Why will mobile device cameras probably never have the QOR of SLRs?

Old May 10th 17, 04:05 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,rec.photo.digital,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
nospam

Default Why will mobile device cameras probably never have the QOR of SLRs?

In article , Tomos Davies
wrote:

Why will mobile device cameras probably never have the QOR of SLRs?

physics
Old May 10th 17, 04:21 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,rec.photo.digital,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
newshound

On 5/10/2017 4:05 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , Tomos Davies
wrote:

Why will mobile device cameras probably never have the QOR of SLRs?

physics

To be more helpful, depth is one parameter. Unless people start
accepting phones an inch or two thick again, they are only going to have
tiny sensors.

A bigger sensor is going to out-perform both on resolution and on noise.

A proper camera geometry gives you more scope for zoom and/or
interchangeable lenses.

To deal with the sensor size factor, I suppose I could envisage phones
which one day have multiple lenses (like an insect), thus increasing
sensor area at the cost of needing more processing.
Old May 10th 17, 04:23 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,rec.photo.digital,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
nospam

In article ,
newshound wrote:

Why will mobile device cameras probably never have the QOR of SLRs?

physics

To be more helpful, depth is one parameter. Unless people start
accepting phones an inch or two thick again, they are only going to have
tiny sensors.

that's where the add-on cameras come into play but trollboi has
rejected those.

A bigger sensor is going to out-perform both on resolution and on noise.

yep.

A proper camera geometry gives you more scope for zoom and/or
interchangeable lenses.

there is nothing improper about a cellphone camera. it just brings
compromises due to its size.

To deal with the sensor size factor, I suppose I could envisage phones
which one day have multiple lenses (like an insect), thus increasing
sensor area at the cost of needing more processing.

the future of photography is computational photography.
Old May 10th 17, 04:25 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,rec.photo.digital,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
newshound

wrote:

Why will mobile device cameras probably never have the QOR of SLRs?

physics

To be more helpful, depth is one parameter. Unless people start
accepting phones an inch or two thick again, they are only going to have
tiny sensors.

A bigger sensor is going to out-perform both on resolution and on noise.

A proper camera geometry gives you more scope for zoom and/or
interchangeable lenses.

To deal with the sensor size factor, I suppose I could envisage phones
which one day have multiple lenses (like an insect), thus increasing
sensor area at the cost of needing more processing.

Before 35 mm film became ubiquitous, "folding" cameras using 120 film
were widely used by the enthusiastic amateur. I suppose I could just
about visualise a similar arrangement in a mobile phone, allowing
something like an FF sensor together with a modern pancake lens.
Old May 10th 17, 04:40 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,rec.photo.digital,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Right now the best you are going to do with an iPhone is the DxO-One,
but that is an add-on which can also function as a stand-alone.
http://www.dxo.com/us/dxo-one

Savageduck

Old May 10th 17, 05:46 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,rec.photo.digital,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Whiskers

wrote:

[...]

Or a mobile phone with a 6x9cm sensor on the back, behind a 'dark
slide', along with a separate box containing a prime 10cm lens with a
silk bellows and a slide-holder (what used to be called 'a camera', in
fact). Could even accommodate proper 'movements' if the lens was up to
it. You'd still need a decent tripod though. And probably a shutter.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers
Old May 10th 17, 06:06 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,rec.photo.digital,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
PeterN[_6_]

wrote:

[...]

You forgot to include a Sherpa to carry it around.

--
PeterN
Old May 10th 17, 10:54 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,rec.photo.digital,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Eric Stevens

On Wed, 10 May 2017 11:23:38 -0400, nospam

newshound wrote:

[...]

I was going to point that out but you beat me to it. Except I wouldn't
have called it computational photography. I was thinking of things
like
https://www.rambus.com/blogs/solid-s...art-sensors-2/
or http://tinyurl.com/mvl5zxu
Is this the kind of thing you were referring to?

Eric Stevens
Old May 10th 17, 11:13 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,rec.photo.digital,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

To deal with the sensor size factor, I suppose I could envisage phones
which one day have multiple lenses (like an insect), thus increasing
sensor area at the cost of needing more processing.

the future of photography is computational photography.

I was going to point that out but you beat me to it. Except I wouldn't
have called it computational photography.

what would you have called it?

the industry is calling it computational photography.

I was thinking of things
like

https://www.rambus.com/blogs/solid-s...ghts-lensless-
smart-sensors-2/
or http://tinyurl.com/mvl5zxu
Is this the kind of thing you were referring to?

no.

plenoptics is one example, first seen in the lytro:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-field_camera

another is what the iphone 7+ camera does, modeling a shallow depth of
field using two lenses of different focal lengths.
Old May 11th 17, 12:32 AM posted to comp.mobile.android,rec.photo.digital,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Whiskers

wrote:

[...]

grumble young people these days ... /grumble

--
-- Whiskers