Need Lens Suggestion for Canon Digital Rebel

Old November 29th 06, 11:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Daryl Bryant

Default Need Lens Suggestion for Canon Digital Rebel

Depending on what you're shooting I would use a Canon 50mm f/1.8 - just move
closer to zoom-in cost is about $70 US
But, don't shoot at f/1.8 ie DOF is a bit small. Also mite want to use a
diffuser (parchment paper works pretty good) to diffuse the concentration of
light

if you're shooting using a macro lenz or any really close up work, you'll
need a macro flash unit - fits on the end of lenz

--
Bing Bang Boom Voila Done!
"Barb" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello - We purchased a Canon Digital Rebel nearly a year ago because my
sister had one that took marvelous photos. 95% of the work we do with
the camera is close up work for ebay, however, and we find that on the
Macro setting, the flash pops up and then the flash washes out the
closeup. If we by-pass the flash, it seems our photos are always fuzzy
and not sharp...a little better with a tripod but still not great, and
because of the volume of photos we take in different locations around
the house, using a tripod is a real pain. My Fujifilm S5000 does a far
superior job with closeups, but we bought the Rebel thinking that
eventually my Fuji is going to crap out since it's got tens of
thousands of actuations. Also apparently I was an idiot not to
research the basic fact that one must look through the viewfinder to
see the shot with the Rebel, and I've got monovision with my contact
lenses, so I don't see anything well through the viewfinder with one
eye shut, and it's kind of pot luck if the shot comes out decent.

Since we paid a good chunk of change for this Canon Camera, can anyone
recommend a lens that can function well as a macro, and possibly with
an image stabilizer to avoid camera shake. We tried out the EF 28-105
f/3.5-4.5 II USM that we are selling for a consignor, but even that
didn't seem to work well. It could just be that the camera is not
calibrated correctly - when we purchased it in barely used condition
from a private party, we weren't told that it was a refurb. There is a
3 year warranty on it that was transferred to our name, but to get it
looked at we will need to send it in for God knows how long. Any ideas
for a decent lens that won't set us back too much $$? Thanks in
advance.

Old November 29th 06, 11:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
King Sardon

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 15:09:48 -0800, JC Dill wrote:

On 28 Nov 2006 10:39:50 -0800, "Barb"
wrote:

Hello - We purchased a Canon Digital Rebel nearly a year ago because my
sister had one that took marvelous photos. 95% of the work we do with
the camera is close up work for ebay, however, and we find that on the
Macro setting, the flash pops up and then the flash washes out the
closeup. If we by-pass the flash, it seems our photos are always fuzzy
and not sharp...

Your problem isn't the lens, it's the lighting. Spending ~$100 on
lights and a light box will be a much better investment than buying a
different lens.

The problem is not the lens, and the problem is not lighting. The
problem is the person behind the camera.
Old November 30th 06, 03:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Philippe

wrote:

Hello - We purchased a Canon Digital Rebel nearly a year ago because my
sister had one that took marvelous photos. 95% of the work we do with
the camera is close up work for ebay, however, and we find that on the
Macro setting, the flash pops up and then the flash washes out the
closeup. If we by-pass the flash, it seems our photos are always fuzzy
and not sharp...

Your problem isn't the lens, it's the lighting. Spending ~$100 on
lights and a light box will be a much better investment than buying a
different lens.

The problem is not the lens, and the problem is not lighting. The
problem is the person behind the camera.

Wow.. that was really helpful.

You should chip in with these jewels of information more often.

P.
Old December 1st 06, 01:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Roy G

wrote:

Hello - We purchased a Canon Digital Rebel nearly a year ago because my
sister had one that took marvelous photos. 95% of the work we do with
the camera is close up work for ebay, however, and we find that on the
Macro setting, the flash pops up and then the flash washes out the
closeup. If we by-pass the flash, it seems our photos are always fuzzy
and not sharp...
Your problem isn't the lens, it's the lighting. Spending ~$100 on
lights and a light box will be a much better investment than buying a
different lens.

The problem is not the lens, and the problem is not lighting. The
problem is the person behind the camera.

Wow.. that was really helpful.

You should chip in with these jewels of information more often.

P.

He is right.

The OP is not complaining about too small an image or too dark an image, he
is complaining about a Fuzzy image.

It is not Camera Shake cos it still exists when using a tripod.

The OP did not say that only a part of the image is sharp, and the rest is
Fuzzy, he seemed to imply that it is all Fuzzy.

All this means that the image is not focussed, because the camera is closer
than the closest focussing distance.

He should be using either a Macro lens ( Overkill for his needs) or a
supplementary close up lens.

He does not know the basics, and all the crap he is being fed about Ring
Flashes and Macro lenses, is not explaining the fact that he needs to ensure
his subject is in focus.

Roy G

Old December 1st 06, 03:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul J Gans

Barb wrote:
Thank you, all of you, for wonderful suggestions regarding using this
camera. I would definitely agree we're talking user error - although
it's just not me, it's my husband as well, so I thought perhaps
hardware might play a tiny role, too. There are some wonderful ideas
mentioned here. I guess my biggest problem is trying to be efficient
at being able to take lots of photos, from 3-6 feet and then close ups
of the same item or part of an item, in reasonable daylight, without
feeling like every shot has to be set up like a professional studio -
my profit margin is slim and too much time invested in photographing
pretty much negates any profits, however a beautiful clear photo
generally adds a lot to whether and for how much an item sells. And
ultimately I want to use this camera more, but I shy away from it
because it's such a crap shoot if a shot turns out! I'm open to more
suggestions, but will certainly take these to heart and thanks so much
for everyone offering their help! Barb

I've not read to the end of the thread so it is possible
that someone else has already made these suggestions.

First, I also have a Canon 300D and the kit lens. Second,
most seem to have missed your statement that you have
successfully taken pictures with a film camera.

That tells me that you know about framing, etc., and that's
not the problem.

My *guess* is that you use 400 speed film. The Canon is normally
set to use 100 speed. That means that you will probably be
two shutter speeds too slow. Thus if your film camera takes
a picture at 1/50 of a second, you will be using about 1/12
of a second, way too slow for hand held.

The cure for this is simple. The 300D can be set to any
of the following "film" speeds: 100, 200, 400, 800, and 1600.
The higher the speed, the more grain you will get in the
photo. I'd set the film speed to 400. There is very little
grain there.

To do this it is best to read the manual. It isn't hard. The
trick is that you must NOT be in one of the preset modes but
in one of the "creative" zones instead. I'd use the "P" but
I have other suggestions below.

In "P" you can set the "film" speed. Now try to take a picture.

Another point: the Canon will give far more pixels than you
need. So because you have trouble aiming the camera, I'd
not try to fill the frame with the item being photographed,
but instead I'd crop the resulting picture. You probably do
this already from the digitized film pics.

Try to avoid using the flash as it may well wash out the
colors. Did you use in with film? If so, use the camera
in the same way.

You can set the kit lens to be the same as your camera lens
but remember that the "film" in the digital camera is smaller
than in a film camera. The proper factor for this camera is
1.6. So if you used a 50mm lens with your film camera you want
to use 50/1.6 = 30mm (approximately) on your 300D. If you used
80mm with film, use 50mm on the 300D, and so on.

So with the digital "film" speed set to what you were using
and with the lens set to what you were using, everything else
should be the same. The camera will autofocus and choose the
other settings for you.

If you are not getting enough depth of field you can move the
roller knob on top of the camera when in "P" mode. This will
cycle through all the shutter speed/lens openings suitable for
the available light. This will NOT work for flash. That's another
problem.

I've done some close up work and if there was not enough light
I simply brought over a desk lamp and used that in addition to
the light from a bright window.

You can read up on what the other settings on the camera do.
I'm talking about the Av and Tv settings. These will allow
you to set the lens opening (and it picks the shutter speed)
or lets you set the shutter speed and lets you pick the lens
opening.

I do NOT think you need a special lens or special lighting
or anything like that. Do what you did with your film
camera.

----- Paul J. Gans

--
--- Paul J. Gans
Old December 1st 06, 07:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Arnor

Hi Barb,

Barb wrote:
suggestions, but will certainly take these to heart and thanks so much
for everyone offering their help! Barb

Could you post links to maybe one or two of the images that you have
problems with? Having an image to look at makes it much easier to make
suggestions

Best regards,

Arnor Baldvinsson
San Antonio, Texas