Another sign of the apocalypse

Old June 2nd 13, 03:11 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Another sign of the apocalypse

In article , PeterN
wrote:

I'm looking forward to seeing how their new video emphasis plays out in
print. Will it be of those arrangements where you riffle the edges of a stack of
pages, and the pictures thereon appear to move?

print is on its way out. people get their news online now for free,
including both stills and video.

it's also very difficult to monetize online news, although some do try
with varying success.

i PAY for my digital online subscriptions, at least the ones I read
regularly. So do most of my friends. We have an old fashioned philosophy
that if you use something, you ought to pay for it.

do you send money to every single web site you visit?

didn't think so.
Old June 2nd 13, 03:37 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_3_]

On 6/1/2013 10:11 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

I'm looking forward to seeing how their new video emphasis plays out in
print. Will it be of those arrangements where you riffle the edges of a stack of
pages, and the pictures thereon appear to move?

print is on its way out. people get their news online now for free,
including both stills and video.

it's also very difficult to monetize online news, although some do try
with varying success.

i PAY for my digital online subscriptions, at least the ones I read
regularly. So do most of my friends. We have an old fashioned philosophy
that if you use something, you ought to pay for it.

do you send money to every single web site you visit?

didn't think so.

You gave me a lot of time time to answer. However, your "question" is
not on point. The discussion was about information reporting bt
newspapers, and the change to digital content, a lot of which is free.
A lot isn't free, except on a trial basis.
--
PeterN
Old June 2nd 13, 04:24 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

I'm looking forward to seeing how their new video emphasis plays out in
print. Will it be of those arrangements where you riffle the edges of a
stack of pages, and the pictures thereon appear to move?

print is on its way out. people get their news online now for free,
including both stills and video.

it's also very difficult to monetize online news, although some do try
with varying success.

i PAY for my digital online subscriptions, at least the ones I read
regularly. So do most of my friends. We have an old fashioned philosophy
that if you use something, you ought to pay for it.

do you send money to every single web site you visit?

didn't think so.

You gave me a lot of time time to answer.

i knew the answer. you don't pay for every site you visit, because it's
not possible to pay for every site you visit.

However, your "question" is
not on point.

it was exactly on point to your (irrelevant) comment.

The discussion was about information reporting bt
newspapers, and the change to digital content, a lot of which is free.
A lot isn't free, except on a trial basis.

some digital content is free and some is not. so what. some newspapers
are free and some are not. some tv & radio is free and some is not.

anyway, the original point was that printed newspapers are going away
and being replaced by digital. unfortunately for the newspapers, they
are having a bitch of a time making money with the digital versions.
some are trying paid subscriptions with varying success, but it's tough
to compete with the other news sites that don't charge anything.
Old June 2nd 13, 04:35 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_3_]

On 6/1/2013 11:24 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

[...]

let's see;
You said "...people get their news online now for free,
including both stills and video"
I responded to that point and you tried to worm out of it by raising an
irrelevant question.

Rant to further worm out snipped.

--
PeterN
Old June 2nd 13, 04:48 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

[...]

they do. there is absolutely nothing incorrect about that.

and that was in response to a silly comment that videos can't be
printed unless they're in a flipbook format. people watch the videos
online, because that's where the industry is going.

I responded to that point and you tried to worm out of it by raising an
irrelevant question.

i'm not worming anything. you're the one who tried to spin it into
something it wasn't because you like to argue, that being that you're
doing the right thing by paying for any content you consume online,
suggesting that anyone who consumes content for free is somehow ripping
off the provider of the info. that's just bull****. there are many
legitimate sources of free content, both online and not. you have once
again been proven wrong.

and the fact remains that newspapers are hurting because it's very
difficult to monetize online content. people expect websites to be
free. that's just how it is.
Old June 2nd 13, 02:28 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2013.06.01 21:27 , PeterN wrote:
On 6/1/2013 7:23 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , Robert Coe
wrote:

:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/05...es-lays-off-ph...
:
: Short sighted, and stupid.
:
: buying "pro" equipment in the hope of looking like one? Indeed...

Is that what they're telling their "freelancers" to do? I looked for
it in the
DPR article, but didn't find it.

I'm looking forward to seeing how their new video emphasis plays out
in print.
Will it be of those arrangements where you riffle the edges of a
stack of
pages, and the pictures thereon appear to move?

print is on its way out. people get their news online now for free,
including both stills and video.

it's also very difficult to monetize online news, although some do try
with varying success.

i PAY for my digital online subscriptions, at least the ones I read
regularly. So do most of my friends. We have an old fashioned philosophy
that if you use something, you ought to pay for it.

Laudable, old fashioned, naïve.

Newspaper subscriptions pay for the paper and delivery. Content is paid
by advertising.

I'd happily pay for the NYT. However the amount they want per month is
way out of line with what they are providing. So I confess that I break
their paywall after the "first 10 free articles per month" run out. It
is trivial (if annoying) to do - and I suspect they want it that way
or they would set up a true paywall such as that at the WSJ.

They probably will one day soon.

And the day that I can't break the NYT paywall is the day I stop reading it.

What I *would* happily pay for is a newspass that gives me access to
many newspapers.

--
"A Canadian is someone who knows how to have sex in a canoe."
-Pierre Berton

Old June 2nd 13, 04:46 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2013.06.02 10:33 , Mark F wrote:

Also:
My experience so far has been that most videos have less information
and take longer to process than a poorly written story, and would
do so even if the sites included support for speeded up playback,
so text is still required.

I despise news on video that could be described with 1 or 2 photos and a
well written story. Or just the story.

What's really horrible are all these amateur "How to" videos you find on
YouTube. With rare exceptions they are badly planned, badly filmed,
badly narrated and badly edited.

Old June 2nd 13, 06:30 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , Alan Browne
says...
Newspaper subscriptions pay for the paper and delivery. Content is paid
by advertising.

Do you have anything to back this up? It seems quite a broad statement.
Might hold for some newspapers, but not for other newspapers.
--

Alfred Molon
Old June 2nd 13, 07:17 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

On Sun, 02 Jun 2013 09:28:06 -0400, Alan Browne
wrote:
:
: What I *would* happily pay for is a newspass that gives me access to
: many newspapers.

That's an interesting idea that I've never heard proposed before.

The way the Boston Globe handles it is that their site, which includes an
image of the paper and some other stuff, requires an account with username and
password to get in. But if you're a subscriber to the print version, the
account is free.

Bob
Old June 2nd 13, 07:18 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2013.06.02 13:30 , Alfred Molon wrote:
In article , Alan Browne
says...
Newspaper subscriptions pay for the paper and delivery. Content is paid
by advertising.

Do you have anything to back this up? It seems quite a broad statement.
Might hold for some newspapers, but not for other newspapers.

It is a generalization to be sure. But when you get down to it, the
delivered price of print newspapers is very low. IMO would only account
for physical production and transport.

Advertising pays. But in this era of many, many webpages offering an
advertising opportunity, newspapers earn less per advert on their own
web pages.

Because of that, perhaps, quality news deserves a consumer revenue
stream. But it should discount the fact that the consumer is already
paying for delivery (internet access) and presentation (computer/display).

I just looked and the NYT electronic most basic subscription is now $15
per month ($20 for tablet access). (I assumed it was $35 but that
covers other things such as archive access which is more than I would need).

At $15 it's bordering on acceptable. I wouldn't question $10.

But again I would rather pay a single fee to a subscription aggregator
and have access to many papers. For that (and quality large markets)
I'd happily pay about $50 / month for a good selection of papers
(Canadian, US, Brit, French).