Photowalk

Old October 15th 12, 01:26 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Helen[_2_]

Default Photowalk

On Oct 14, 8:15*pm, Bowser wrote:
On Sun, 14 Oct 2012 12:17:50 -0700 (PDT), Helen

wrote:
On Oct 14, 2:22 pm, Bowser wrote:
Well, the photowalk was worth it. The weather cooperated and the light
was pretty nice. There were 45 of us in Marblehead, MA (USA) who
prowled around the town getting strange looks from lots of "normal"
people. 45 camera geeks are hard to ignore. What sort of surprised me
was the conversation. There were all manner of gear on display from
P&S to heavy iron, but I didn't hear a single conversation about gear.
It was all about locations, light, and non-photo stuff. At the
Hurricane bar and grill we talked about almost nothing related to
gear, aside from the usual curiosity questions. If you missed it this
year, sign up next year. It's a good take.

And yes, I did send three shots in to the SI Dictator/Committee that
were taken yesterday. I traveled light and took only the GX1 and three
lenses: the 14-140, 7-14, and 8mm fisheye. That kit worked really
well.

The end result, how do you compare the Micro Four Thirds to your Canon
DSLR?

for 99% of what I shoot, no real difference. However, the IQ is not
quite as good as the 5D2. The noise is a little higher, and the
highlights can clip if you don't watch exposure. that said, I carry
the GX1 most of the time now. The light three lens kit is just a joy
to use. Unless you make huge enlargments you'll probably never see the
difference in prints.

What strikes me about the GX1 is the usability. The controls are
accessible and simple. You can get to most of the key features with a
single button push. The lenses are really nice, especially that 7-14.
The AF is contract detect, so it's always dead-on and it's very fast
in single shot mode, faster than the 5D2. Continous AF is not, and
this isn't a sports camera in any way, shape, or form.

My left shoulder thanks me every time I leave the anchor at home...

Thanks Bowser! Glad you're enjoying it. Don't you miss the
viewfinder?
Old October 15th 12, 12:52 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bowser

wrote:
On Oct 14, 2:22 pm, Bowser wrote:
[...]

Yes and no. I use the EVF that attaches via the hot shoe. It's not as
good as a "real" viewfinder, but it's not bad.
Old October 15th 12, 02:04 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Helen[_2_]

wrote:
On Oct 14, 2:22 pm, Bowser wrote:
[...]

Thanks so much Bowser. A friend at work asked me to help her decide
on a camera. I suggested a DSLR but she didn't want the bulk...OTOH
she likes the viewfinder and interchangeable lenses.
Old October 15th 12, 09:57 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

On 2012.10.14 20:43 , tony cooper wrote:
On Sun, 14 Oct 2012 17:39:18 -0400, Alan Browne
wrote:

On 2012.10.14 15:23 , tony cooper wrote:

There wasn't a Photo Walk anywhere near me, so I did a Solo Walk in
Sanford, Florida.

http://worldwidephotowalk.com/walk/s...re-at-us-flag/
or http://tinyurl.com/9zemk2x

It had 40 openings (of 50) left.

If you were early enough you may have bumped into a few of them.

Hmmm. I searched under "Orlando Photowalk". If you don't know the
area, you might not understand. I live in a suburb (not in Orlando)
on the north side of Orlando. Sanford is a separate town about ten
miles north. Usually, when you search for Orlando events, events in
Sanford are included. Not this time.

The strange thing is that I subscribe to Charles Howse's website. I
haven't checked it for a while. Charles is the guy behind the Orlando
Digital Photography Group. The have "meet-ups" for photographers.

I did see a group meeting out near Epcot, but that's over an hour away
from me and in the dreaded tourist area.

In the photowalk pages there is a map feature. If you had used that you
would have seen the several Orlando area walks including Sanford.

Maybe he announced late as well ... (?)

--
"There were, unfortunately, no great principles on which parties
were divided – politics became a mere struggle for office."

Old October 16th 12, 03:25 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Stuffed Crust[_2_]

tony cooper wrote:
There wasn't a Photo Walk anywhere near me, so I did a Solo Walk in
Sanford, Florida. Just so happened that there was a huge biker event
in downtown Sanford, so I got my three...and then some. I shot what I
saw, so my submissions to the SI might be a bit different.

I was out in the woods with a bunch of hippies this weekend, so I didn't
participate in any photowalk. That said, I did a lot of walking around
taking photos. Quite a few of them. But I probably won't have any
selections ready for submission until it's way, way too late.

Oh, well...

- Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet dot org
Melbourne, FL ^^ (mail/jabber/gtalk) ^^
Old October 16th 12, 03:44 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Robert Coe

On Sun, 14 Oct 2012 20:11:10 -0400, Bowser wrote:
: On Sun, 14 Oct 2012 15:15:22 -0400, Robert Coe wrote:
:
: On Sun, 14 Oct 2012 14:22:44 -0400, Bowser wrote:
: : Well, the photowalk was worth it. The weather cooperated and the light
: : was pretty nice. There were 45 of us in Marblehead, MA (USA) who
: : prowled around the town getting strange looks from lots of "normal"
: : people. 45 camera geeks are hard to ignore. What sort of surprised me
: : was the conversation. There were all manner of gear on display from
: : P&S to heavy iron, but I didn't hear a single conversation about gear.
: : It was all about locations, light, and non-photo stuff. At the
: : Hurricane bar and grill we talked about almost nothing related to
: : gear, aside from the usual curiosity questions. If you missed it this
: : year, sign up next year. It's a good take.
: :
: : And yes, I did send three shots in to the SI Dictator/Committee that
: : were taken yesterday. I traveled light and took only the GX1 and three
: : lenses: the 14-140, 7-14, and 8mm fisheye. That kit worked really
: : well.
:
: I'm glad to hear it! In the end, alas, I didn't go. (An opportunity missed,
: since the weather couldn't have been better.) The conflicting activity that
: was going to keep me away got postponed, but I was so exhausted after an
: unusually grueling week that I couldn't face getting up early and going back
: into town on Saturday.
:
: Also, I started to wonder about wandering through downtown in a crowd. Most of
: the good results I've had in urban environments have come from being able to
: poke around alone at my own pace, with no one else to speed me up or slow me
: down. In fact, one thought I had was, "Maybe I should have gone out to
: Marblehead with that group that Bowser chose!" But with 45 participants
: already, you surely didn't need any more.
:
: There was room. Definitely a worthwhile thing, but here's the deal: we
: dont' need to wait a year. If you ever want to do a walk around
: anyplace in eastern MA, let me know and I'm game.
:
: And yes, face to face beats the living hell out of this method of
: conversing.

Works for me. Do you ever get down to Cambridge? There are some fairly scenic
walks the Fresh Pond, Mount Auburn Cemetery, Harvard Square, North Point
Park (possibly the only ground-level location from which to photograph the
Zakim Bridge), etc. Cambridge has an extra benefit for me, since any picture I
take in the city can potentially be used on our Web site. ;^)

North Point is particularly nice when the foliage is at peak, and supposedly
so is Mt Auburn, although I haven't been there this time of year.

Let me know if you want to try to work something out. My email address is
real, and my work address (also real) is . (I've unearthed
a couple of email addresses for you, but I don't know that either is current.)

Bob

Old October 16th 12, 10:57 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

On 2012.10.16 00:47 , tony cooper wrote:

Earlier this evening, at a camera club meeting, I talked to one of the
people on that Sanford photo walk. He said there were 12 or so people
signed up who came, and a couple of people who just joined in.
Several had compact cameras.

He was rather disappointed. The group never left the meeting area.
The group met at a small park about 20 yards wide by 100 yards deep
that juts out into Lake Monroe. They took some sunset pictures over
the lake, and a few of the nearby marina. Several of the group were
experimenting with "painting with light" using glow sticks and small
flashlights.

He left and did a solo walk down to the larger area where the
Bikerfest was going on. He said he'd never go to another late
afternoon/early evening Photo Walk again unless it was specifically
about low light photography.

Sounds like I didn't miss anything.

Sounds like that.

From what I gather of other photowalks, including mine and elsewhere,
the "walk leaders" were more oriented to "getting the feet out and under
the glass" and then encouraging people to explore the area.

I only saw our organizer at the start and crossed her path once near the
end. I didn't attend the beer/lunch as I had other errands to do.

Old October 17th 12, 01:42 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Robert Coe

On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 12:54:30 -0400, Bowser wrote:
[...]
: : :
[...]

Today Bowser and I have tentatively set up an ad hoc photo walk in Cambridge
for October 27 (rain date: October 28). Does anyone else within commuting
distance want to join us? (I've already written to one newsgroup participant
who I think lives in the Boston area.) If so, please contact me at
.

Bob
Old October 30th 12, 01:28 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
Robert Coe

[...]
: I think what I looked forward to most was the conversation, since I seldom
: get to talk in person with photographers who are better than I am. Location
: and light sound like the right topics to me. I really will try to go next
: year.
:
: Bob

And indeed, Bowser and I did go on our own unofficial photowalk on Saturday,
beating the hurricane by a day or two. In about 2½ hours we walked four or
five miles through various parts of Cambridge and Boston, some well known and
some pretty obscure, but all of them interesting. It wouldn't surprise me if
some of the pictures we took show up in our responses to the "Curves" mandate.
;^)

Bob