New Replacement Lamps Available for Aristo Cold Light Heads

Old December 21st 10, 10:07 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Richard Knoppow

Default New Replacement Lamps Available for Aristo Cold Light Heads

wrote in message
(Posted here for those who may not visit the
rec.photo.darkroom group
very frequently.)

Due to continuing market demand, the company that acquired
the now
defunct Aristo Grid Lamp Products has made a decision to
reintroduce
replacement fluorescent lamp grids for a number of the
long
discontinued Aristo cold light enlarger heads. Voltarc,
Inc. recently
completed an initial re-engineering of the lamp for the
D2-HI V54 cold
light head, and produced a new manufacturing run of this
product.

Sales from this initial effort were sufficient to convince
Voltarc to
proceed with a re-engineering of lamp grids for the Aristo
VCL4500
(4x5) and VCL8100 (8x10) variable contrast heads. These
are the dual-
lamp, green and blue grids. Only the lamps themselves are
being
reintroduced. No other newly manufactured replacements
parts for any
Aristo cold light head assemblies are being offered.

Voltarc is now accepting names on an interest list for the
anticipated
reintroduction of the above two VCL replacement lamps.
The
announcement is expected to be made near the end of
January 2011,
providing no unforseen obstacles are encountered. Pricing
has not yet
been determined, but is expected to be in the ballpark of
the final
published Aristo price for these replacement lamps.

If you are interested in getting on the interest list to
be notified
when these lamps become available, you can do so by
sending an email
to Louise Kessler of Voltarc, Inc. at:

Adding your name to this list does not obligate you to
purchase
anything. It is for notification purposes only. If you
are
interested in purchasing one of the new D2-HI V54 lamps
you can also
do that with a email to Louise at the same address. If
sales continue
to justify it, Voltarc has indicated its willingness to
continue
reintroducing additional grid lamp models for other Aristo
heads in
the future.

For more information, please also see the following thread
on the
Analog Photography Users Group (APUG) Darkroom Equipment
forum:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/8...an-2011-a.html

For the record, I have no business or financial stake in
Aristo/
Voltarc. Only a desire to see them continue to reintroduce
these
replacement lamps for the users of the now discontinued
light
sources. I think this is good thing for the future of
analog
photography in general as it continues its transition into
a niche
market. And it's a great opportunity for those of us who
continue to
use the original Aristo cold light head units.

Ken

Thanks for posting this. I am sure there are a lot of
Aristo lamps still in use.

Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA

Old December 23rd 10, 07:39 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Richard Knoppow

wrote in message
On Dec 21, 1:07 pm, "Richard Knoppow"
wrote:

Thanks for posting this. I am sure there are a lot of
Aristo lamps still in use.

Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA

Although I moved on from the newsgroups quite a while ago to
escape
the generally abusive behavior, your posts have always been
extremely
useful to me. I would be remiss if I did not offer a note
of thanks
for your generosity and willingness to help.

Please feel free to forward this information to any other
forums you -
or anyone else reading this - may feel are appropriate.
While my own
needs will be met with a new production run of VCL4500
replacement
lamps, I would like to continue spreading the word regarding
these
lamp reintroductions by Voltarc. As I said before, they
seem willing
to expand the lamp models offered if there is sufficient
interest.
And I know of a number of darkroom printers who would love
to get
replacements for their 12x12 lamp grids, as well as other
less popular
configurations. Louise has stated that Voltarc created a
list of the
twenty most popular lamp models from which they are working.
If at
all possible I would prefer that users further down that
list not be
left out in the cold.

Ken
Thank you Ken and Stephy for the compliments, I really
do appreciate them. Aristo was around for a long time and
made some lamps for some unusual enlargers like the big
Saltzman jobs that made them practical. They also made lamps
usable for building enlarging adaptors for view cameras. I
am glad someone picked up this niche product, which IMO is
still very useful. The market for traditional (i.e, film
based) photograpy has shrunk to a fraction of its original
size but there seems to be a stable remaining market made up
of those dinosaures like myself who enjoy using film and the
challenges it presents.

Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA