Rule of f16

Old May 6th 04, 07:31 PM
Trevor Longino

Default Rule of f16

As a photography student, I've had the "Rule of Sunny f16" drilled in to me.
I know with a 35mm what all the rules of thumb are; are they the same for a
6x9? I also usually overexpose my negatives about a half a stop to help get
a littl emore detail out of my highlights. Is this still neccessary with a
medium format?

Thanks!
Trevor Longino

Old May 6th 04, 07:55 PM
Hemi4268

Hi

More then you ever wanted to know about the rule of f16.

The sun is a fixed light source although the light hitting the earth can be
vary with the time of year and angle. This varation can be from about 12000
foot candles at the equator to around 1250 foot candles at the very nothern
reaches of Canada.

Average is about 5000 foot candles which the rule of f16 is attached to.

Knowing this, you might want to use f22 in the summer in Florida (about 10,000
ft candles) and f11 at Christmas time in Maine (about 2500 ft candles).
Generally, f16 is good in Washington DC in September.

Larry
Old May 6th 04, 08:07 PM
Q.G. de Bakker

Trevor Longino wrote:

As a photography student, I've had the "Rule of Sunny f16" drilled in to

me.
I know with a 35mm what all the rules of thumb are; are they the same for

6x9?

The "rule" is about light intensities, not formats.
The sun is the same, ISO film speed does not change, apertures are
apertures, shutterspeeds are still the same duration, only the size of the
piece of film is different.
They should have drilled that into you, instead of some dodgy rule.
;-)

I also usually overexpose my negatives about a half a stop to help get
a littl emore detail out of my highlights. Is this still neccessary with a
medium format?

Uhm... "The sun is the same, [etc]."
;-)

Old May 6th 04, 09:34 PM
Trevor Longino

Knowing this, you might want to use f22 in the summer in Florida

Thanks. Given that is *is* summer, and I *am* in florida, I'll stop my lens
down a bit more.

Peeks out window But I don't see you out there, so how did you know?

Pacem!
Trevor

Old May 7th 04, 06:51 AM
Stacey

Trevor Longino wrote:

As a photography student, I've had the "Rule of Sunny f16" drilled in to
me. I know with a 35mm what all the rules of thumb are; are they the same
for a 6x9? I also usually overexpose my negatives about a half a stop to
help get a littl emore detail out of my highlights. Is this still
neccessary with a medium format?

It's the same no matter what the size of the film is.
--

Stacey
Old May 7th 04, 07:47 AM
Lassi Hippeläinen

Hemi4268 wrote:

Generally, f16 is good in Washington DC in September.

It is pretty good also here in Europe.

-- Lassi
Old May 7th 04, 08:21 AM
David J. Littleboy

"Lassi Hippeläinen" wrote:
Hemi4268 wrote:

Generally, f16 is good in Washington DC in September.

It is pretty good also here in Europe.

In Japan, my eye tells me that the light is bright and harsh, but when I
actually meter things, f/8 seems to be the most common result at 1/film
speed.

Maybe I need a vacation.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old May 7th 04, 02:40 PM
Hemi4268

In Japan, my eye tells me that the light is bright and harsh, but when I
actually meter things, f/8 seems to be the most common result at 1/film
speed.

At f-8 would mean 1250 foot candles. Maybe London at Christmas time. Maybe
even North Korea but your at least a stop off anywhere in Japan.

Larry
Old May 7th 04, 04:21 PM
Robert Feinman

In article ,
says...
As a photography student, I've had the "Rule of Sunny f16" drilled in to me.
I know with a 35mm what all the rules of thumb are; are they the same for a
6x9? I also usually overexpose my negatives about a half a stop to help get
a littl emore detail out of my highlights. Is this still neccessary with a
medium format?

Thanks!
Trevor Longino

If you read the tips that come with Kodak film, you'll discover that
the f16 rule only applies to front lit subjects with few deep shadows.
They recommend f8 for contrasty scenes and/or side lighting.
I find that while my meter gives f16 I get the best slide exposures
at f11 for most landscapes and cityscapes.

--
Robert D Feinman
http://robertdfeinman.com
Old May 7th 04, 04:38 PM
David J. Littleboy

"Hemi4268" wrote:

In Japan, my eye tells me that the light is bright and harsh, but when I
actually meter things, f/8 seems to be the most common result at 1/film
speed.

At f-8 would mean 1250 foot candles. Maybe London at Christmas time.

Maybe
even North Korea but your at least a stop off anywhere in Japan.

Yes. I realize that. But the slides are coming out just fine. I'm using a
spot meter, looking at the subject, deciding whether I want it at zone IV,
V, or VI, and setting the exposure accordingly*. Recently, I've been doing
reality check against sunny 16, and I've observed that sunny 16 rarely gives
the same answer: sunny 8 seems right.

*: When the subject or part thereof falls in that range, of course.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan