Taking photos through diaphanous curtains.

Old March 29th 17, 05:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Peter Jason

Default Taking photos through diaphanous curtains.

I take time-lapse photos of people. Surreptitiously.

I am disguising the camera behind very thin translucent curtains, and
I notice the focus is not affected by this, and the images are sharp.
However these are surrounded by a ''foggy mist" and I ask if this
'mist' can be removed by software, given that it is constant.
Old March 29th 17, 05:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Mar 28, 2017, Peter Jason wrote
(in ):

I take time-lapse photos of people. Surreptitiously.

That sounds sneaky, creepy, and suspicious, and very voyeuristic.

I am disguising the camera behind very thin translucent curtains,

Why?
What exactly are your subjects engaged in that you have to be so sneaky?
What camera/lens combo are you using?

and
I notice the focus is not affected by this, and the images are sharp.

OK! That gives you a starting point.

However these are surrounded by a ''foggy mist" and I ask if this
'mist' can be removed by software, given that it is constant.

You have effectively placed a texture filter in front of your lens. The only
way you might clean up the images is going to be dependant on the photo
processing/editing software you are using. Consider making subtle black
point, and contrast adjustments. If your software has the tools also look to
clarity, and Dehaze, or defog adjustments.

Savageduck

Old March 29th 17, 07:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
Tony Cooper wrote:

On Wed, 29 Mar 2017 15:00:38 +1100, Peter Jason wrote:

I take time-lapse photos of people. Surreptitiously.

I am disguising the camera behind very thin translucent curtains, and
I notice the focus is not affected by this, and the images are sharp.
However these are surrounded by a ''foggy mist" and I ask if this
'mist' can be removed by software, given that it is constant.

You are photographing a neighbor in the shower?

Does he have knives in his kitchen?
--
teleportation kills
Old March 29th 17, 08:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 28 Mar 2017 21:26:41 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

[...]

Dehazing relies on a color filter. Peter Jason's problem is that his
camera is faithfully recording (very much out of focus) the structure
of the "very thin transluscent curtains". There is no simple way that
he can get rid of it. I can think of some things I would try with
multiple exposures and the subtraction of layers. I don't know whether
or not they would work.

Eric Stevens
Old March 29th 17, 11:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 29/03/2017 08:41, Eric Stevens wrote:
[]
Dehazing relies on a color filter. Peter Jason's problem is that his
camera is faithfully recording (very much out of focus) the structure
of the "very thin transluscent curtains". There is no simple way that
he can get rid of it. I can think of some things I would try with
multiple exposures and the subtraction of layers. I don't know whether
or not they would work.

Paint Shop Pro 10 has "clarify", worth a try for overall haze. Or,
remove the low spatial frequencies (out of focus) - a free plug-in for
Paint Shop Pro, possibly Frequency Separation in Affinity Photo.

--
Cheers,
David
Old March 29th 17, 09:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Peter Jason

wrote:

On Mar 28, 2017, Peter Jason wrote
(in ):

I take time-lapse photos of people. Surreptitiously.

That sounds sneaky, creepy, and suspicious, and very voyeuristic.

Yes; isn't it wonderfull?

I am disguising the camera behind very thin translucent curtains,

Why?

Because the subjects act naturally with no camera in sight.

What exactly are your subjects engaged in that you have to be so sneaky?

They are sitting around sipping coffee and picking each other up.

What camera/lens combo are you using?
A Olympus E5 with a 600mm telephoto. (2/3rds)

and
I notice the focus is not affected by this, and the images are sharp.

OK! That gives you a starting point.

However these are surrounded by a ''foggy mist" and I ask if this
'mist' can be removed by software, given that it is constant.

You have effectively placed a texture filter in front of your lens. The only
way you might clean up the images is going to be dependant on the photo
processing/editing software you are using. Consider making subtle black
point, and contrast adjustments. If your software has the tools also look to
clarity, and Dehaze, or defog adjustments.

I have PShop6 so I'll try when I empty the camera.

Note: taking photos from behind glass (such as in a van) messes up the
focusing. The "curtain method" does not seem to have this problem.
(Though folds and creases in the curtain gives graduations.)

Old March 29th 17, 10:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Thu, 30 Mar 2017 07:50:30 +1100, Peter Jason wrote:

A Olympus E5 with a 600mm telephoto. (2/3rds)

600 mm? Then why do you need to hide the camera?
Old March 30th 17, 12:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

On Mar 28, 2017, Peter Jason wrote
(in ):

I take time-lapse photos of people. Surreptitiously.

That sounds sneaky, creepy, and suspicious, and very voyeuristic.

Yes; isn't it wonderfull?

I am disguising the camera behind very thin translucent curtains,

Why?

Because the subjects act naturally with no camera in sight.

What exactly are your subjects engaged in that you have to be so sneaky?

They are sitting around sipping coffee and picking each other up.

That still sounds sneaky.
There are other ways to get that type of shot:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2w1jexn420wo36g/DSC_0568-Edit.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jqmr28hdwz8nfos/DSC_0573-Edit-3.jpg

What camera/lens combo are you using?
A Olympus E5 with a 600mm telephoto. (2/3rds)

OK.

and
I notice the focus is not affected by this, and the images are sharp.

OK! That gives you a starting point.

However these are surrounded by a ''foggy mist" and I ask if this
'mist' can be removed by software, given that it is constant.

You have effectively placed a texture filter in front of your lens. The only
way you might clean up the images is going to be dependant on the photo
processing/editing software you are using. Consider making subtle black
point, and contrast adjustments. If your software has the tools also look to
clarity, and Dehaze, or defog adjustments.

I have PShop6 so I'll try when I empty the camera.

Note: taking photos from behind glass (such as in a van) messes up the
focusing. The "curtain method" does not seem to have this problem.
(Though folds and creases in the curtain gives graduations.)

There is always manual focus.

Savageduck

Old March 30th 17, 01:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Peter Jason

wrote:

On Mar 28, 2017, Peter Jason wrote
(in ):

I take time-lapse photos of people. Surreptitiously.

That sounds sneaky, creepy, and suspicious, and very voyeuristic.

Yes; isn't it wonderfull?

I am disguising the camera behind very thin translucent curtains,

Why?

Because the subjects act naturally with no camera in sight.

What exactly are your subjects engaged in that you have to be so sneaky?

They are sitting around sipping coffee and picking each other up.

That still sounds sneaky.
There are other ways to get that type of shot:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2w1jexn420wo36g/DSC_0568-Edit.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jqmr28hdwz8nfos/DSC_0573-Edit-3.jpg

Heavens! Were you lurking in the undergrowth?
Here's one of mine.....
https://postimg.org/image/ih6mhysdv/
from about 50m away. They're at it all weekend!

Old March 30th 17, 06:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
Bill W wrote:

On Thu, 30 Mar 2017 07:50:30 +1100, Peter Jason wrote:

A Olympus E5 with a 600mm telephoto. (2/3rds)

600 mm? Then why do you need to hide the camera?

The man is obviously working with some sort of surveillance...
--
teleportation kills