Full-frame MF digital sensor -- so what happened?

Old October 18th 05, 10:30 PM
Neil Gould

Default Full-frame MF digital sensor -- so what happened?

Hi all,

In another discussion group, I was made aware of this product, which is
rather dated, now. Apparently, this product was presented at a trade
show... so, other than the price, what killed it?

Here's some older info :

http://www.epi-centre.com/reports/9604cs.html

and more recently, they introduced a single-shot color back :

http://www.epi-centre.com/reports/9610ecs.html

Regards,

Neil

Old October 18th 05, 11:37 PM
Lorem Ipsum

"Neil Gould" wrote in message
Hi all,

In another discussion group, I was made aware of this product, which is
rather dated, now. Apparently, this product was presented at a trade
show... so, other than the price, what killed it?

Here's some older info :
http://www.epi-centre.com/reports/9604cs.html
and more recently, they introduced a single-shot color back :
http://www.epi-centre.com/reports/9610ecs.html

The first article is lightweight. I met and partied in 96 or so with a guy
that worked (or contracted) with them and he said they had an 8x10" CCD. He
was peculiar enough that we let him do the beer run. A six-pack at a time.
Once. Anyway, it's bull that the military dropped interest because of
expenses. The word Pixel entered the aerial recon vocabulary in the sixties.
Yes, they had it then, and they ain't going to give up on it now. (Never
mind the stories about dropping film from satelites; it's not the whole
truth.)

Regarding the second, well it's a story of a marketing failure. The
photograph they used in their promotional material just plain freaks out
everyone who looks for a serious effort. See:
http://www.epi-centre.com/reports/images/9610p.jpg

I mean, can you really go back once you've seen that?
Or this? http://www.epi-centre.com/reports/images/9610q.jpg

Anywho, it's pretty much a toss-up for me: Comfortable retirement or the
purchase of a Dicomed sensor. Ponder, ponder.

Old October 19th 05, 03:17 AM
no_name

Neil Gould wrote:

Hi all,

In another discussion group, I was made aware of this product, which is
rather dated, now. Apparently, this product was presented at a trade
show... so, other than the price, what killed it?

Here's some older info :

http://www.epi-centre.com/reports/9604cs.html

and more recently, they introduced a single-shot color back :

http://www.epi-centre.com/reports/9610ecs.html

Regards,

Neil

Apparently out of business.

I found the following on a United States Patent and Trademark Office web
site, dated Sept 10, 2002:

Service by Publication

A petition to cancel the registration identified below having
been filed, and the notice of such proceeding sent to registrant at the
last known address having been returned by the Postal Service as
undeliverable, notice is hereby given that unless the registrant listed
herein, its assigns or legal representatives, shall enter an appearance
within thirty days of this publication, the cancellation will proceed
as in the case of default.

Dicomed, Inc., Burnsville, MN, Registration No. 2,108,679 for the
mark "DICOMED", Cancellation No. 92/040,193.

ROCHELLE RICKS, Paralegal
Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, for
ROBERT M. ANDERSON
Acting Assistant Commissioner
For Trademarks

They evidently didn't own the chips they used, purchasing them from the
company that makes the chips for the LEAF backs.

Possibly absorbed by Better Light.
Old October 19th 05, 01:23 PM
Neil Gould

Recently, no_name posted:

Neil Gould wrote:

In another discussion group, I was made aware of this product, which
is rather dated, now. Apparently, this product was presented at a
trade show... so, other than the price, what killed it?

Apparently out of business.

[...]

They evidently didn't own the chips they used, purchasing them from
the company that makes the chips for the LEAF backs.

Possibly absorbed by Better Light.

I was mainly curious about the lack of pursuit of a 6x6cm sensor since one
was apparently "available" as far back as 1996.

Neil

Old October 19th 05, 10:01 PM
no_name

Neil Gould wrote:

Recently, no_name posted:

Neil Gould wrote:

In another discussion group, I was made aware of this product, which
is rather dated, now. Apparently, this product was presented at a
trade show... so, other than the price, what killed it?

Apparently out of business.

[...]

They evidently didn't own the chips they used, purchasing them from
the company that makes the chips for the LEAF backs.

Possibly absorbed by Better Light.

I was mainly curious about the lack of pursuit of a 6x6cm sensor since one
was apparently "available" as far back as 1996.

Neil

The 6x6cm sensor seems to have been vapor-wear, although I believe
Better Light does offer a scanning back for 4" x 5" and may still offer
some kind of scanning back for selected medium format cameras.

Doubt it has a "full frame" sensor (i.e. 6x6cm though.

Old October 19th 05, 11:44 PM
Brian Reynolds

In article ,
no_name wrote:
Apparently out of business.

[snip]

They evidently didn't own the chips they used, purchasing them from the
company that makes the chips for the LEAF backs.

Possibly absorbed by Better Light.

I believe that Mike Collette, president of Better Light, designed the
backs for Dicomed. For a while Better Light provided support for
Dicomed backs after Dicomed stopped selling them.

--
Brian Reynolds | "It's just like flying a spaceship.
| You push some buttons and see
http://www.panix.com/~reynolds/ | what happens." -- Zapp Brannigan
NAR# 54438 |