X-T2 @ Yosemite Today SOOC

Old May 20th 17, 12:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default X-T2 @ Yosemite Today SOOC

On Sat, 20 May 2017 11:06:47 +1200, Eric Stevens
wrote:

I downloaded it once more and this time it works. Here is quick dash
with Light Room. I used the dehaze filter and some fiddling with color
temperature.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3kaynb57vi...-4603.jpg?dl=0

I understand that you just used dehaze and temperature adjustments, but
the entire color balance seems out of whack to me. I also understand
that you haven't visited Yosemite, and are not familiar with the
character of the rock in the Sierra.

The dehaze does a contrast push which emphasizes saturation. Then add,
what to my eye is way too much warming, and it becomes unnatural and
garish. When I said that is was a subdued, and overcast day I meant it.

What about this one? I've touched nothing which directly affects the
color. No dehaze. No saturation. Basically all that I affected was the
luminance. https://www.dropbox.com/s/35bheu8pon...4603a.jpg?dl=0

And then for the fun of it I tried this one:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/667qggx4dj...603PS.jpg?dl=0

I loaded it into Photoshop without any adjustments in ACR. The I
created a duplicate layer and set the mode to overlay.

Eric Stevens
Old May 20th 17, 01:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On May 19, 2017, Ron C wrote
(in ):

On Thu, 18 May 2017 22:21:45 -0700, Savageduck
On 2017-05-19 04:55:46 +0000, Eric
said:
On Fri, 19 May 2017 11:43:07 +1200, Eric Stevens
On Wed, 17 May 2017 21:56:22 -0700, Savageduck
On 2017-05-18 04:49:46 +0000, Bill said:
On Thu, 18 May 2017 00:37:33 -0400,
wrote:
On 5/18/2017 12:07 AM, Bill W wrote:
On Thu, 18 May 2017 15:55:30 +1200, Eric Stevens
wrote:

There is more to it than that. The colors look slightly off
and the
lightin is peculiar. I have had a quick go at one of your
shots with
Photoshop although this required dabbling in unfamiliar
territory. See
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s6dbcdd34m...3-EES.jpg?dl=0

Now the sky is purple...

Hmm.
Talk about ambiguity.
Song, or LGBT?

Nah, I'm a boring person. It's neither, just an objective comment. I
wish I could do better...

Here is the RAF if you care to try.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pj7bmsr7vabc9dt/_DSF4603.raf

For some reason none of my (up todate) Adobe CC software can open that
file. :-(

[...]

This is a rendition which to my eye works. As I said in another response
to Peter, the haze/mist deep in the valley was an integral part of the
scene that day and to try to fix all of the haze throws the entire image
off balance. There is nothing with this rendition that appears to
disturb the scene with regard to color balance, saturation, vibrance, or
sharpening.

I would say that if one would care to try for an "Adamsesque" B&W
rendition, this version would be a pretty good starting point.

I'm now wondering if a subdued color rendition could
improve on a classic "Adamsesque" B&W rendition.

[Um, no .. I'm not going to try.]

Why not?
All you need is the inclination, and the time.

Savageduck

Old May 20th 17, 01:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

wrote:

[...]

Looks much better than the other one. The sky still seems to have a
purple tinge in that other one.
Old May 20th 17, 01:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Fri, 19 May 2017 19:03:13 -0400, PeterN
wrote:

On 5/19/2017 5:29 PM, Ron C wrote:
On 5/19/2017 5:59 AM, PeterN wrote:
On 5/18/2017 10:49 PM, Bill W wrote:
On Thu, 18 May 2017 22:46:09 -0400, PeterN

On 2017-05-19 02:26:04 +0000, PeterN
said:

On 5/18/2017 8:35 PM, Bill W wrote:

snip

Good to hear. I usually go for accuracy, but decided to just go with
what I felt looked nice to my eye.

I go for impression, rarely for accuracy.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t2quthg7matfxs8/Boron%20Botanical1filtered.jpg?dl=0

Your are, if nothing else, artistically predictable. ;-)

My impression of a Chihuly.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r8w53i3y3m9cv8m/Dale%20Chihuly1.jpg?dl=0

That man belongs in art prison for fraud.

You may not like it, but it is art. He has a major exhibit at the BBG.

Darn, for a moment I thought this thread was going to
drift in to the weird world of artistic impressions.

I wouldn't want this hanging on my wall, yet I guess it is art.

http://www.thefader.com/2017/05/18/jean-michel-basquiat-painting-sold-for-a-record-110-million

This is not a comment on that particular piece, but let's face it, no
matter what you come up with, somebody can find a way to call it art.
Everything is art to someone, until there is an agreed upon rigid
definition of art, which means everything is art forever.
Old May 20th 17, 01:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On May 19, 2017, Eric Stevens wrote
(in ):

wrote:

[...]

Hmm...
Interesting, though it gives it a somewhat washed out feel.

Savageduck

Old May 20th 17, 01:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron C

On 2017-05-19 04:55:46 +0000, Eric
wrote:

[...]

Let's call that rhetorical.

However, I might add that I've:
[1] Never been to Yosemite
[2] Haven't really seriously studied Adams
[3] Don't really have the inclination (see [1]&[2] above)

--
==
Later...

Old May 20th 17, 01:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On May 19, 2017, Ron C wrote
(in ):

On 2017-05-19 04:55:46 +0000, Eric
wrote:

[...]

Fair enough. #3 is the controlling factor for now.

With regard to #2, If you have any interest in one (or any) of our great
photographic innovators consider several books; “Ansel Adams: The
Camera”, “The Negative: Ansel Adams Photography”, “Examples; The
Making of 40 photographs: Ansel Adams”, “Ansel Adams in The National
Parks”, and “Ansel Adams in Color” all are available from Amazon, or
via the Apple iBooks store.

As to #1, if you have any sort of US travel bucket list I would highly
recommend considering visits to a few of the Western National Parks such as
Yosemite NP, Sequoia-Kings Canyon NP, Zion NP, North and South Rim of Grand
Canyon NP, Death Valley NP. There are others, but try those for starters.
https://www.nps.gov/findapark/index.htm

I have another recommendation for any old farts over 62, who might be
considering visiting National Parks anywhere in the US. Visit your closest NP
as soon as possible and buy a *Senior Lifetime Pass*, it is currently a
bargain at $10, but is soon going to be increased to $80. It has been the
best $10 I have spent. Without that Senior lifetime pass, regular 7 day
vehicle entry to the parks is $30, and an annual pass is $80.

Savageduck

Old May 20th 17, 03:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron C

On 5/19/2017 8:57 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On May 19, 2017, Ron C wrote
(in ):

On 2017-05-19 04:55:46 +0000, Eric
wrote:

[...]

Thanks. Did not know about the *Senior Lifetime Pass* but not
sure there's much value to the pass here in New Jersey.

Also as to #1, I've never been big on travel. Though I have enjoyed
the work related travels. [Usually sans camera. :-( ]

Re #2, I tend to be more of a Peter Max than an Adams.
I have absolute respect for Adam's work, but not my thing.

--
==
Later...

Old May 20th 17, 03:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On May 19, 2017, Ron C wrote
(in ):

On 2017-05-19 23:06:47 +0000, Eric

On 2017-05-19 04:55:46 +0000, Eric
wrote:

[...]

Is there a good reason to stick to NJ?
I am sure that a little research should find someplace which might grab your
interest. I don’t restrict myself to California, I look to most of the West
in Oregon, Washington, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico as all fair game. If I head
back East I have a few places I would like to visit, such as Acadia NP.

Also as to #1, I've never been big on travel. Though I have enjoyed
the work related travels. [Usually sans camera. :-( ]

Of course the big part of work related travel is the light hit to the wallet.
The choice is always yours, I just think there is so much to appreciate with
what we have in this country, and it is sad to waste our good fortune by
ignoring what is in our backyard. The question, if you are in reasonable
health and are not otherwise occupied, is why not take a trip, any trip?

What else is there to do?

My next plan is to take the Coast Starlight for a train trip up to Seattle
for a few days. Then of course there is the Rolex Monterey Motorsport Revival
at Laguna Seca in August, but for me that is pretty much local.

Re #2, I tend to be more of a Peter Max than an Adams.
I have absolute respect for Adam's work, but not my thing.

All well and good. However, there is no harm in a boardening of scope.

Savageduck

Old May 20th 17, 04:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:

Also as to #1, I've never been big on travel. Though I have enjoyed
the work related travels. [Usually sans camera. :-( ]

Of course the big part of work related travel is the light hit to the wallet.

true, but rarely any time for sightseeing.

The choice is always yours, I just think there is so much to appreciate with
what we have in this country, and it is sad to waste our good fortune by
ignoring what is in our backyard. The question, if you are in reasonable
health and are not otherwise occupied, is why not take a trip, any trip?

What else is there to do?

yep.

My next plan is to take the Coast Starlight for a train trip up to Seattle
for a few days. Then of course there is the Rolex Monterey Motorsport Revival
at Laguna Seca in August, but for me that is pretty much local.

at least you won't have to worry about bringing personal electronics on
board a train.