Batteries

Old May 1st 14, 01:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray carter

Default Batteries

On Wed, 30 Apr 2014 14:15:46 -0700, A Moose in Love wrote:

Man. My camera Canon A2000 goes through AA batteries like a dull knife
goes through cheese. So yesterday, I purchased 4 rechargeable duracell
batteries with a charger. Now, the question is: will these batts hold
a charge longer than the other non rechargeable batts? I hope so.

Lithium non-rechargeables last a long time.
Old May 1st 14, 04:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mort[_3_]

ray carter wrote:
On Wed, 30 Apr 2014 14:15:46 -0700, A Moose in Love wrote:

Man. My camera Canon A2000 goes through AA batteries like a dull knife
goes through cheese. So yesterday, I purchased 4 rechargeable duracell
batteries with a charger. Now, the question is: will these batts hold
a charge longer than the other non rechargeable batts? I hope so.

Lithium non-rechargeables last a long time.

They are also very expensive.

I use Eneloop AA cells, which are rechargeable, and hold their charge
for a long time.

I carry an extra charged set with me.

Mort Linder
Old May 1st 14, 05:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mort
wrote:

Lithium non-rechargeables last a long time.

They are also very expensive.

for everyday use maybe, but they're great for keeping a set in the bag
in case you need another set. the shelf life is 10+ years.
Old May 2nd 14, 03:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

:
: Man. My camera Canon A2000 goes through AA batteries like a dull knife
: goes through cheese. So yesterday, I purchased 4 rechargeable duracell
: batteries with a charger. Now, the question is: will these batts hold
: a charge longer than the other non rechargeable batts? I hope so.
:
: Lithium non-rechargeables last a long time.
:
:
: They are also very expensive.
:
: I use Eneloop AA cells, which are rechargeable, and hold their charge
: for a long time.
:
: I carry an extra charged set with me.

I bought some Emeloops recently, as part of an effort to upgrade my equipment
a bit. My observation so far is that they don't hold their charge any better
than the "Enercells" that Radio sheck sells these days. However, they do seem
to charge cooler, which may make them last longer.

Bob
Old May 2nd 14, 03:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

On Thu, 01 May 2014 00:33:54 -0400, nospam wrote:
: In article , Mort
: wrote:
:
: Lithium non-rechargeables last a long time.
:
: They are also very expensive.
:
: for everyday use maybe, but they're great for keeping a set in the bag
: in case you need another set. the shelf life is 10+ years.

I don't doubt that you're right, but I'm not sure the point is relevant. If
you don't have enough batteries to cover the shoots you're going to do, you
should probably buy more rechargeables. If you get caught short through poor
planning or equipment failure, then yes, rush to the nearest store and buy
non-rechargeables (since rechargeables are rarely sold with a usable level of
charge). But don't buy them just to carry around in your bag for ten years.

Bob
Old May 2nd 14, 05:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Robert Coe
wrote:

: Lithium non-rechargeables last a long time.
:
: They are also very expensive.
:
: for everyday use maybe, but they're great for keeping a set in the bag
: in case you need another set. the shelf life is 10+ years.

I don't doubt that you're right, but I'm not sure the point is relevant. If
you don't have enough batteries to cover the shoots you're going to do, you
should probably buy more rechargeables. If you get caught short through poor
planning or equipment failure, then yes, rush to the nearest store and buy
non-rechargeables (since rechargeables are rarely sold with a usable level of
charge). But don't buy them just to carry around in your bag for ten years.

obviously you should plan ahead and bring enough sets for a session
(plus a little extra just in case), but **** happens. having a set of
lithiums in the bag covers that situation for 10+ years, whereas
alkaline won't last anywhere near that long.
Old May 2nd 14, 04:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

: ray carter wrote:
[...]

I don't know how good Enercells are (I have some older Radio Scrap
NiMH's that are still going well).

But recently I took out a flash that had Eneloops in it that hadn't been
fired in months and went on to shoot about 50 frames w/o any flash
issues (it could have gone on for a while after that too). With typical
NiMH's the same case I wouldn't have lasted 10 shots.

--
"Big data can reduce anything to a single number,
but you shouldn’t be fooled by the appearance of exactitude."

Old May 3rd 14, 02:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

: : ray carter wrote:
: : On Wed, 30 Apr 2014 14:15:46 -0700, A Moose in Love wrote:
: :
[...]

My indoor photo shoots generally run around 200 to 400 frames, so I try not to
let myself get into a position where I'm using batteries that aren't fully
charged. Reliability and overall battery life are the factors most important
to me. Last summer I had a speedlight fail to fire at the family portrait
session before the City Manager's inauguration. (I had charged all the
batteries the day before.) I dropped more than $1000 on new equipment after
that fiasco.

Bob
Old May 3rd 14, 03:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mort[_3_]

Robert Coe wrote:
since rechargeables are rarely sold with a usable level of
charge).

Hi

Eneloop batteries are indeed sold fully charged,and they hold their
charge for several years of "shelf life".

Mort Linder
Old May 3rd 14, 03:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

wrote:

: But recently I took out a flash that had Eneloops in it that hadn't been
: fired in months and went on to shoot about 50 frames w/o any flash
: issues (it could have gone on for a while after that too). With typical
: NiMH's the same case I wouldn't have lasted 10 shots.

My indoor photo shoots generally run around 200 to 400 frames, so I try not to
let myself get into a position where I'm using batteries that aren't fully
charged. Reliability and overall battery life are the factors most important
to me. Last summer I had a speedlight fail to fire at the family portrait
session before the City Manager's inauguration. (I had charged all the
batteries the day before.) I dropped more than $1000 on new equipment after
that fiasco.

I haven't been using my attachment flash much - I prefer studio lighting
(even if I have to lug the SOB's with me). But for that event the
Eneloops kept their promise. When I depend on attachment for something
I carry 3 charged sets of NiMH. I've rarely had to dip to the third
set. (And also carry a pack of alkalines).