Firefox becoming increasingly unstable?

Old March 12th 17, 09:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Firefox becoming increasingly unstable?

On Sun, 12 Mar 2017 11:12:54 -0700, Savageduck

On 2017-03-12 18:04:13 +0000, "Mayayana" said:

"Savageduck" wrote

| It's just plain logistics. You like to think
| that Windows users are against you, but it's
| actually worse than that: Windows users don't
| notice and don't care. Macs are not part of their
| world.
|
| Strange. Ever since I retired Windows machines are not a part of my world.

That's fine if it works for you. Yet you harbor
a grudge.

Me harbor a "grudge"?
You are the one in this room slinging insults at Steve Jobs and Apple
users because of your particular bias. All I am doing is explaining my
choice of operating system without demeaning your choice. I have had to
use Windows systems at work, but my personal choice at home has been
Apple. It is your particular anti-Apple stance which provokes my
response.

I don't think he was slinging insults. He was just telling it like it
is.

Eric Stevens
Old March 12th 17, 09:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

For the first time ever, I ran into a business which used an all-Mac
computer system. It was an up-market cardiologist with up-market
designer premises.

you need to get out more.

go visit a design studio or an ad agency. you'll see ****loads of macs.
Old March 12th 17, 09:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

| It's just plain logistics. You like to think
| that Windows users are against you, but it's
| actually worse than that: Windows users don't
| notice and don't care. Macs are not part of their
| world.
|
| Strange. Ever since I retired Windows machines are not a part of my
| world.

That's fine if it works for you. Yet you harbor
a grudge.

Me harbor a "grudge"?
You are the one in this room slinging insults at Steve Jobs and Apple
users because of your particular bias. All I am doing is explaining my
choice of operating system without demeaning your choice. I have had to
use Windows systems at work, but my personal choice at home has been
Apple. It is your particular anti-Apple stance which provokes my
response.

I don't think he was slinging insults.

he was.

He was just telling it like it
is.

he wasn't.
Old March 12th 17, 09:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sun, 12 Mar 2017 14:42:10 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| It is your particular anti-Apple stance which provokes my
| response.

Read the posts. Android posted a bratty complaint
that any software not supporting Macs can't be called
good software.

he's right.

I pointed out that he's in a very small
minority and can't expect broad support for Macs.

he's not and he should.

nospam then jumped in with his steamed-up confusion,
absurdly claiming that Mac business usage is in the
90th percentile by twisting the facts and stating them
in a partial way.

nothing was twisted.

My comment that Safari is said to be a junky browser?
I've never tried it.

then you're not in a position to comment.

But I have heard it criticized repeatedly.

for apple products, you only hear criticisms.

Not quite right. *YOU* only hear criticisms, and then you light up.

plenty of people use safari and find it just fine. it's not perfect
(nothing is) but it's better than some of the other options, such as
opera, sea monkey and the new kid on the block, vivaldi, all of which
are multi-platform.

And I don't know of a single Windows user who uses
Safari.

that's because it doesn't exist on windows and hasn't for 5 years.

I wonder why that should be?

it's rather difficult to use a product that is no more.

--- snip ---

start with being objective.

Set an example.

Oh, I know ...

Eric Stevens
Old March 12th 17, 09:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"Eric Stevens" wrote

| For the first time ever, I ran into a business which used an all-Mac
| computer system. It was an up-market cardiologist with up-market
| designer premises.

Interesting. I've only ever seen graphic artists
using Macs. (Due to a long-outdated belief that
Macs have better displays.) I sometimes deal
with architects in my work and even they always
have Windows, as far as I've seen. Maybe the
CAD software doesn't run on Macs. I don't know.

I do have a brother who designs tests and has
to work with academics. He uses both in order
to accomodate a variety of people. He works on
Windows but has a Mac in case people send him
Mac files. I suspect that's where nospam got his
stats: A large number of corporations probably have
at least 1 Mac on premises, for some reason or
other.

Old March 12th 17, 09:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| For the first time ever, I ran into a business which used an all-Mac
| computer system. It was an up-market cardiologist with up-market
| designer premises.

Interesting. I've only ever seen graphic artists
using Macs. (Due to a long-outdated belief that
Macs have better displays.)

it's not outdated. it's actually more true now than ever before.

macbook pros and imacs have retina displays and now ship with wide
gamut dci-p3 displays.

iphones have retina displays and now have wide gamut displays too.

I sometimes deal
with architects in my work and even they always
have Windows, as far as I've seen. Maybe the
CAD software doesn't run on Macs. I don't know.

cad is mostly windows-centric. no big deal.

pick the best tool for the job. sometimes it's a mac, sometimes it's
not.

I do have a brother who designs tests and has
to work with academics. He uses both in order
to accomodate a variety of people. He works on
Windows but has a Mac in case people send him
Mac files.

there is no such thing as a 'mac file'.

does he work with special ed? because he sure isn't dealing with mit or
harvard level academics.

I suspect that's where nospam got his
stats: A large number of corporations probably have
at least 1 Mac on premises, for some reason or
other.

a *lot* more than that.
Old March 12th 17, 09:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

nospam then jumped in with his steamed-up confusion,
absurdly claiming that Mac business usage is in the
90th percentile by twisting the facts and stating them
in a partial way.

nothing was twisted.

My comment that Safari is said to be a junky browser?
I've never tried it.

then you're not in a position to comment.

But I have heard it criticized repeatedly.

for apple products, you only hear criticisms.

Not quite right. *YOU* only hear criticisms, and then you light up.

nope.

i light up when people spew ignorant bull****.

claiming that macs 'do not count for much' when his own numbers showed
5x growth, that one must 'target safari' with web design with special
coding, that safari is regarded as junky when he has never used it,
that safari is 'freely available to windows users' when it's been
discontinued for 5 years and that it's easy to write windows software
is complete bull****.

plenty of people use safari and find it just fine. it's not perfect
(nothing is) but it's better than some of the other options, such as
opera, sea monkey and the new kid on the block, vivaldi, all of which
are multi-platform.

And I don't know of a single Windows user who uses
Safari.

that's because it doesn't exist on windows and hasn't for 5 years.

I wonder why that should be?

the reason for safari on windows was for writing web apps for iphones
prior to the native iphone os sdk being released.

web apps did not turn out to be well received (no surprise there) and
there wasn't a good reason to maintain safari on windows, particularly
since it would have stunted its development on the mac.
Old March 12th 17, 11:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sun, 12 Mar 2017 17:17:59 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

For the first time ever, I ran into a business which used an all-Mac
computer system. It was an up-market cardiologist with up-market
designer premises.

you need to get out more.

go visit a design studio or an ad agency. you'll see ****loads of macs.

No suprise there but a different application.

Eric Stevens
Old March 12th 17, 11:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sun, 12 Mar 2017 17:42:56 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| For the first time ever, I ran into a business which used an all-Mac
| computer system. It was an up-market cardiologist with up-market
| designer premises.

Interesting. I've only ever seen graphic artists
using Macs. (Due to a long-outdated belief that
Macs have better displays.)

it's not outdated. it's actually more true now than ever before.

macbook pros and imacs have retina displays and now ship with wide
gamut dci-p3 displays.

iphones have retina displays and now have wide gamut displays too.

I sometimes deal
with architects in my work and even they always
have Windows, as far as I've seen. Maybe the
CAD software doesn't run on Macs. I don't know.

cad is mostly windows-centric. no big deal.

Heavy weight CAD is virtually all Unix based.

Old March 12th 17, 11:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

I sometimes deal
with architects in my work and even they always
have Windows, as far as I've seen. Maybe the
CAD software doesn't run on Macs. I don't know.

cad is mostly windows-centric. no big deal.

Heavy weight CAD is virtually all Unix based.

which means it'll run natively on a mac.