OT Ransomware for everybody and, yes, Mac users, that includes you.

Old March 11th 17, 04:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

Default OT Ransomware for everybody and, yes, Mac users, that includesyou.

On 3/10/2017 6:12 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Fri, 10 Mar 2017 15:58:20 -0500, nospam

Savageduck wrote:

http://semiengineering.com/the-evolv...omware-threat/

https://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/us/...ysis/threat-re
ports/roundup

The solution is simple; DON'T USE TORRENTS!

torrents isn't the only vector for ransomware or malware.

people get freaked out about ransomware for some reason, even though a
hard drive failure is more likely to occur or a user ****-up, such as
deleting the wrong document by mistake.

the proper solution is have up to date backups, which will cover *any*
disaster

if ransomware does hit, there's also a bit of a thrill in telling the
scumbags to **** off and that you won't be paying *anything*.

Why on earth would you contact the scumbags to tell them anything?

Now there's a classical example of a rhetorical question.

--
PeterN
Old March 11th 17, 05:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"Tony Cooper" wrote

| I've never been a victim, but wouldn't they have to contact you by a
| message on the screen? Why would anyone respond to that message? Why
| engage them?

You'd have to engage them to send a bitcoin
if you want your data back. Though there are
exceptions. Some ransomware has been cracked
while in other cases you won't get your data
even if you pay. As for insulting them, nospam
is just swaggering. I'd be surprised if there's even
a way to talk to the people, and they may not
even speak English. They're just setting as many
traps as possible and collecting the money when
people pay. Then they may or may not make an
de-encrypter available. They couldn't care less
what nospam thinks of their exploits. ...But maybe
he meant that he pays them to argue with him.
One bitcoin is a bargain for that.

Old March 11th 17, 05:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

people get freaked out about ransomware for some reason, even
though a hard drive failure is more likely to occur or a user
****-up, such as deleting the wrong document by mistake.

the proper solution is have up to date backups, which will cover
*any* disaster

if ransomware does hit, there's also a bit of a thrill in telling
the scumbags to **** off and that you won't be paying *anything*.

Why on earth would you contact the scumbags to tell them anything?

The entire idea of ransomware is that they contact you and ask for money to
unlock your data.

I've never been a victim, but wouldn't they have to contact you by a
message on the screen?

yes.

Why would anyone respond to that message? Why
engage them?

because they don't have a backup and have no choice.

those that do have backups don't need to pay anything, so they can tell
the scumbags to **** off, your little scam failed.
Old March 11th 17, 05:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| I've never been a victim, but wouldn't they have to contact you by a
| message on the screen? Why would anyone respond to that message? Why
| engage them?

You'd have to engage them to send a bitcoin
if you want your data back.

no need to send anything. all you need to do is reformat and restore
from a backup.

if you don't have a backup then you probably do need to send them
bitcoins (not just one), but then you're also at risk for all sorts of
problems, ones that are far more likely to occur than ransomware.
Old March 11th 17, 05:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , David B.
wrote:

complete non-issue for those with a good backup strategy, regardless of
platform.

I seem to recall reading that simply using Time Machine, which is
physically connected to my iMac, will be inadequate protection against a
ransomware attack.

Is that right?

no it's not, but if you want to be safer, put it on the network.
Old March 11th 17, 06:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2017-03-10 15:08, Eric Stevens wrote:
http://semiengineering.com/the-evolv...omware-threat/

https://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/us/...eports/roundup

This Mac user would be up and running in 30 minutes or less and fully
recovered in a couple hours.

But then, ****, I've only been using, programming, building, repairing,
maintaining and backing up computers for 40 years.

--
"If war is God's way of teaching Americans geography, then
recession is His way of teaching everyone a little economics."
Old March 11th 17, 06:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2017-03-10 15:14, nospam wrote:
In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

http://semiengineering.com/the-evolv...omware-threat/

https://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/us/...is/threat-repo
rts/roundup

complete non-issue for those with a good backup strategy, regardless of
platform.

+1

Old March 11th 17, 06:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2017-03-10 20:08:20 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

http://semiengineering.com/the-evolv...omware-threat/

https://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/us/...eports/roundup

The

solution is simple; DON'T USE TORRENTS!

Hell no. Use them for all sorts of things such as s/w distros (legal)
and getting back episodes of Grey's Anatomy for my SO that she missed
(not so legal).

Old March 11th 17, 06:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2017-03-10 15:58, nospam wrote:
Savageduck wrote:

http://semiengineering.com/the-evolv...omware-threat/

https://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/us/...ysis/threat-re
ports/roundup

The solution is simple; DON'T USE TORRENTS!

torrents isn't the only vector for ransomware or malware.

people get freaked out about ransomware for some reason, even though a
hard drive failure is more likely to occur or a user ****-up, such as
deleting the wrong document by mistake.

the proper solution is have up to date backups, which will cover *any*
disaster

Yep. Even in the somewhat unlikely case that the machine ends up
bricked, having one's data backed up in multiple copies, kept in
multiple locations and preferably by at least 2 methods is the insurance
one needs. Too few practice it.

Including far too many businesses.

if ransomware does hit, there's also a bit of a thrill in telling the
scumbags to **** off and that you won't be paying *anything*.

Best is no answer.

Old March 11th 17, 06:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

Savageduck wrote:

http://semiengineering.com/the-evolv...omware-threat/

https://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/us/...ysis/threat-re

ports/roundup

The solution is simple; DON'T USE TORRENTS!

torrents isn't the only vector for ransomware or malware.

people get freaked out about ransomware for some reason, even though a
hard drive failure is more likely to occur or a user ****-up, such as
deleting the wrong document by mistake.

the proper solution is have up to date backups, which will cover *any*
disaster

if ransomware does hit, there's also a bit of a thrill in telling the
scumbags to **** off and that you won't be paying *anything*.

Why on earth would you contact the scumbags to tell them anything?

Now there's a classical example of a rhetorical question.

Not really. There is a visceral thrill from ****ing with criminals.
Like the asshole pickpocket I ran after in Rome and forced him to return
the wallet to the lady he and his girlfriend had "bumped" and lifted.
Funny things are the pickpocket began yelling at me (really?) and
unfortunately the victim thought I was American. No good deed goes
unpunished.