Need Lens Suggestion for Canon Digital Rebel

Old November 29th 06, 01:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Skip

Default Need Lens Suggestion for Canon Digital Rebel

"Barb" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello - We purchased a Canon Digital Rebel nearly a year ago because my
sister had one that took marvelous photos. 95% of the work we do with
the camera is close up work for ebay, however, and we find that on the
Macro setting, the flash pops up and then the flash washes out the
closeup. If we by-pass the flash, it seems our photos are always fuzzy
and not sharp...a little better with a tripod but still not great, and
because of the volume of photos we take in different locations around
the house, using a tripod is a real pain. My Fujifilm S5000 does a far
superior job with closeups, but we bought the Rebel thinking that
eventually my Fuji is going to crap out since it's got tens of
thousands of actuations. Also apparently I was an idiot not to
research the basic fact that one must look through the viewfinder to
see the shot with the Rebel, and I've got monovision with my contact
lenses, so I don't see anything well through the viewfinder with one
eye shut, and it's kind of pot luck if the shot comes out decent.

Since we paid a good chunk of change for this Canon Camera, can anyone
recommend a lens that can function well as a macro, and possibly with
an image stabilizer to avoid camera shake. We tried out the EF 28-105
f/3.5-4.5 II USM that we are selling for a consignor, but even that
didn't seem to work well. It could just be that the camera is not
calibrated correctly - when we purchased it in barely used condition
from a private party, we weren't told that it was a refurb. There is a
3 year warranty on it that was transferred to our name, but to get it
looked at we will need to send it in for God knows how long. Any ideas
for a decent lens that won't set us back too much $$? Thanks in
advance.

First, do not, repeat, do not, use the automatic settings. Use what Canon
calls "Creative" modes, the aperture priority, shutter priority, Program or
manual. Get a decent flash (if you were really doing macro, I'd recommend a
ring flash) and then try the lens you have. It should give decent results.
If you really think IS will help, then I'd recommend the 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS
USM.
Here's an image done with the Canon 20D (similar sensor to yours) and the
28-135
http://www.pbase.com/skipm/image/44537077/large
Our daughter takes ebay images all the time with the same camera as yours
and either that lens or a Tokina 28-70 f2.6-2.8, but she stays on Program
and uses either the on camera flash or a 420EX.

--
Skip Middleton
www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old November 29th 06, 01:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Skip

Oh, yeah, a tripod, too...

Old November 29th 06, 04:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pat

I will offer you contrarian advice which you can choose to use or
ignore without bothering me in the least. In fact, I was hoping one of
the other "old timers" (maybe even Randall) who knew a thing or two
about photography -- not juse using cameras as a way to get things into
PS -- would give you this reply, so I didn't have to.

Go on Ebay or better yet B&H and buy yourself a close-up filter. I'd
start with a -2 for about $20. You screw it on the end of your lens
(it says the size right on the end if you look at it) and start using
your camera. It makes the lens into a macro lens. Think of it as
making the lens nearsighted. If you want to take a picture of
something far away, then you have to remove the filter.

Would a purist recommend bellows instead, yeah because any filter
causes a slight distortion and loss of clarity, but you are taking
pictures for Ebay, not National Geographic so the filter will be
perfect for you.

Start by looking he
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...arch&Q=&ci=158
or if that doesn't work
www.bhphotovideo Filters and Accessorites Round Threaded, Bayonet &
Series Filters Close Up Lenses

Call and talk to a salesman before you order to make sure you get the
right one and the right diopter for your needs. This is "old school"
but it's also the right solution to your problem.

Good luck with it.

Old November 29th 06, 04:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
www.kevinkienlein.com

if your image is fuzzy you are too close to the image... it cant focus that
close...
a close-up lens would work better, and unless you use a diffuser on the
flash it will be very stark being so close, I have modified a white film
canister (put a slot in it) to put over the flash and it works well... or
use sidefill lights

I have a digital rebel, with a 28-200 tamron lens and it works fine, put
your items on a neutral color blanket and shoot away, you don't need fancy
pix for eBay... kk

"SimonLW" wrote in message
"Barb" wrote in message
[...]

Web/eBay shots hardly need much resolution. If your items are small, you
need a macro lens, but you need to hold the camera still or images will
blur from camera shake. A lens with IS (image stabilization) may
help.Which Rebel do you have? If it was new a year a go, it is probably
the XT. In this case, learn to use its flash exposure compensation. That
option costs nothing.
-S

Old November 29th 06, 05:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Arnor

Hi Barb,

Barb wrote:

Since we paid a good chunk of change for this Canon Camera, can anyone
recommend a lens that can function well as a macro, and possibly with
an image stabilizer to avoid camera shake. We tried out the EF 28-105

I have taken a lot of what I think are pretty good closeup shots with
the kit lens that came with my 350 (18-55mm). I take 99.9% of my
photos in manual mode and with that lens I use autofocus almost
exlusively. It produces sharp photos at close range. Example:
http://www.itakefotos.com/showfullimage.php?image=73 and
http://www.itakefotos.com/showfullimage.php?image=79

If you use a tripod you should not use IS, it generally produces
unsharp photos. Try to use a smaller aperture (higher f stops) and
longer shutter speed in good light. I have used a gray card and the
customized WB to get pretty nice color balance. If you look at this
page http://www.itakefotos.com/showthumbn...hp?category=11 I used a
bit unorthodox lighting for this - a flashlightg I would try to
borrow a lens and see if it makes a difference. If not, ask someone
else to try the camera and see if the problem persists. If not, then
it may be something that you may be doing (or not doing) when you take
the photos. Do you have a remote trigger or bulb? If not, how are you
taking the photos when you are using the tripod?

Best regards,

Arnor Baldvinsson
San Antonio, Texas

Old November 29th 06, 08:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Ortt

Have you considdered the 50mm f1.8 (mkII).

Very cheap lens but very fast meaning image shake is not as much of a
problem.

It is a fixed focal length but I find it marvelous.

Old November 29th 06, 01:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Barb

Thank you, all of you, for wonderful suggestions regarding using this
camera. I would definitely agree we're talking user error - although
it's just not me, it's my husband as well, so I thought perhaps
hardware might play a tiny role, too. There are some wonderful ideas
mentioned here. I guess my biggest problem is trying to be efficient
at being able to take lots of photos, from 3-6 feet and then close ups
of the same item or part of an item, in reasonable daylight, without
feeling like every shot has to be set up like a professional studio -
my profit margin is slim and too much time invested in photographing
pretty much negates any profits, however a beautiful clear photo
generally adds a lot to whether and for how much an item sells. And
ultimately I want to use this camera more, but I shy away from it
because it's such a crap shoot if a shot turns out! I'm open to more
suggestions, but will certainly take these to heart and thanks so much
for everyone offering their help! Barb

Arnor wrote:
Hi Barb,

Old November 29th 06, 01:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

"Barb" writes:

Simon, that would require reading the manual, lol. Our camera was
the first Rebel that Canon came out with, the 300D Digital Rebel,
and while we purchased it a year ago from a private party, it was
like new but apparently a refurbished model. We sell a lot of stuff
on ebay, but often have need for good close ups with small details
on items like marks on the bottom of china or porcelain, or
political pins, or coins, etc. Nearly every item we sell typically
has a closeup of one thing or another. We've been doing this for 6
years now, so we know how to hold a camera still ;-) and we would
really like to use this camera more efficiently but it does seem
like we need a macro lens for all the close up detail work, and if
there was one with image stabilization for this camera, all the
better. Any ideas? Thanks!

Seems you need to hold the camera steadier. Buy an old enlarger, any
crappy optical will do, toss the head and set up the EOS on the stand,
add lights and plug it into your PC and use it teathered so you don't
have to worry about the viewfinder. A 50 Macro will be overkill, so
a 50 1.8 plus a 12mm extention tube will do the job.

You may also want to get a Chem Lab heating stand, and rig a mount
for the front of the lens. Place against item, constant distance and
square.

--
Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd.,
+61 (08) 9257-1001 Kalamunda.
Old November 29th 06, 02:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dr. Joel M. Hoffman

Hello - We purchased a Canon Digital Rebel nearly a year ago because my
sister had one that took marvelous photos. 95% of the work we do with
the camera is close up work for ebay, however, and we find that on the
Macro setting, the flash pops up and then the flash washes out the
closeup. If we by-pass the flash, it seems our photos are always fuzzy
and not sharp...a little better with a tripod but still not great, and

It sounds like you have one of two problems, neither related to the lens.

1. You are not focusing properly. This is always a real possibility
with macro work. Is anything in the photo in focus?

2. You are using too low a shutter speed because you don't have
enough light. You are correct that the built-in flash may
overexpose the shot, though I think you can set the intensity of
the flash manually. A better solution is to invest in a nice
bright light source or two, and use them to light up whatever
you're taking a picture of.

In the end, for web photos of this sort, I think you're better off
with a P&S, but if you want to use the Rebel, I would suggest NOT
using macro mode at all. Put the camera a few feet from whatever
you're taking a picture of, and then crop the picture for the web.

-Joel

Free Hanukah songsheets in Hebrew and English: http://liturgy.exc.com/

Old November 29th 06, 11:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
JC Dill

On 28 Nov 2006 10:39:50 -0800, "Barb"
wrote:

Hello - We purchased a Canon Digital Rebel nearly a year ago because my
sister had one that took marvelous photos. 95% of the work we do with
the camera is close up work for ebay, however, and we find that on the
Macro setting, the flash pops up and then the flash washes out the
closeup. If we by-pass the flash, it seems our photos are always fuzzy
and not sharp...

Your problem isn't the lens, it's the lighting. Spending ~$100 on
lights and a light box will be a much better investment than buying a
different lens.

Here's a great tutorial on how to make a light tent for ~$20, and how
to buy and use cheap "desk lamp" type of lights with it:

http://www.pbase.com/wlhuber/light_box_light_tent

jc

~ Eileen Morgan of The Mare's Nest, PA