Micro 4/3 at ISO 3200

Old April 25th 17, 08:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Micro 4/3 at ISO 3200

On 2017-04-25 19:02:36 +0000, Alfred Molon said:

In article 201704250912162196-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, Savageduck
says...
So an idea use for a mirrorless camera but I have one of those and
where as a DLSR will have a mirror making the noise my canon EOS M3 has
the sensor flapping up and down making all the noise. (unless I switch
to video mode)

What sensor flapping up and down?
If it does, that would be a serious concern for Canon.

To solve the problem of the swinging sensor we have to wait for the next
generation of sensorless cameras :-)

I guess that would make it the ultimate action camera. ;-)

Savageduck

Old April 25th 17, 09:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

On 2017-04-21 03:26:08 +0000, Davoud said:

Alfred Molon:

This is what micro 4/3 is capable of at the moment:
http://www.molon.de/images/P4173139.jpg

Taken with the Olympus E-M1 II and the 12-100 lens.

Uh, OK, looks good, but do people really go around shooting at ISO
3200? If so, why, outside of astrophotography?

Shooting high ISO is just another creative option, especially with newer
sensors. While it is optimal to shoot at native ISO there are definitely
times when higher ISO is desirable. Remember there are folks who shoot
genres other than astrophotography, or macro photography of insects.

Today many cameras perform well in low light at ISO 3200, 6400, and to
12800 and beyond. You will find that a new trend is to use Auto-ISO with
a base ISO, a minimum shutter speed, and max ISO set. Canon, Nikon,
Olympus, Fujifilm and others all have this feature, and it works well. I
use it all depending on circumstances; fixed ISO, (native and selected
sub-native, medium, and high), and three different Auto-ISO set-ups.

+1

I also tend to use auto white balance by default on the X-E1 (except for
sunrise / sunset etc of course).

Prior to that (film mind-set, I suppose) I would normally select from
sunny / shady / tungsten / fluorescent settings.

Wouldn't claim any special merit for this, just a family snap with
available light, mostly daylight but some artificial. Also with my
common default of + 2/3 stop.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Old April 25th 17, 09:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

On 4/23/2017 2:09 PM, Noons wrote:
On 23/04/2017 4:48 @wiz, Alfred Molon wrote:
In article , Noons says...
With my EM5, I've used up to 1/250 on an adapted Sigma 500mm/8 mirror
lens with up to 3200ISO with relatively good results for Saturn and
Jupiter. With the moon I've used high ISO to crank up the shutter speed
and take 40Mpixel shots with the sensor shifting multiple exposure.

Now I'm curious. Have you posted your images somewhere, so that we could
have a look at them?

No, sorry. I don't post large images anywhere anymore.
Had enough of the bull**** that goes on online with copying of images
and using them without authorization. When some idiot stole one of my
images in Gurushots and messed it up in Photoshop to enter a
competition, I drew the line...

I have some small ones in Facebook. The album is open to public and you
can have a peek there. Excuse the Portuguese in some of the comments.
I've added info on how each shot was made for most shots and what they
are of. Bear in mind I'm in Australia so the Moon is upside down!

They are a bit old (around 2 years) and very small, but should be enough
to give you an idea of what's possible with simple gear.

https://www.facebook.com/nuno.pintod...7241591&type=3

I *love* your sword of Orion shots! I really ought to try this myself.
Old April 26th 17, 02:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davoud

Davoud:
I shoot between ISO 100 and 200. Not enough
light? That's what off-camera flashes are for
https://www.flickr.com/photos/primeval/33738820160/,
https://www.flickr.com/photos/primeval/33278813924.

Whisky-dave:
While yuo say yuo shoot between 100-200 why are both the images you posted
as some sort of proof both been shot at 400 ? [sic]

Because I'm not locked into any dogmas. I *usually* shoot at ISO
100-200, but I do what is necessary to get the photos that I want.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old April 26th 17, 02:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davoud

Alfred Molon:
To solve the problem of the swinging sensor we have to wait for the next
generation of sensorless cameras :-)

That will be a major advance. I foresee a strip of plastic, coated with
a film of appropriate chemicals, moving past the shutter in relative
silence. The photographer would pause this process long enough to
expose the "film" to light.

Old April 26th 17, 05:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
Tony Cooper wrote:

On Tue, 25 Apr 2017 21:47:46 -0400, Davoud wrote:

Alfred Molon:
To solve the problem of the swinging sensor we have to wait for the next
generation of sensorless cameras :-)

That will be a major advance. I foresee a strip of plastic, coated with
a film of appropriate chemicals, moving past the shutter in relative
silence. The photographer would pause this process long enough to
expose the "film" to light.

Will the strip of plastic be passed in front of a pinhole?

It's usually positioned to be illuminated on the backside of it.
Anything else would be backwards! :-ppp
--
teleportation kills
Old April 26th 17, 03:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2017-04-25 15:56:05 +0000, Whisky-dave said:

On Tuesday, 25 April 2017 14:48:44 UTC+1, David Taylor wrote:
On 25/04/2017 11:07, Whisky-dave wrote:
[]
Have you ever tried gig photogrpahy or some sports photography, I was
watching the snooker last night
[]

Snooker - an event where the clatter of a flapping mirror isn't
appreciated, and might even get you thrown out.

So an idea use for a mirrorless camera but I have one of those and
where as a DLSR will have a mirror making the noise my canon EOS M3 has
the sensor flapping up and down making all the noise. (unless I switch
to video mode)

What sensor flapping up and down?
If it does, that would be a serious concern for Canon.

Well whatever they call that shiney thing you can see your reflection
in when you take the lens off,

That "shiney thing" is the sensor you idiot.
It seems you have no idea of construction of mirrorless cameras, even yours.

or what makes the flapping noise or why can;t I see the image on the
LCD during exposures in a M3. ?

There is only the sound of the shutter.

The simple version of why you can't see the image on the LCD during
exposures is, LCD/VF blackout due to sensor/LCD/SD card write lag, and
LCD refresh speed. There is much more to it than that, but you are the
one who thinks there is something flapping in your M3, when there
isn't, so it is best to keep it simple.

Savageduck

Old April 26th 17, 05:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2017-04-25 15:56:05 +0000, Whisky-dave said:

[...]

That what I said !

....and that "shiney thing sensor" does not flap up and down. It doesn't
move at all.

Who's the ****ing idiot that asked sensor then ?

Do you have a mirror handy?

" What sensor flapping up and down?
If it does, that would be a serious concern for Canon."

It seems you have no idea of construction of mirrorless cameras, even yours.

I do others don't.

You have yet to present any evidence that you do.

So who's the ****ing idiot ?

It seems the idiot is the one in sheltered employment in London.

or what makes the flapping noise or why can;t I see the image on the
LCD during exposures in a M3. ?

There is only the sound of the shutter.

No there's the mechanical sound of the sensor or are yuo saying it
doesn;t make a noise or that it doesn;t exist or move what is it this
time ?

The sensor doesn't make, or shouldn't make any noise. If it does you
should get to Canon service ASAP.

The sensor does not have IBIS, so it has no need to move at all. If it
does you should get to Canon service ASAP.

The simple version of why you can't see the image on the LCD during
exposures is, LCD/VF blackout due to sensor/LCD/SD card write lag, and
LCD refresh speed. There is much more to it than that, but you are the
one who thinks there is something flapping in your M3, when there
isn't, so it is best to keep it simple.

So what is making the noise then ?

You might have some sounds related to the AF servo hunting, and/or the
activation of the mechanical shutter. If you are using a lens with OS,
that might be adding to any sounds you are hearing. What you are not
hearing is a flapping sensor.

It is worth noting the M3 does not have a silent shooting mode.

Savageduck

Old April 26th 17, 05:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

On 2017-04-25 15:56:05 +0000, Whisky-dave said:

[...]

No. You'll have get at least the M4 for that.
Don't know 'bout M5
'n 6...
--
Bats can't tell us apart!

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Old April 26th 17, 06:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article 2017042609071397972-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, Savageduck
says...

On 2017-04-25 15:56:05 +0000, Whisky-dave said:

[...]

Now if nospam joined this discussion it would be perfect ;-)

Where is nospam when you need him?
--
Alfred Molon