A Camera Q

Old August 18th 15, 04:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default A Camera Q

In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

To B or not to B

The B setting on cameras, you'd have thought that in this day and age the B
setting could be a toggle function as the only reason to use B is typicall
for exposures of longer duration than 15 or 30 seconds which appear a common
maximium.

bulb is not a toggle. time is a toggle, which most cameras (but not
all) do not have because it's trivial to have a remote 'hold the button
down' for you in bulb mode to give you a traditional time exposure
setting.

So B for long exposures of 30 so how can I hold this shutter release down
for say up to an hour or perhaps longer...

with a remote.

Why can't the B setting be updated to a toggle function..via firmware..or a
new function added, other than wanting to sell expensive remotes.......

because too few people want it and there may be limits to what a sensor
can do anyway.

I can trigger my EOS M3 with my ipad but why can't I have longer exposures
via the ipad it'd be relatively simple to program I'd have thought.
Just keep sending the open instruction to the camera for an amount of time
set on the ipad.

that's a function of the app, not the camera, as well as any
limitations of what control is made available to the app.
Old August 18th 15, 09:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

time is a toggle, which most cameras (but not
all) do not have because it's trivial to have a remote 'hold the button
down' for you in bulb mode to give you a traditional time exposure
setting.

Well I haven't check all the remotes so don;t know if tehy all do that,
but I know none of them work on the EOS M3

then check some more.

" Wi-Fi and NFC are built in, and you'll be able to control the EOS M3
remotely with a smart device using Canon's Camera Connect app."

that works too.

the app doesnt; do the T function and the B function you still have to hold
the 'button' down on the ipad, you'd have thought that could be easily built
in to but it isn't although I've just noticed a firmware update for my
camera.
I doubt it'll address myissue but.

Maybe I'll email canon.

ok

So B for long exposures of 30 so how can I hold this shutter release down
for say up to an hour or perhaps longer...

with a remote.

Again what/which remote ?

rc6

I woudn't mind spending 20 quid but £300 for teh hign end one which doesn;t
even work with my camera, as suggested I'd be better off with a pentax.

why would anyone pay for a remote that doesn't work with their camera?

Why can't the B setting be updated to a toggle function..via firmware..or
a new function added, other than wanting to sell expensive remotes.......

because too few people want it .

be interesting to find out just how few. I wonder why other cameras have it
if it's not really wanted, I bet few people want 30 secs or even 15 secs
either.

not many other cameras have it, and canon knows whether it's worth
their time or not (as do other companies).

and there may be limits to what a sensor
can do anyway.

what has the sensor got to do with it ?

because it's the part that is being exposed for long periods of time.

I can trigger my EOS M3 with my ipad but why can't I have longer exposures
via the ipad it'd be relatively simple to program I'd have thought.
Just keep sending the open instruction to the camera for an amount of time
set on the ipad.

that's a function of the app, not the camera, as well as any
limitations of what control is made available to the app.

some might refer to it as crippled.

some might refer to the photographers as being crippled.
Old August 19th 15, 01:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

Whisky-dave Wrote in message:
On Tuesday, 18 August 2015 21:46:02 UTC+1, nospam wrote:
In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

time is a toggle, which most cameras (but not
all) do not have because it's trivial to have a remote 'hold the button
down' for you in bulb mode to give you a traditional time exposure
setting.

Well I haven't check all the remotes so don;t know if tehy all do that,
but I know none of them work on the EOS M3

then check some more.

some more what ? It says in the manaul that if you want a remote control use the app. The M3 doesn;t have remote IR or a cable socket for a wired remote.

" Wi-Fi and NFC are built in, and you'll be able to control the EOS M3
remotely with a smart device using Canon's Camera Connect app."

that works too.

that's the way canon suggest yes.

So B for long exposures of 30 so how can I hold this shutter release down
for say up to an hour or perhaps longer...

with a remote.

Again what/which remote ?

rc6

you're a genius aren't you the EOS M3 doesn't have IR remote
capabilities, the RC6 does not work with wifi.

No hes not but neither are you! You did not mention that
exentricity of your camera in you original post!!!
;-p

I woudn't mind spending 20 quid but £300 for teh hign end one which doesn;t
even work with my camera, as suggested I'd be better off with a pentax.

why would anyone pay for a remote that doesn't work with their camera?

Well if some idiot recomend the RC6 only a bigger idiot would buy it if it didn't work, so again what remote were yoo recommending and why?

Why can't the B setting be updated to a toggle function..via firmware..or
a new function added, other than wanting to sell expensive remotes.......

because too few people want it .

be interesting to find out just how few. I wonder why other cameras have it
if it's not really wanted, I bet few people want 30 secs or even 15 secs
either.

not many other cameras have it,

not many cameras have NFC either.

and canon knows whether it's worth
their time or not (as do other companies).

I wonder what made them think NFC was needed, or why 30 seconds is needed.

and there may be limits to what a sensor
can do anyway.

what has the sensor got to do with it ?

because it's the part that is being exposed for long periods of time.

So ?
Is there anyhting wrong with the sensor being exposed for a 'long' time,
and what do you mean by exposed anyway.

that's a function of the app, not the camera, as well as any
limitations of what control is made available to the app.

some might refer to it as crippled.

some might refer to the photographers as being crippled.

And those that recommend an IR remote for a camera that doesn't have IR remote facility are they mentally crippled.

And thou shall not post drunk!
--
Bats can't tell us apart!

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Old August 19th 15, 02:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

Well I haven't check all the remotes so don;t know if tehy all do that,
but I know none of them work on the EOS M3

then check some more.

some more what ?

more remotes.

It says in the manaul that if you want a remote control use
the app. The M3 doesn;t have remote IR or a cable socket for a wired remote.

read the manual again.

" Wi-Fi and NFC are built in, and you'll be able to control the EOS M3
remotely with a smart device using Canon's Camera Connect app."

that works too.

that's the way canon suggest yes.

that's not the only way they suggest.

So B for long exposures of 30 so how can I hold this shutter release
down for say up to an hour or perhaps longer...

with a remote.

Again what/which remote ?

rc6

you're a genius aren't you the EOS M3 doesn't have IR remote
capabilities, the RC6 does not work with wifi.

check again.

I woudn't mind spending 20 quid but £300 for teh hign end one which
doesn;t even work with my camera, as suggested I'd be better off with
a pentax.

why would anyone pay for a remote that doesn't work with their camera?

Well if some idiot recomend the RC6 only a bigger idiot would buy it if it
didn't work, so again what remote were yoo recommending and why?

an even bigger idiot would think that it doesn't work.

Why can't the B setting be updated to a toggle function..via firmware..or
a new function added, other than wanting to sell expensive remotes.......

because too few people want it .

be interesting to find out just how few. I wonder why other cameras have
it if it's not really wanted, I bet few people want 30 secs or even 15 secs
either.

not many other cameras have it,

not many cameras have NFC either.

are you seriously comparing nfc with over 30 second exposures?

and canon knows whether it's worth
their time or not (as do other companies).

I wonder what made them think NFC was needed, or why 30 seconds is needed.

more people would use nfc than over 30 second exposures.

and there may be limits to what a sensor can do anyway.

what has the sensor got to do with it ?

because it's the part that is being exposed for long periods of time.

So ?
Is there anyhting wrong with the sensor being exposed for a 'long' time,
and what do you mean by exposed anyway.

seriously??

that's a function of the app, not the camera, as well as any
limitations of what control is made available to the app.

some might refer to it as crippled.

some might refer to the photographers as being crippled.

And those that recommend an IR remote for a camera that
doesn't have IR remote facility are they mentally crippled.

actually, they're pretty smart.
Old August 19th 15, 03:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

Again what/which remote ?

rc6

you're a genius aren't you the EOS M3 doesn't have IR remote
capabilities, the RC6 does not work with wifi.

check again.

have done and I get the same result the M has IR remote the M3 uses wifi.

read it one more time.

except on the canon site where it says the RC6 works up to 10 metres when you
press buy it changes to 5 metres, so it's not like mistakes aren;t possible
on a website is it.

the website is not wrong.

Well if some idiot recomend the RC6 only a bigger idiot would buy it if it
didn't work, so again what remote were yoo recommending and why?

an even bigger idiot would think that it doesn't work.

Yep so how will it work ?

magic.
Old August 19th 15, 03:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

Whisky-dave wrote:

[...]

what exentricity is that then, I didn't know when I bought it.

And those that recommend an IR remote for a camera that doesn't have IR remote facility are they mentally crippled.

And thou shall not post drunk!

thats' OK I shall forgive you this time but don't let it happen again.

For you drinking lunch? ;-p

FYFR: http://www.canon.co.uk/support/consu...ts/product_ran
ges/cameras/eos/error_codes/

--
Bats can't tell us apart!

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Old August 19th 15, 03:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

Whisky-dave Wrote in message:
On Wednesday, 19 August 2015 14:55:45 UTC+1, nospam wrote:

HTH: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/55514612

Well if some idiot recomend the RC6 only a bigger idiot would buy it if it
didn't work, so again what remote were yoo recommending and why?

an even bigger idiot would think that it doesn't work.

Yep so how will it work ?

Is there anyhting wrong with the sensor being exposed for a 'long' time,
and what do you mean by exposed anyway.

seriously??

yes seriously..... it happens on a lot of DLSRs.
If they didn't want the shutter to open for so long then why did they include the B setting ?

And those that recommend an IR remote for a camera that
doesn't have IR remote facility are they mentally crippled.

actually, they're pretty smart.

That remains to be seen.

--
Bats can't tell us apart!

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Old August 19th 15, 05:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

Again what/which remote ?

rc6

you're a genius aren't you the EOS M3 doesn't have IR remote
capabilities, the RC6 does not work with wifi.

check again.

have done and I get the same result the M has IR remote the M3 uses wifi.

read it one more time.

Yep seems it might work but only if you're in front of the camera which I
won't be.
http://www.canon.co.uk/for_home/prod...al_slr/eos_m3/

buy a mirror
Old August 19th 15, 05:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

Whisky-dave Wrote in message:
On Wednesday, 19 August 2015 15:22:51 UTC+1, nospam wrote:
In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

Again what/which remote ?

rc6

you're a genius aren't you the EOS M3 doesn't have IR remote
capabilities, the RC6 does not work with wifi.

check again.

have done and I get the same result the M has IR remote the M3 uses wifi.

read it one more time.

Yep seems it might work but only if you're in front of the camera which I won't be.

From what distance do you intend to operate your camera? If you
just want the bulb exposure then hold your hand with the remote
over it and trigger that like I described earlier...

http://www.canon.co.uk/for_home/prod...al_slr/eos_m3/

almost the bottom of the pages it claims

operate yuor camera without touching it from ma distance of 10m.
click on shop now and it says
https://store.canon.co.uk/canon-rc-6...trol/4524B001/
Shoot wirelessly over distances up to 5m - ideal for self portraits and group shots

except on the canon site where it says the RC6 works up to 10 metres when you
press buy it changes to 5 metres, so it's not like mistakes aren;t possible
on a website is it.

the website is not wrong.

which bit of the website is wrong. it can either be used for
up to 5m or operate it from a distance of 10m

A metre is about 39" yuo know it doesn't vary depending on product a metre is a metre as a rule ;-P got a metal one here to prove it.

magic.

5m or 10m of magic.

--
Bats can't tell us apart!

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Old April 8th 17, 04:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

Whisky-dave wrote:

Again what/which remote ?

rc6

you're a genius aren't you the EOS M3 doesn't have IR remote
capabilities, the RC6 does not work with wifi.

check again.

have done and I get the same result the M has IR remote the M3 uses wifi.

read it one more time.

Yep seems it might work but only if you're in front of the camera which I won't be.

From what distance do you intend to operate your camera?

There are two things I wish to use it for.

1/ daytime use :- setting the camera up for remote control, where the camera is setup on a 'flower' or area and I operate the camera from a distance.
This will be for taking pictures of insects/birds and the like remotely.
Ideally I'd like my camera in the garden and me in my 1st floor flat.

This can be done with the ipad as you can not only trigger the shutter but change the exposure set the focus point adjust both aperature and Time .
Change ISO and comp. it's what I call a remote control as aposed to a shutter realse cable. I found my 100ft air release in the loft last night you know the one with the air bulb at the end. The rubber like materail had persished the bulb partly collapased and the internal walls stuck together, so binned it.
I never thought of it as a remote control though, but an alternative shutter release that I used in the late 70s with my praktica L.
with the ipad you can even see what you're taking and transfer the file from the cameras SD card to the iPad.

2/ nighttime use. Mostly astro stuff. Again I'd like my camera in the garden and me in my 1st floor flat.
I'd like to try differnt exposures for star trails and just star scapes.
I think the maxium exposure for the scapes will be 2 mins, but for the trails hoping to be able to set it up at say 10pm and being open until it gets light
or there abouts so about 6 hours I'd think would be the max.

These are the things I always wanted to try when I first became interested in photogrphy as that was teh only reason I brought my first camera, I had NO interest in photgraphy at that time.

3/ set up animal 'traps' (photo wise)well I only get cats and foxes in my garden but it's getting a result and the process that's importent to me.

4/ build a tracking system so I can move my camera remotely too.

5/ have a setup where I can take a series of photos perhaps 4 a day for months
hopefully a whole year of the same subject area.
I dont really need a 'remote' in the normal sense of the word.
Just a camera that I can set up to expose a frame every 6 hours for the next 12 months without me having to do it manually. I've done this with a webcam over a persiod of a month but would like better quality images than I can get from a 640X480 webcam.
again idealy the remote camera could be set up for movement detection as another method of triggering the shutter.

If you
just want the bulb exposure then hold your hand with the remote
over it and trigger that like I described earlier...

Well I've got a small vice maybe that will hold the shutter open.
My plan was to trigger the shutter at ~10pm and release it at ~4am but I didn;t want to have to stay there with it in my hand or have to stay awake waiting for 4am to arrive.

http://www.canon.co.uk/for_home/prod...al_slr/eos_m3/

almost the bottom of the pages it claims

operate yuor camera without touching it from a distance of 10m.
click on shop now and it says
https://store.canon.co.uk/canon-rc-6...trol/4524B001/
Shoot wirelessly over distances up to 5m - ideal for self portraits and group shots

Not that the distance isn't that importent it just shows you can't always just the data/spec .
I still don't as yet consider this a remote control any more than I see
the car key fobs being a cars remote control, they can lock doors and activate the alarm but I don;t see them as remote controls.
If yuo buy a remote control car you CAN remotely control it.
I don't there's a production car on thwe market that has an actual remote control.

so for me a remote control and a remote shutter realse aren't the same thing.
So I've yet to find a remote control for my EOS M3 other than using an app on teh ipad which at least doesn;t most of what I'd expect a remote control to do which is to remotely control something.

Oki. Initially it seemed like you just wanted the bulb release.
The IR remote accomplishes that on my camera. You might be best
served by some custom WiFi app of some sort.
Please get back to the group if you can find one. My next EOS
might be able to take advantage of it...
--
teleportation kills

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/