Something positive about Photos.app

Old January 14th 16, 10:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

Default Something positive about Photos.app

So, it's no secret I loathe the new Photos app for OSX since it's so feature-
weak and slow to use.

But there is something that Photos does that no other photo management app
does, which I think is awesome. Cloud sync.

"Ah", I hear you say, "Lightroom does Cloud sync also!". Which is true, but
Lightroom cloud sync sucks big time. Lightroom cloud sync is an afterthought
patched on to an application that didn't have it from the start. Not so with
Photos, which was built from the ground up to be a cloud application.

So, what difference does it make?

Well, Lightroom has the "Lightroom mobile" function, which is their
implementation of what iPhoto/iOS earlier called Photostream. Basically, from
mobile it can upload all your photos to the cloud, which is then later
downloaded to Lightroom and any changes are synced between the devices via CC.

Problem is that you can't sync your entire photo library. Syncing is per
collection. And you can't sync smart collections. Furthermore, syncing from the
iPhone/iPad is done with the Lightroom app, which need to be started and
running to do so, it doesn't do it in the background seamlessly. Also, it only
syncs JPG, or at least I assume this is due to LR Mobile, but it might be due
to RAW files not actually being on the iPad/iPhone to begin with.

Photos on the other hand, manages this perfectly. Just tick the box to activate
iCloud Photos and my entire 40k+ photo library s whisked up into the cloud.
Every single photo available to me on my iOS devices at any point in time
(where I have internet).

Also, when on my laptop, Photos manages the restricted storage space with ease
even so, and Photos on OSX there becomes like Photos on iOS, where I can access
any photo I've ever taken at any point, but not all are stored on my small hard
drive.

It's pretty genius and really well done by Apple. It's a shame the application
is next to useless apart from this.

--
Sandman
Old January 14th 16, 05:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jan 14, 2016, Sandman wrote
(in ):

[...]

Not really, Abobe goes about things quite differently. The selected Lightroom
Collections are synced with LR Mobile and only Smart Previews are synced to
LR Mobile not JPEGs or RAW files.

Problem is that you can't sync your entire photo library. Syncing is per
collection. And you can't sync smart collections. Furthermore, syncing from
the
iPhone/iPad is done with the Lightroom app, which need to be started and
running to do so, it doesn't do it in the background seamlessly. Also, it

only
syncs JPG, or at least I assume this is due to LR Mobile, but it might be due
to RAW files not actually being on the iPad/iPhone to begin with.

All LR Mobile sees are links to Smart Previews. The only time RAW/JPEGs are
involved is if you have an LR Mobile collection on your mobile device
designated for “Auto Add” where images shot with the device are synced to
the desktop. This action will sync the full iOS/Android device image file to
your desktop LR andf maintain them in LR Collections.

Photos on the other hand, manages this perfectly. Just tick the box to
activate
iCloud Photos and my entire 40k+ photo library s whisked up into the cloud.
Every single photo available to me on my iOS devices at any point in time
(where I have internet).

40K+? WTF would you need access to your entire 40K+ library?
....and how much iCloud space does that eat up for you?

Also, when on my laptop, Photos manages the restricted storage space with

ease
even so, and Photos on OSX there becomes like Photos on iOS, where I can
access
any photo I've ever taken at any point, but not all are stored on my small
hard
drive.

It's pretty genius and really well done by Apple. It's a shame the

application
is next to useless apart from this.

What is a shame is Apple abandoning its role in advanced graphics processing
and management software, becoming a mere platform for developers producing
the workhorse apps available today.

Ultimately the point is, it is totally unnecessary to have access to every
shot you have ever taken at any given moment.

Savageduck

Old January 14th 16, 07:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article m, Savageduck
wrote:

Sandman:
[...]

Right... not sure how that differs from what I wrote above though?

Sandman:
Problem is that you can't sync your entire photo library. Syncing
is per collection. And you can't sync smart collections.
Furthermore, syncing from the iPhone/iPad is done with the
Lightroom app, which need to be started and running to do so, it
doesn't do it in the background seamlessly. Also, it only
syncs JPG, or at least I assume this is due to LR Mobile, but it
might be due to RAW files not actually being on the iPad/iPhone to
begin with.

All LR Mobile sees are links to Smart Previews.

Not "links" to Smart Previews - the smart previews are uploaded to the cloud
and that's what LR Mobile uses, and any edits to these smart previews are
applied to the original when synced.

But I was talking about photos that come from iOS and then to Lightroom via
Lightroom mobile.

I.e.:

iPhone camera - Lightroom Mobile - Cloud - Lightroom

= JPG, of obvious reasons

Camera RAW - Photos OSX - Cloud - Photos iOS - LR Mobile -
Cloud - Lightroom

= Also JPG, but unsure whether this is due to iOS Photos or LR Mobile.

The only time RAW/JPEGs are involved is if you have an LR Mobile
collection on your mobile device designated for ??Auto Add?
where images shot with the device are synced to the desktop. This
action will sync the full iOS/Android device image file to your
desktop LR andf maintain them in LR Collections.

Can't say anything about Android, but there are no RAW images from the iPhone
camera, all photos - whether they come from the smart phone camera or is
synced from your Lightroom library on your PC are JPG's.

Sandman:
Photos on the other hand, manages this perfectly. Just tick the
box to activate iCloud Photos and my entire 40k+ photo library s
whisked up into the cloud. Every single photo available to me on
my iOS devices at any point in time (where I have internet).

40K+? WTF would you need access to your entire 40K+ library?

The more important question is - why *shouldn't* I? The answer is quite
simple - a system that leaves manual picking and choosing what to keep in
sync is a good system. With iCloud, this is all seamless. If your photos are
in OS X Photos and you have iCloud Photos enabled, your entire photo library
is automatically backed up instantly, plus available on all your other
devices in its entirety.

...and how much iCloud space does that eat up for you?

Not sure where I can check that actually - but I have purchased additional
space.

Sandman:
Also, when on my laptop, Photos manages the restricted storage
space with ease even so, and Photos on OSX there becomes like
Photos on iOS, where I can access any photo I've ever taken at any
point, but not all are stored on my small hard drive.

It's pretty genius and really well done by Apple. It's a shame the
application is next to useless apart from this.

What is a shame is Apple abandoning its role in advanced graphics
processing and management software, becoming a mere platform for
developers producing the workhorse apps available today.

Ultimately the point is, it is totally unnecessary to have access to
every shot you have ever taken at any given moment.

Well, I obviously disagree. Just the other day someone wrote about my "Sweden
is beautiful" thread and I started to talk about other places in Sweden that
are beautiful, like Lysekil and Smgen, from which I have photos. But since
my mobile hard drive was at work at the time, I couldn't quickly fire up LR
to search for it. With Photos and iCloud, I can. At any point in time, from
anywhere in the world, I can access any photo I've ever taken if I used
iCloud. It's pretty awesome!

Now, if only Photos for OSX could become a worthy iPhoto successor, then I'd
be pretty happy with it.

--
Sandman
Old January 15th 16, 12:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 14 Jan 2016 14:24:56 -0800 (PST), RichA
wrote:

Corel's photo program was far weaker than Photoshop in-terms of overall capabilities, but it did have one major feature I loved. It had a dust removal feature than worked fantastically well without reducing resolution. Now, if only programs were modular, and inter-operable...

Corel's method of dealing with geometrical/perspective errors is
superior to anything else I have used other than DxO Viewpoint, which
uses an enhanced version of the same basic method. But Corel came up
with it first.

Eric Stevens