Need Lens Suggestion for Canon Digital Rebel

Old November 28th 06, 06:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Barb

Default Need Lens Suggestion for Canon Digital Rebel

Hello - We purchased a Canon Digital Rebel nearly a year ago because my
sister had one that took marvelous photos. 95% of the work we do with
the camera is close up work for ebay, however, and we find that on the
Macro setting, the flash pops up and then the flash washes out the
closeup. If we by-pass the flash, it seems our photos are always fuzzy
and not sharp...a little better with a tripod but still not great, and
because of the volume of photos we take in different locations around
the house, using a tripod is a real pain. My Fujifilm S5000 does a far
superior job with closeups, but we bought the Rebel thinking that
eventually my Fuji is going to crap out since it's got tens of
thousands of actuations. Also apparently I was an idiot not to
research the basic fact that one must look through the viewfinder to
see the shot with the Rebel, and I've got monovision with my contact
lenses, so I don't see anything well through the viewfinder with one
eye shut, and it's kind of pot luck if the shot comes out decent.

Since we paid a good chunk of change for this Canon Camera, can anyone
recommend a lens that can function well as a macro, and possibly with
an image stabilizer to avoid camera shake. We tried out the EF 28-105
f/3.5-4.5 II USM that we are selling for a consignor, but even that
didn't seem to work well. It could just be that the camera is not
calibrated correctly - when we purchased it in barely used condition
from a private party, we weren't told that it was a refurb. There is a
3 year warranty on it that was transferred to our name, but to get it
looked at we will need to send it in for God knows how long. Any ideas
for a decent lens that won't set us back too much $$? Thanks in
advance.

Old November 28th 06, 07:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
SimonLW

"Barb" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Web/eBay shots hardly need much resolution. If your items are small, you
need a macro lens, but you need to hold the camera still or images will blur
from camera shake. A lens with IS (image stabilization) may help.Which Rebel
do you have? If it was new a year a go, it is probably the XT. In this case,
learn to use its flash exposure compensation. That option costs nothing.
-S

Old November 28th 06, 08:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Geoffrey

Barb wrote:

[...]

60mm f/2.8 EFS USm + cheap tripod. The lens is a marvel (but use at 3.5
or higher for longer distance shots). Will take a good portrait of a
Hornet, and also of a friend.

Old November 28th 06, 08:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Barb

Simon, that would require reading the manual, lol. Our camera was the
first Rebel that Canon came out with, the 300D Digital Rebel, and while
we purchased it a year ago from a private party, it was like new but
apparently a refurbished model. We sell a lot of stuff on ebay, but
often have need for good close ups with small details on items like
marks on the bottom of china or porcelain, or political pins, or coins,
etc. Nearly every item we sell typically has a closeup of one thing or
another. We've been doing this for 6 years now, so we know how to hold
a camera still ;-) and we would really like to use this camera more
efficiently but it does seem like we need a macro lens for all the
close up detail work, and if there was one with image stabilization for
this camera, all the better. Any ideas? Thanks!

SimonLW wrote:
oups.com...

Old November 28th 06, 09:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Joseph Meehan

Barb wrote:
[...]

I don't think you need a fancy lens. You just need one that will focus
as close as needed. I would guess you real problem is lighting not the
lens. Try this. Take the camera and subject outside on a sunny day and
take one photo. I'll bet it will be plenty sharp for Ebay. Get more
light.

Of course there is an alternative. I believe you can use aperture
control to force a small aperture and using a tripod to assure the camera
does not move (and the subject as well) you can reproduce the sharpness of
that outside shot inside.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Old November 29th 06, 12:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
King Sardon

On 28 Nov 2006 10:39:50 -0800, "Barb"
wrote:

[...]

1) Read the camera manual and basic stuff on close-up photography.

2) More light will help... sunlight or a more powerful flash.

3) Don't move in any closer than the minimum focus distance.

4) Make sure the camera is focusing. You may need to focus manually.

5) For small items, shoot with maximum resolution and crop (in
software) to get the image you want.

6) If that is not satisfactory for those items, then you will need
extension tubes or (overkill for your purposes) a macro lens so you
can move in closer.

7) You don't need a tripod or image stabilization if you are using
flash.

8) Real close-up photography (of coins and stamps, say) is technically
difficult. Take the time to learn how to do it. Hardware alone will
not bring success.

KS

Old November 29th 06, 12:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Roy G

"Barb" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

If you are using a tripod and still getting fuzzy pictures, an I. S. lens is
not going to help. A good tripod will always do a better job than I.S.

Your problem is probably incorrect focus and or incorrect aperture setting,
not giving enough depth of field.

If you had said the image was sharp but too small, then that would indicate
a Macro Lens, or a supplementary Close Up Lens, was required.

Read up and learn how to use the camera.

If you already know what you are about, then it could be that your Camera is
faulty, but I rather suspect user error.

Roy G

Old November 29th 06, 12:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Barr

One suggestion: Use a longer close-focusing lens. These aren't genuine
'macro' lenses, but you can find them inexpensively.

[One example that many will turn their nose up at is a Vivitar 70-210
Series 1 APO. (These aren't the super-cheapies on ebay -- these are EF
that are perhaps seven years old). This lens will photograph about a 3"
subject full-frame on your DSLR).]

What this will do is move the camera physically away from the subject,
so that you can illuminate it properly. You can use gooseneck study
lights, for example. Before shooting, you can set up your white balance
so everything looks like it should.

You will have to use a tripod but, odds are, you'll have to anyway.

Another approach is to abandon the DSLR altogether and buy a refurb
Kodak DX7440 or the like, with the larger LCD on the rear of the camera,
so you can frame your subject with your vision problem. The close-up
performance of these little guys is pretty impressive, and easily
adequate for ebay.