DIY stabilizer

Old April 23rd 14, 11:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default DIY stabilizer

On 2014-04-23 21:07:01 +0000, Oregonian Haruspex

On 2014-04-23 02:33:27 +0000, Oregonian Haruspex
On 2014-04-22 23:27:33 +0000, Oregonian Haruspex
On 2014-03-30 22:18:43 +0000, RichA said:
On Sunday, March 30, 2014 3:54:33 PM UTC-4, Sandman wrote:
Will make you look pretty stupid, but a pretty nifty solution for
stabilizing your camera.

http://petapixel.com/2014/03/30/smal...etaphorically/

Might

be applicable to rifles too. If it works.

This is the purpose of the rifle sling. There are engravings in old
books on military tactics that show riflemen "slung up" from several
hundred years ago.

Yup! Addressed further back in this thread, and more likely used within
the last 120 years with the advent of the bolt action rifle rather than
several hundred years ago, and still used today even in Olympic prone &
kneeling target shooting.

I have often used my camera strap in a similar way.

All you have to do is develop a technique which works for you.

German 'freeshooters' used the sling hundreds of years ago, as shown in
medieval German fechtbuchen.

That is interesting as the "fechtbuchen" seem to deal mainly with
bladed weapons, maces, battle axes, and dueling techniques rather than
firearms. I would be interested to see the illustrations of which you
speak since i don't know of too many medieval firearms which were
fitted with slings, or which had an appreciable degree of accuracy over
the crossbow or longbow.

So perhaps you could post a few examples of any of these "Freischütz"
using a sling as a brace.

There were hand cannons, the arquebus, and matchlock. The wheel-lock
came along some time later. All three of those weapons were usually
supported by, and fired with the use of a fork support, not a sling.

The flintlock emerged in the 17th century to reach its pinnacle in the
late 18th & early 19th century with the development of rifled
flintlocks. The first slings started to appear in the 18th Century
with arrival of the British "Brown Bess" and even then it was not used
as a bracing or support device, or even described as such in the
British manual of arms. I am sure that there were earlier slings, but I
doubt that with the loading procedures of 17th & 18th century muskets
that they were much more than carrying devices.

Then the percussion cap was developed and everything changed again.
When the rifled percussion weapons with accuracy over greater than
typical 18th & 19th century engagement ranges came into general use,
there were certainly marksmen who looked for every advantage when using
their weapons, and using the sling as an improvised brace was one.

I received extensive training in the use of a sling in youth
marksmanship programs and in the military, and using a sling with a
rifle has long been second nature to me. I also have an interest in
firearm history which for me dates back almost 60 years.

I will look through my collection of fechtbuchen here soon. I have
many in PDF format that I have collected over the years. Some of them
might be best described as war manuals, but regardless I do recall
seeing several illustrations that clearly show freeshooters slung up.
Gewhere, Pistolen, Revolver by Heinrich Müller shows a number of
illustrations and painings depicting slung rifles, as well as many
examples of early rifles that show mounting rings, slots, and the like.
De Geyn's book on weapon handling, "Waffenhandlung" is an example of a
fechtbuch that is concerned with not only melee weapons but firearms,
if you are interested. It however does not show slung rifles, but
rather the depicted freeshooters are using monopods.

While it's true that the standardized military firearms were not rifled
until much later than these illustrations date from, the freeshooter
was not enlisted in the military, but was rather a mercenary hired for
a campaign or even a battle. They were armed with their own personal
weapons, and had considerably more freedom on the field than a
conscript or even many officers. This may be why the freeshooter's use
of the sling is not included in military history, as their tactics were
not derived from the standardized drills which have been studied
extensively.

I have often visited the firearms museum in Cody, Wyoming and there are
many fine examples of rifled, reloadable breech loading cartridge
firearms, of which the earliest I have seen date back to the late
1500s. Many of these weapons feature sling mounts of varying kinds.

What I would find interesting is some sort of documentation to
demonstrate just when a musketeer, or rifleman, or even some
backwoodsman with marksmanship skills, took an accessory for carrying a
long firearm and turned it into a makeshift brace.

At some time one of these shooters passed his arm through the loop of
the sling hanging from the fore-stock, and then wrapped the sling
snugly across the back of his wrist before taking hold of that
fore-stock, to discover that the end of the barrel stopped moving
around so much. It might have happened sometime in the 18th century,
but I would wager that it was an unusual practice. It is more likely to
have come into general use in the later 19th century with the bolt
action rifle, Probably around the time of the French-Prussian War and
into the Spanish American and Boer Wars.

Savageduck

Old April 23rd 14, 11:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Oregonian Haruspex

On 2014-04-23 21:07:01 +0000, Oregonian Haruspex

On 2014-04-23 02:33:27 +0000, Oregonian Haruspex
On 2014-04-22 23:27:33 +0000, Oregonian Haruspex
said:
On 2014-03-30 22:18:43 +0000, RichA said:
[...]

I would not expect to find handy documentation outside of the martial
manuals / fechbuchen and period paintings. I would also contend that
rifle sling use was an unusual practice and outside of the parade
ground and rifle competition, it seems to remain so even today in our
motorhome mobile infantry.

Old April 25th 14, 08:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
YouDontNeedToKnowButItsNoëlle

Le 22/04/14 17:28, nospam a écrit :

what you want is a bracket that mounts on the camera but extends out
along the lens axis, and provides a tripod mount under the lens.

Yes, and then a string tripod with that ?

Noëlle Adam
Old April 25th 14, 08:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
YouDontNeedToKnowButItsNoëlle

Le 23/04/14 00:30, Eric Stevens a écrit :
On Tue, 22 Apr 2014 17:30:18 +0200, YouDontNeedToKnowButItsNoëlle
wrote:

Le 22/04/14 11:32, Eric Stevens a écrit :

See
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/ima..._1779-1200.jpg

Mine is this one :
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/80-200mm-f28-af.htm

It looks as though it was designed with no provision for fitting a
tripod mounting.

I know that.

Noëlle Adam
Old April 25th 14, 08:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
YouDontNeedToKnowButItsNoëlle

Le 22/04/14 17:54, PeterN a écrit :
On 4/22/2014 5:43 AM, YouDontNeedToKnowButItsNoëlle wrote:
Le 21/04/14 22:01, PeterN a écrit :

When hand holding (a tele lens,) I remove the tripod collar to reduce
the weight. I also turn off VR for my bird shooting.

I guess your birds are moving so you prefer high speed and fast
focusing.

Noëlle Adam

Yup!

My people on stage are moving, too, but I am glad they dont move so fast
as birds. 1/160 s is my own limit where I can stay steady with this
lense (that does not focus very fast). But more or less it is also the
limit where the people on stage are decently still even when moving.
Depends, dancers are terrible...But also some comedians.
Since the stage is dark, I cannot use faster speeds even with high isos.

Noëlle Adam
Old April 25th 14, 11:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

Le 22/04/14 11:32, Eric Stevens a écrit :

See
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/ima..._1779-1200.jpg

Mine is this one :
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/80-200mm-f28-af.htm

It looks as though it was designed with no provision for fitting a
tripod mounting.

I know that.

But others (including me) didn't.

Eric Stevens