Enlarger Bellows Rebuild - modern tricks?

Old April 17th 08, 02:44 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
John[_13_]

Default Enlarger Bellows Rebuild - modern tricks?

Materials technology has changed a great deal in the past few decades, so I
am hoping (L-A-Z-Y) that there might be a flexible, nonsticky, spray-on
coating that can be applied inside and outside a large bellows (for 10X10"
enlarger).

For smaller bellows I patch pinholes using a material intended for those old
'soft top' hardtops of the Seventies. It applies smoothly, sets up flexible,
and is dead-black. But it won't fix this old bellows.

If none, then I think I might just send the old bellows to England to be
copied.

jjs

Old April 17th 08, 04:07 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
____

In article ,
"John" wrote:

Materials technology has changed a great deal in the past few decades, so I
am hoping (L-A-Z-Y) that there might be a flexible, nonsticky, spray-on
coating that can be applied inside and outside a large bellows (for 10X10"
enlarger).

For smaller bellows I patch pinholes using a material intended for those old
'soft top' hardtops of the Seventies. It applies smoothly, sets up flexible,
and is dead-black. But it won't fix this old bellows.

If none, then I think I might just send the old bellows to England to be
copied.

jjs

There are two bellows makers here in the US.

Universal Bellows,

Or you could look at the archive of "God Forbid No- I can hear your
screams now" View Camera Magazine. They had a article several years back
with detailed instructions on making a large custom bellows from scratch.

Personally I have used gaffers type tape to patch the corners of several
of mine.

--
Reality is a picture perfected and never looking back.
Old April 17th 08, 01:05 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
John[_13_]

"____" wrote in message

Or you could look at the archive of "God Forbid No- I can hear your
screams now" View Camera Magazine.

God forbid View Camera? Now why would I say that?

Old April 18th 08, 12:15 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
____

In article ,
"John" wrote:

"____" wrote in message

Or you could look at the archive of "God Forbid No- I can hear your
screams now" View Camera Magazine.

God forbid View Camera? Now why would I say that?

Then by all means find and read the article.

--
Reality is a picture perfected and never looking back.
Old April 18th 08, 03:14 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
John[_13_]

"____" wrote in message

Then by all means find and read the article.

The archves are are back issues for sale. I could find no free online
article about bellows.
The article in question is: Building a Camera Bellows, July/August 1996, pp
52-54

I'm pretty sure I can find an article on the 'net. Will just keep looking.
In the meantime, I've ust removed the existing bellows and it may be that I
can repair it after all. Will look into it tomorrow.

Old April 18th 08, 04:53 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
____

In article ,
"John" wrote:

"____" wrote in message

Then by all means find and read the article.

The archves are are back issues for sale. I could find no free online
article about bellows.
The article in question is: Building a Camera Bellows, July/August 1996, pp
52-54

I'm pretty sure I can find an article on the 'net. Will just keep looking.
In the meantime, I've ust removed the existing bellows and it may be that I
can repair it after all. Will look into it tomorrow.

Actually I was thinking the article in question came from an after year
2000 issue.

--
Reality is a picture perfected and never looking back.
Old April 18th 08, 04:59 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
jjs

"____" wrote in message
"John" wrote:

I'm pretty sure I can find an article on the 'net. Will just keep
looking.
In the meantime, I've ust removed the existing bellows and it may be that
can repair it after all. Will look into it tomorrow.

Actually I was thinking the article in question came from an after year
2000 issue.

We will never know because the four archive pages numbered Page 1 to Page 4
are all the same page: August1988 through Nove/Dec 2001. Permit me to be a
bit assertive and suggest that before you chastize someone for not looking,
that you look yourself.

Old April 18th 08, 05:00 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
jjs

The VC website is disorganized. To find pay-for archive material one goes
to the section advertising FREE material.

Old April 19th 08, 01:06 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
____

In article ,
"jjs" jjs.jjs.net wrote:

"____" wrote in message
"John" wrote:

I'm pretty sure I can find an article on the 'net. Will just keep
looking.
In the meantime, I've ust removed the existing bellows and it may be that
can repair it after all. Will look into it tomorrow.

Actually I was thinking the article in question came from an after year
2000 issue.

We will never know because the four archive pages numbered Page 1 to Page 4
are all the same page: August1988 through Nove/Dec 2001. Permit me to be a
bit assertive and suggest that before you chastize someone for not looking,
that you look yourself.

Only if you permit me to assert that I was not chastising you.

--
Reality is a picture perfected and never looking back.
Old April 19th 08, 04:32 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
John[_13_]

"____" wrote in message
"jjs" jjs.jjs.net wrote:

We will never know because the four archive pages numbered Page 1 to Page
4
are all the same page: August1988 through Nove/Dec 2001. Permit me to be
bit assertive and suggest that before you chastize someone for not
looking,
that you look yourself.

Only if you permit me to assert that I was not chastising you.

OK.I'll go for that. We good?