Convert 8mm video to DVD

Old June 23rd 08, 04:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jeff

Default Convert 8mm video to DVD

What is the best way to convert 8mm video to DVD. Should I use a TV video
card or USB device and recommendations. Thanks

Old June 23rd 08, 05:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jürgen Exner

"Jeff" wrote:
What is the best way to convert 8mm video to DVD. Should I use a TV video
card or USB device and recommendations. Thanks

I think taking screen shots using the video mode in a P&S is a rather
poor way, but probably the best you can do using digital photo
equipment.

You may want to ask in a NG that actually deals with video, thou. People
there are probably more familiar with video equipment.

jue
Old June 23rd 08, 05:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Heslop

Jeff wrote:

What is the best way to convert 8mm video to DVD. Should I use a TV video
card or USB device and recommendations. Thanks

It could depend on a number of things, including how fast your
processor is and your usb speed. Also resolutions, check what is on
offer for what kind of recording quality you're after. I haven't used
a dvd device but have used 2 tv cards, the cheapest had smaller
resolutions yet seemed to give cleaner pictures, the more expensive
didn't have as many connections and seemed a grainier picture.

Now I use a dvd recorder with hard drive for these things, record to
hard drive in best quality for length and do any snipping there before
transferring to disc.

--
Paul (We won't die of devotion)
Stop and Look
Old June 23rd 08, 06:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jeff

They are some old videos I would like to preserve on DVD's. I will try a
video card with TV in see the resolution. Thanks

Old June 23rd 08, 06:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios[_2_]

Ï "Jeff" Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá
What is the best way to convert 8mm video to DVD. Should I use a TV video
card or USB device and recommendations. Thanks

Have you got a playback device (an 8 mm camera) for the tapes. The best
approach (IMHO) is to use a digital camera as an ADC (Analog to Digital
Converter). The process is explained in the digital camera's manual. That
way, I could make a dvd from a VHS tape. The analogue signal goes to the
digital camera, then streamed through firewire to your computer. Everything
else is like burning any DVD with footage of your digital camera (I presume
you have one).

HTH,

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering

Old June 23rd 08, 07:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jeff

Are you talking about a digital camcorder or camera? I have a digital
camera but are not sure what you mean.

Old June 23rd 08, 07:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jeff

The recorder is a burner on my computer. I don't have a video card with TV
in. I would have to get a card or looking for another way.

"ransley" wrote in message
On Jun 23, 10:49 am, "Jeff" wrote:
What is the best way to convert 8mm video to DVD. Should I use a TV video
card or USB device and recommendations. Thanks

Easiest and maybe best is playback on the 8mm camera output to dvd
recorder

Old June 23rd 08, 08:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Heslop

"ransley" wrote in message
On Jun 23, 10:49 am, "Jeff" wrote:
What is the best way to convert 8mm video to DVD. Should I use a TV video
card or USB device and recommendations. Thanks

Easiest and maybe best is playback on the 8mm camera output to dvd
recorder

a hard disc dvd recorder usually does help, specially if you need to
edit.

Old June 24th 08, 06:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios[_2_]

Ï "Jeff" Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá
Are you talking about a digital camcorder or camera? I have a digital
camera but are not sure what you mean.

"Tzortzakakis Dimitrios" wrote in message

Ï "Jeff" Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá
What is the best way to convert 8mm video to DVD. Should I use a TV
video card or USB device and recommendations. Thanks

Have you got a playback device (an 8 mm camera) for the tapes. The best
approach (IMHO) is to use a digital camera as an ADC (Analog to Digital
Converter). The process is explained in the digital camera's manual. That
way, I could make a dvd from a VHS tape. The analogue signal goes to the
digital camera, then streamed through firewire to your computer.
Everything else is like burning any DVD with footage of your digital
camera (I presume you have one).

HTH,

--

A digital camcorder, sorry. It has the feature of converting an analogue
video signal (from VHS or 8mm)to a digital DV stream, that can be imported