SI - Work - Comments

Old March 25th 12, 04:45 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
PeterN

Default SI - Work - Comments

On 3/24/2012 2:53 PM, tony cooper wrote:

I mostly agree with your comments, but I am too lazy to repeat name and,
except where noted I don't have much to add to your comments:

FrankEss-worka: Far too cluttered. No one would ever guess the
subject is "work".

FrankEss-workb: I dunno if this says "work', but it's an interesting
scene.

Too me it's a representation of work. Nice presentation of the art of
others.

?-Amateur physicist: Really interesting project. Full credit for
imagination.

Nice capture. the facial expression says work.

Savageduck-(Genius Bar): Unusual review for the Duck, but Why did you
bother to post this?

Savageduck-(Juggler): That's better. Good grab. You brought in a
lot of elements...juggler, balls in the air, kid audience.

Savageduck-(Creekside): Very sharp photo and good catch of the man
with the smoke behind him, but not a really interesting scene.

Bowser-(Adult Club): Anyone who doesn't think the SI can be fun should
see this. What a find!

It would be nice to see more of the workers. ;-)

Bowser-(Helicopter): Nicely done.

That image just cries out of HDR

Bowser-(?): I wouldn't stand under that.

Conway-(Surveyor): Really?

Conway-(Construction): Archive shot is one thing, but a scan of a 50s
snapshot is stretching it too much.

Conway-(Construction2): Ibid.

MG-Painter: I like it. The curtain adds a good touch.

Browne-Surveyor: Not much here.

Browne-Lady Cop: Like Bowser's Adult Club, it's a fun photo.

Browne-Flyfishing: Technically what I expect from Alan. After reading
the threads on loss of detail at reduced size, I have to wonder if any
more detail in the background of trees would add anything to the
image. I think not.

Richa-(Rug seller): This is the kind of shot I go after. I like the
candid catches.

Richa-(Camera exchange): Again, I'd do that shot. (And have, but
with fewer in the crowd) Well composed for a candid.

to me the parties don't seem to be relating to each other. the seller
has zero interest in the buyers. Probably telling the photographer not
to take his picture.

Philo-(Manikin): It's interesting, but it took me too long to figure
out what was going on.

PeterNewman-Coming Home: I like this kind of shot. The viewer can
place himself as the subject. We've all been there.

Banks-(Helicopter): Strangely static for the scene. I want some blur
on those blades.

The best photo in the bunch (IMO) is Alan's fly fishing, but there are
several that are more interesting. Does that reflect what we are like
as photographers? Do some of us go for the interesting and some of us
go for the cover of some magazine?

I will not pick a best.
the potter and the helicopter are good examples of interesting work shots.

The biggest surprise is Peter Newman's. The guy who likes abstracts
presents a slice of life photo.

Tony Cooper - Sparks The there prosence is there, I owuld have preferred
a bit mor subject matter isolation.The light green shadows and turquoise
strip are distracting to my eye.

Tony cooper - lady barber - why is it necessary to show all the junk in
the barber shop/ I am sure why it was included.

Tony Cooper the potter. Very well done. We can see his creativity in his
interesting hands. Well done.
My only nit is the inclusion of the frame in the upper right.

--
Peter
Old March 25th 12, 06:52 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Pete A

On 2012-03-25 18:21:48 +0100, tony cooper said:

On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 11:45:19 -0400, PeterN
wrote:

On 3/24/2012 2:53 PM, tony cooper wrote:

I mostly agree with your comments, but I am too lazy to repeat name and,
except where noted I don't have much to add to your comments:
Bowser-(Helicopter): Nicely done.

That image just cries out of HDR

*Nothing* cries out for HDR! HDR images cry out for restraint.

The _only_ fashion that I'm glad didn't fade away is the miniskirt. HDR
nearly always reminds me of ultra-high pink platform shoes with
horizontal stripes (pass me the sick bucket, please).

I enjoy producing some of my bizarre abstractions, but, like eating a
whole jar of cookies, it only seems like a good idea at the time - it
shouldn't become an addiction.

Old March 25th 12, 08:01 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Charles E. Hardwidge[_2_]

wrote:

Tony cooper - lady barber - why is it necessary to show all the junk in
the barber shop/ I am sure why it was included.

Ah, but that was the intent...to find an old-fashioned barbershop with
all of the "junk" and old-timey things that barbershops used to have
before men starting getting their hair cut at beauty salons. It took
me quite a bit of searching to find one. I wish I had a wide-angle
lens and could have included more of the junk.

I *knew* Tony was hiding a "crop" in there somewhere.

Eeeeeh, very clever.

--
Charles E. Hardwidge
Old March 26th 12, 01:14 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Frank S

"PeterN" wrote in message
On 3/24/2012 2:53 PM, tony cooper wrote:

I mostly agree with your comments, but I am too lazy to repeat name and,
except where noted I don't have much to add to your comments:

FrankEss-worka: Far too cluttered. No one would ever guess the
subject is "work".

FrankEss-workb: I dunno if this says "work', but it's an interesting
scene.

Too me it's a representation of work. Nice presentation of the art of
others.

[...]

--
Peter

Thank you, Peter.

In my head I could see the sculptor sculpting, which was surely work, and it
resulted in his work, which worked for me.

My submission notes:

b: A portion of Ricardo Brecedo's "Grape Pickers" welded-steel sculpture
near Borrego Springs, east San Diego County, California. There are 128
others of his works to discover and enjoy in the area, including a
350-foot-long "Dragon Snake".

a: View (from my front porch) of construction on the community college
campus. This is about as near as I want to get to "work".

I was - still am - convinced that the orange and green safety vests on the
site will convey "workers" to the perspicacious; "work" is included in
"workers", even for (wonder why I no longer see his posts) the vaunted
appreciator, Tony Cooper.

Any road, I do enjoy looking at photos, and appreciate the effort that goes
into them. What inhibits my likelihood of submitting? I feel as if when I do
put up some work, it is possible that some will attract comments, and I
would then owe comments to the community. I'm too slothful to guarantee I
will respond, and remain forever in debt.

--
Frank ess

Old March 27th 12, 12:04 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bowser

wrote:

Bowser-(Adult Club): Anyone who doesn't think the SI can be fun should
see this. What a find!

It would be nice to see more of the workers. ;-)

Talk to my wife. For some unknown reason we never went inside. We did,
however, see them on the porch later in the day, and some were very
good looking.

Not that I was looking.
Old March 27th 12, 12:34 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

Bowser-(Adult Club): Anyone who doesn't think the SI can be fun should
see this. What a find!

It would be nice to see more of the workers. ;-)

Talk to my wife. For some unknown reason we never went inside. We did,
however, see them on the porch later in the day, and some were very
good looking.

Not that I was looking.

I am sure that they would have been more than happy to arrange a
"Family Plan" appointment for you and your wife.

Savageduck

Old March 30th 12, 01:02 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
PeterN

On 3/25/2012 8:14 PM, Frank S wrote:

"PeterN" wrote in message
[...]

While I hope for comments, good or bad, i like to share my thoughts with
others. i learn a lot from simply viewing. Comments are a plus, and the
comment lets me know that at least someone is interested enough to look.
Keep participating.

--
Peter
Old March 30th 12, 01:04 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
PeterN

wrote:

Bowser-(Adult Club): Anyone who doesn't think the SI can be fun should
see this. What a find!

It would be nice to see more of the workers. ;-)

Talk to my wife. For some unknown reason we never went inside. We did,
however, see them on the porch later in the day, and some were very
good looking.

Not that I was looking.

Would your wife talk to me after I encourage you to go inside?
Purely for the advancement of photography, of course?
--
Peter