Inexpensive ($30?) dash cam USB battery powered microSD up to 64GB

Old April 24th 14, 02:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,ca.driving,rec.autos.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Default Inexpensive ($30?) dash cam USB battery powered microSD up to 64GB

Per (PeteCresswell):
...that you want to record and view later?

Some cams allow reviewing of clips via the cam, but my
take is that, for practical purposes, you need to pull
the SD card and plug it into a laptop or tablet to
get any meaningful functionality.

If something has just happened and you want to show
somebody - like a cop - the clip of the event, lots
of luck. I've never put a timer on it, but popping
out the SD card, inserting into another device, firing
up the other device, and then bringing up the clip has
got to take at least five minutes..... maybe more depending
on how shaken up one is. And that's assuming that
you even *have* said other device.

To me it's more like "Get home, swap out the card, sit
down at one's PC and then spend a half-hour or so isolating
the critical footage, transcoding it to a smaller file, and
then burning said file to media of choice or uploading
it to YouTube or Vimeo.
--
Pete Cresswell
Old April 24th 14, 07:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,ca.driving,rec.autos.tech
Brent

On 2014-04-24, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Wed, 23 Apr 2014 23:59:02 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

Check out some of TechMoan's reviews on YouTube.
He has a couple of favorites among cheap cams and some of them are way
small.

I have one of these http://tinyurl.com/jwlho7a and it's been pretty
good.

Just out of curiosity...why?

What you're capturing is the road in front of you, right? What
happens there that you want to record and view later?

there are many reasons for dashcams, including documenting what really
happened in a collision. that can backfire if you did something wrong,
but on the other hand, it can also mean winning. some dashcams have
motion sensors and can trigger if someone tries to steal or vandalize
your car. another use is for road trips, which are generally played
back at super-speed.

People ask my why I'm taking a photograph of this or that, and I don't
have to have a good answer beyond "because I want to", but I am
curious if that's your answer or there's something I'm missing.

why does it even matter?

I'm not interested in why you think one is worth having. I'm not
interested in whether or not you think it matters. I don't need to
justify to you why it matters.

I'm curious about what Ahmed and Pete think and what has motivated
them.

You are quite welcome to jump into any thread in the newsgroup, but
your "why does it even matter?" comment indicates that your primary
interest is just to stir things up.

Raging cops and insurance disputes. My reason for running a camera is
the former.

Old April 25th 14, 01:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,ca.driving,rec.autos.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per (PeteCresswell):
Check out some of TechMoan's reviews on YouTube.
He has a couple of favorites among cheap cams and some of them are way
small.

"Mobius" is one that he really likes - and he says that many people are
using it as a dashcam.

http://dashcamtalk.com/mobius

http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2014/2/...-my-ideal.html
--