ideal camera for me

Old November 29th 06, 03:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

Default ideal camera for me

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 18:20:56 -0500, Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:

Definitely take the Sony R1 . . . if you don't want to wait
several years for something to appear that more closely resembles
your probably unattainable dream camera.

Why? The Panasonic LX2 has far superior image quality
and is much cheaper and smaller.

By all means. It may not do too well in dim light but what the
heck. Win some, lose some, and it's not my money.

Old November 29th 06, 12:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mark B.

"minnesøtti" wrote in message
ups.com...

----------------------------
There is nothing unreasonable in my demand. Take a Pentax D100K, or a
Nikon D80 with 18-200 VR lens, and add a twistable "live" LCD screen.
This'll be what I am looking for !
-----------------------------

The sensors used in both of these cameras do not have live readout
capability, so yes it is an unreasonable demand.

Mark

Old November 29th 06, 08:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
JC Dill

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 07:36:21 -0500, "Celcius"
wrote:

What possible use would a Nikon D80 have of such an LCD? You only use
the LCD to see the result ;-))))

The lack of a twistable LCD is the #1 thing I missed when I went from
the Canon G1 to the DSLR series (300D then 1DMII). I would use a
twistable LCD even on my 1DMII if it were available. I would like
this feature on my next DLSR and would use it in at least 2 ways:

1) To make it easier to show the LCD to someone else while I'm holding
the camera (my hand in the hand-hold strap makes it hard to twist the
camera to align the LCD properly for someone else to view it straight
on).

2) To shoot hand-held over my head (e.g. shooting over the heads of
people standing in front of me) or at my waist (shooting candids
without bringing the camera up in front of my face, which can make
subjects self-conscious). Yes, I can only view the shot after I take
it, but by shooting, seeing what I get on preview by looking at the
twisted LCD, adjusting my hold and shooting again I can get the shots.
Without a twistable LCD I have to move the camera to view the result
of the first shot which makes "adjusting my hold" almost impossible
for subsequent shots.

jc

~ Eileen Morgan of The Mare's Nest, PA
Old November 30th 06, 12:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Celcius

wrote:

[...]

OK
But the twistable LCD is not part of a DSLR. Period.
I also started with a Canon G1.
I do it differently now with a XT.
A DSLR doesn't use the LCD. Period.
Let's get over it and forge ahead!
Marcel

Old November 30th 06, 07:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
JC Dill

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 18:47:53 -0500, "Celcius"
wrote:

A DSLR doesn't use the LCD. Period.

It doesn't now, but that doesn't mean it never will.

Let's get over it and forge ahead!

It sounds like YOU need to "get over it". I'm just mentioning some
valid uses for the feature if it ever gets implemented. Sheesh

Old November 30th 06, 08:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 18:47:53 -0500, Celcius wrote:

2) To shoot hand-held over my head (e.g. shooting over the heads of
people standing in front of me) or at my waist (shooting candids
without bringing the camera up in front of my face, which can make
subjects self-conscious). Yes, I can only view the shot after I take
it, but by shooting, seeing what I get on preview by looking at the
twisted LCD, adjusting my hold and shooting again I can get the shots.
Without a twistable LCD I have to move the camera to view the result
of the first shot which makes "adjusting my hold" almost impossible
for subsequent shots.

OK
But the twistable LCD is not part of a DSLR. Period.
I also started with a Canon G1.
I do it differently now with a XT.
A DSLR doesn't use the LCD. Period.
Let's get over it and forge ahead!

There are now several DSLRs that use the LCD. They include the
Panasonic Lumix L1 and Leica Digilux 3 (virtually the same camera),
Olympus's E400 (only intended to be sold in Europe) and the first to
use a 'live' LCD, Olympus's E-330, which is the only one of the lot
that has a moveable LCD display. We're now beyond it. Mush!

Old November 30th 06, 03:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Celcius

wrote:

A DSLR doesn't use the LCD. Period.

It doesn't now, but that doesn't mean it never will.

Let's get over it and forge ahead!

It sounds like YOU need to "get over it". I'm just mentioning some
valid uses for the feature if it ever gets implemented. Sheesh

jc

~ Eileen Morgan of The Mare's Nest, PA

JC,
Sorry for being abrupt (I got over it) ;-)
What I find is the fact that most of the time, with a camera that uses an
LCD, reflection, light, the sun, whatever... get in the way. My second
camera was a Canon Pro1. It could use the LCD, it was also "twistable", but
I constantly used the viewfinder which was very clear and, according to
Canon, covered 100% of the scene. It also had "spot metering", ISO down to
50, 2.0" TFT, 235,000 pixels LCD, 8MP, etc. :
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canonpro1/page2.asp
perhaps the closest to the description the OP made.
That camera had a major flaw however: When it was new, after using it for 50
or so shots, the lens froze up on me. Henry's gave me a new one. Less than a
year later, when I was on a trip to Greece, it did it again. When I came
back, Canon repaired it on warranty, but I elected to trade it in for a
Canon 350D.
Take care, and sorry again.
Marcel

Old November 30th 06, 04:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
jeremy

"Celcius" wrote in message

That camera had a major flaw however: When it was new, after using it for
50 or so shots, the lens froze up on me. Henry's gave me a new one. Less
than a year later, when I was on a trip to Greece, it did it again. When I
came back, Canon repaired it on warranty, but I elected to trade it in for
a Canon 350D.

They don't make cameras the way they used to. The environment has changed
from buying for long-term use (and having repair facilities when the
equipment failed) to stamping the gear out on automated assembly lines, and
replacing it rather than repairing it. The technology improvements made it
rather silly to fix something when a replacement often cost less and did
more.

Whether that is bad or good is something everyone can decide for themselves.

Old November 30th 06, 04:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

What would the life expectancy (working without problems) of a digital
camera be today.
From my own experience with previous cameras it appears that 30 months of
good usage is about the best duration.
That's why I am reluctant to spent over $500.00 for a camera. What do you
think?

Old November 30th 06, 05:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Funk

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 15:37:06 GMT, wrote:

What would the life expectancy (working without problems) of a digital
camera be today.

As long as the supporting hardware (batteries, memory cards, etc) hold
out.
And, of course, as long as the output of the camera (particular RAW
format, JPEG) is supported.
IOW, for the camera itself, as long as there are no problems, forever.
From my own experience with previous cameras it appears that 30 months of
good usage is about the best duration.

Ah! "Good usage". That's not objective, it's subjective. A very
different thing.
That's why I am reluctant to spent over $500.00 for a camera. What do you
think?

It depends on your own personal situation.
Rather obviously. :-)
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"