June 21st 08, 05:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article 122465f9-3e52-4411-b3d6-4f240fe66274
@x35g2000hsb.googlegroups.com, Don Stauffer in Minnesota says...

Admittedly an LCD screen is far, far from resolution needed to judge
focus.

But you can zoom down to pixel level and precisely adjust focus.
--

Alfred Molon
Old June 21st 08, 06:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

Alfred Molon wrote:
Here is an interesting article by Dave Etchells:
http://www.slrgear.com/articles/focus/focus.htm

I found it interesting that according to him manual focus through the
viewfinder is not precise enough, while manual focus through live
preview on an LCD screen delivers the best results.

Live view (on a D300, only one I've fiddled with) is not full
magnification. Post-view on the LCD of a D200 is as good as a computer
monitor (not true for the D70), but of course that takes trial & error.
Also they admit not attempting manual focus with a split prism
viewfinder focusing aid. Anyways yes, live view is the most accurate for
studio conditions but awkward for hand held shooting.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old June 21st 08, 06:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

Alfred Molon wrote:
In article 122465f9-3e52-4411-b3d6-4f240fe66274
@x35g2000hsb.googlegroups.com, Don Stauffer in Minnesota says...

Admittedly an LCD screen is far, far from resolution needed to judge
focus.

But you can zoom down to pixel level and precisely adjust focus.

Not quite that close. From what I've seen the D300 zooms closer after
taking the shot than in live view.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old June 21st 08, 09:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , Paul Furman
says...
Alfred Molon wrote:
In article 122465f9-3e52-4411-b3d6-4f240fe66274
@x35g2000hsb.googlegroups.com, Don Stauffer in Minnesota says...

Admittedly an LCD screen is far, far from resolution needed to judge
focus.

But you can zoom down to pixel level and precisely adjust focus.

Not quite that close. From what I've seen the D300 zooms closer after
taking the shot than in live view.

That depends on the camera. I think the K20D allows you to zoom down to
pixel level.
--

Alfred Molon
Old June 21st 08, 09:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , TRoss says...

And if you read it again you'll find that the LCD screen was also
inadequte for their needs.

They actually got the best results with the LCD screen, better than with
the camera AF and far better than manual focus through the OVF.
--

Alfred Molon